PDA

View Full Version : Dogs doing what we humans can't...

lspencer534
01-13-2016, 11:02am
In many ways, of course. Let me preface this by saying that I'm a law and order type of guy: You commit a crime and go to prison, you deserve whatever kind of treatment you get, the moral being, if you can't do the time, don't do the crime. But...I also believe that the ones who can be rehabilitated to lead a decent (and crime-free) life should be rehabilitated.

I know nothing about the inmates in this video, whether they were convicted of violent crimes or not. One inmate says he's been locked up for 14 year, so if his crime wasn't violent it was certainly serious. Prisons are criticized for doing a poor job at rehabilitation; I dunno if that's even their job. I also don't know if this video was staged, whether this idea works in the long run, and whether it may cause more violence, such as if one inmate hurts or kills another inmate's dog. At first blush, though, it looks promising to me:

https://youtu.be/8SEiZSVflNU

Comments?

DAB
01-13-2016, 11:07am
they have plenty of time on their hands, may as well put it to good use.

wonder what my cousin is doing. 14 years is a long time for him to ponder his deeds.

lspencer534
01-13-2016, 11:17am
they have plenty of time on their hands, may as well put it to good use.

wonder what my cousin is doing. 14 years is a long time for him to ponder his deeds.

I wonder if he'll get a dog. Do you think a pet would help him change his ways?

Bill
01-13-2016, 11:51am
I like this program. You'd just have to be veeeeerrry selective about who gets a dog. I bet many prisoners are psychopaths who shouldn't be anywhere near an animal. This would have to be monitored VERY carefully to prevent abuse of the dogs by the prisoners, many of whom probably have difficulty handling stress without becoming violent.

I wouldn't want to see a guy beat the dog because the dog pooped in the cell, and the inmate stepped in it, for example.

My vote is yes....but with very stringent monitoring.

lspencer534
01-13-2016, 11:54am
I like this program. You'd just have to be veeeeerrry selective about who gets a dog. I bet many prisoners are psychopaths who shouldn't be anywhere near an animal. This would have to be monitored VERY carefully to prevent abuse of the dogs by the prisoners, many of whom probably have difficulty handling stress without becoming violent.

I wouldn't want to see a guy beat the dog because the dog pooped in the cell, and the inmate stepped in it, for example.

My vote is yes....but with very stringent monitoring.

Good points. Perhaps only non-violent criminals with no convictions for violent crimes? And no other bad personality traits of course.

Bill
01-13-2016, 12:17pm
Good points. Perhaps only non-violent criminals with no convictions for violent crimes? And no other bad personality traits of course.

I think that anyone who has innate empathy could be considered. People prone to violence shouldn't necessarily be excluded, but should undergo some sort of therapy first, followed by closely monitored trials, etc. Dogs could help these folks with things they may not have gotten in life thus far.....learning responsibility, patience, self control, and developing feelings of self worth, as well as learning how to positively interact with others.

As stated, though, these dogs would have to be kept from psychopaths, and very careful monitoring would need to be done.

I also wonder what happens when the inmates are released. They are turned out and now have a dog to take care of, as well as taking care of themselves. This would require a lot of followup to make sure these prisoners have the skillset to reenter society and take proper care of the dogs entrusted to them. They would have to hit the ground running.

DAB
01-13-2016, 12:20pm
I wonder if he'll get a dog. Do you think a pet would help him change his ways?

doubtful.

island14
01-13-2016, 12:31pm

And anyone with prior offenses for bestiality.

And can imagine some would also get violent if someone was messing with their bitch.

Kerrmudgeon
01-13-2016, 12:37pm
Sounds great in theory, but I wonder about all the real sickos in stir....http://s6.tinypic.com/10n5a3q_th.jpg

lspencer534
01-13-2016, 1:00pm
And anyone with prior offenses for bestiality.

And can imagine some would also get violent if someone was messing with their bitch.

I would. :leaving:

Hoog
01-13-2016, 1:33pm
... One inmate says he's been locked up for 14 year, so if his crime wasn't violent it was certainly serious. ...
Or he got busted with an oz.

Sneaks
01-14-2016, 8:12am
We have a program like this at work. The dogs are trained to work with special needs persons, and then given to said people after their training. There is a very stringent background requirement for an inmate to receive a dog, and only inmates on the honor tier are eligible. Once an inmate gets a canine, they are solely responsible for the animal. And as for as I know, they must adhere to a strict training regimen. I've heard a lot of good things about it from guys that work inside. I don't personally know because I work the perimeter waiting to shoot one of the sumbiches should they ever decide they might want to make a break for it.
So far we havent had any problems.