PDA

View Full Version : Find the sniper

99 pewtercoupe
01-11-2016, 8:35am
See if you can find the camouflaged German sniper pointing a gun directly at you - Business Insider (http://www.businessinsider.com/german-sniper-pointing-a-gun-directly-at-you-2015-1)

Click the link to view the images

Simon Menner contacted the German army in 2010 to see whether it would be interested in helping him create images in which members of the army are hidden, or, "Camouflage," like the title of his series. Turns out they were, and the images ended up going viral.

Menner arranged two separate shoots, one in a "boring" forest in northern Germany with soldiers who were young and inexperienced. The second shoot, in the German Alps, was done with a group of elite soldiers.

"I found it quite interesting to work with soldiers who had been ordered to follow my instructions," Menner wrote via email. "I tried to be as respectful to them as possible, but nothing of what I told them was questioned in any way."

Menner think of his work as a conceptual take on conflict and war. He said the idea of conflict for him isn't just about battle, it is also a reflection on society — including the ways in which branding and marketing influence consumers.

Because it's not a documentary project, Menner said part of the fun was trying to find the hidden snipers. While he is using real people and creating images in which the snipers are actually hidden, many of the comments he has received from viewers questioned the authenticity of the images, something he finds amusing.

"First of all, it is real," he wrote. "Whoever has doubts about that should contact the German Army. There were snipers present in every single shot and they were in fact, ordered to aim at the camera, so they could see me, even though I was almost never able to see them. The professional training they have received means that in some of the images, no trace of them can be seen, even if you look at the image pixel by pixel. This is exactly how a sniper in a forest is supposed to appear."

8Up
01-11-2016, 9:18am
Amazing how many 'faces' you start to see in those rocks when you zoom in. Cammo is an amazing thing when its done right.

Dave
01-11-2016, 9:23am
Not too difficult to pick out the most likely objects in those images when you know there's a sniper hidden. If you didn't know though... damn.

Fasglas
01-11-2016, 9:39am
Not too difficult to pick out the most likely objects in those images when you know there's a sniper hidden. If you didn't know though... damn.

Rarely do snipers set up signage advertising their presence.

syf350
01-11-2016, 10:59am
would have not seen any without the cheating. but im colorblind, and though i see in color, im really bad about picking out details like this kind of stuff.

joecaver
01-11-2016, 11:20am
I guess I'd be dead. Even knowing and looking, I never saw them.

carlton_fritz
01-12-2016, 7:10pm
Amazing how many 'faces' you start to see in those rocks when you zoom in. Cammo is an amazing thing when its done right.
You can zoom?:shots: