PDA

View Full Version : What's your opinion on this potential lifesaver?

lspencer534
01-15-2016, 7:56pm
This interesting concept could save thousands of lives from plane crashes.The researcher (Tatarenko Vladimir Nikolaevich) has an interesting solution to prevent plane crash loss of lives.

What's your opinion?

How to save lives plane crash - YouTube

MrPeabody
01-15-2016, 8:01pm
I can see where that could work, but it won't be cheap.

lspencer534
01-15-2016, 8:23pm
I can see where that could work, but it won't be cheap.

I agree...but with the technology we have to land on Mars, a parachute/rocket landing is certainly feasible and maybe not that expensive. Parachutes, rockets, and inflatable bags are not that expensive, and neither would the detachment device for the passenger cabin. Perhaps a generator for minimal cooling/heating of the passengers could be done, along with a food and water supply, and he generator could power a location device.

Plus, the pilot could direct the plane to a safe crash area (White House, Congress, Planned Parenthood) before the flight crew ejects. I see nothing but win/win....

Jeff '79
01-15-2016, 8:25pm
How would you know which plane to put it in?

RonC5
01-15-2016, 8:25pm
I see many obstacles for that to be practical.

1. It would need to detach cleanly and be propelled away from the main fuselage.
2. There would need to be redundant systems in place for detachment, stabilization, and the chutes.
3. Aircraft systems would need quick detaches as well - HVAC, electrical, waste systems, etc.
4. Landings will be a bitch. The propulsion system indicated would be worthless as shown. It is blasting down on the unit.

lspencer534
01-15-2016, 8:33pm
How would you know which plane to put it in?

The ones that are gonna crash. Doh!

Jeff '79
01-15-2016, 8:33pm
The ones that are gonna crash. Doh!

:D

lspencer534
01-15-2016, 8:35pm

1. It would need to detach cleanly and be propelled away from the main fuselage.
2. There would need to be redundant systems in place for detachment, stabilization, and the chutes.
3. Aircraft systems would need quick detaches as well - HVAC, electrical, waste systems, etc.
4. Landings will be a bitch. The propulsion system indicated would be worthless as shown. It is blasting down on the unit.

1. Doable.
2. Doable.
3. Doable.
4. Agreed...but it can be made to work.

MrPeabody
01-15-2016, 8:45pm
I agree...but with the technology we have to land on Mars, a parachute/rocket landing is certainly feasible and maybe not that expensive. Parachutes, rockets, and inflatable bags are not that expensive, and neither would the detachment device for the passenger cabin. Perhaps a generator for minimal cooling/heating of the passengers could be done, along with a food and water supply, and he generator could power a location device.

Plus, the pilot could direct the plane to a safe crash area (White House, Congress, Planned Parenthood) before the flight crew ejects. I see nothing but win/win....

Or failing that, a local courthouse to take out as many lawyers as possible.

Admiral Blue
01-15-2016, 9:49pm
I swear, I thought of this 20+ years ago. Some small planes now have chute systems.

Who cares about propulsion! Just let the plane float down.

ApexOversteer
01-15-2016, 9:54pm
Yes, it can all be done, but now do it in the real world and remain profitable in the airline sector. Go on...

Those airline guys wouldn't take a plane out of service 10 minutes ahead of their scheduled maintenance interval to install a 10¢ part that would save their own mothers... they can't afford to.

Admiral Blue
01-15-2016, 9:57pm
True.

"Fly 2nd Chance Airlines! We might be xxx.xx more expensive per ticket but at least if something goes wrong, you might be able to walk away."

stingraymyway
01-16-2016, 5:39am
Won't matter if the terrorists bomb tears the passenger compartment apart. May save a few, and it's great in the event of engine failure.

wwomanC6
01-16-2016, 6:11am

5. The detachable cabin would need its own separate pressurization and oxygen system.

RonC5
01-16-2016, 6:12am
1. Doable.
2. Doable.
3. Doable.
4. Agreed...but it can be made to work.

It is all doable, but that would be one pricey aeromachine. And I know pricey flying things.

Strats-N-Vettes
01-16-2016, 9:26am
Seems to me that attaching the passenger compartment after its loaded, and detaching it upon arrival would take a ton of time.

Then there is the landing thrusters that's attached to the very cables attaching the pods to the chutes.
When the thrusters turn on to soften the landing, seems it would burn thru the cables and the pod would drop.

Dave
01-16-2016, 10:04am
Interesting solution? Mildly
Practical solution? Not in the least

69camfrk
01-16-2016, 10:53am
5. The detachable cabin would need its own separate pressurization and oxygen system.

Well, yes and no. People would start coming to around the 10,000 foot mark probably at the latest. A generous GOX bottle could keep the masks filled as they floated down when pressure was lost.

CertInsaneC5
01-16-2016, 10:59am
Won't matter if the terrorists bomb tears the passenger compartment apart. May save a few, and it's great in the event of engine failure.

This.

Stangkiller
01-16-2016, 3:24pm
Ok so which recent crashes would this have saved lives on? It's a solution but not to a real problem.

Although I could see this being a way to speed up I boarding and off boarding of passengers/ reducing the gate time for the planes, especially for the larger planes.

SQUIRMIN VERMIN 84
01-17-2016, 4:43am
It would make it easier to find/recover all the bodies in one place...