PDA

View Full Version : This is my 1956 Thunderbird...

lspencer534
01-09-2016, 3:13pm
It's a very rare color, Thunderbird Gray, that was discontinued early in production. My car was built in November, 1955, and less than 20 were made in this color:

http://i65.tinypic.com/2hcq137.jpg

Note a rare option, driving lights. I have a set of amber bulbs for fog lights.

3/4 front view:

http://i63.tinypic.com/2rqf6vq.jpg
I do have fender skirts but prefer the look without them. These are optional wire wheel covers:

http://i68.tinypic.com/2hzq2hu.jpg
Pretty, but a pain to install and remove. They have clips that allached to the wheels; the outer ring can be pulled away from the wheel about 1.5" for washing/waxing and checking tire pressure...just don't let them snap back in place on your fingers--it hurts!

Continenal kit:

http://i63.tinypic.com/fuq0qu.jpg
It also has back-up lights, another rare option, believe it or not.

The interior:

http://i63.tinypic.com/bhga48.jpg
The horn ring is original and perfect. It has the usual gauges: Tach, temp, gas and oil, plus radio and 3-speed stick transmission. Everything works.

The door panels:

http://i67.tinypic.com/2n80sk6.jpg
The trim is engine-turned aluminum and very sporty. The turning on the later parts and repros isn't nearly as distinct.

Engine:

http://i66.tinypic.com/6ihfub.jpg
312 CI, 245 HP engine, power steering. I replaced the original carb, intake, and distibutor with a 1957 type: 4-BBL Holley carb, 1957 intake and distributor for more power and reliability. I still have the original parts.

Soft top:
http://i63.tinypic.com/2ivfyoy.jpg
It's Haartz cloth that I put on myself, although nobody believes me. I also have a back hardtop.

I did a body-off restoration about 20 years ago. The frame was sand-blasted, minor rust in the rocker panels was repaired, beautiful paint, every component refurbished or replaced, rechromed bumpers, driven less than 500 miles since. I just replaced the gas tank, fuel pump and fuel filter and rebuilt the carb because the tank was a little rusty inside.

Not trying to sell the car here, but I will put it on the market in the Spring. I've owned it for about 40 years, have the factory invoice. I'd drive this car anywhere with conficence.

Olustee bus
01-09-2016, 3:19pm
Very nice. I would have dried it though.

Dan Dlabay
01-09-2016, 3:21pm
Man that car looks good. Like the color.:seasix::cert:

CertInsaneC5
01-09-2016, 3:27pm
You left it out in the rain? :faint: :ohnoes: :willy:

lspencer534
01-09-2016, 3:29pm
You left it out in the rain? :faint: :ohnoes: :willy:

I was working on it this morning under the portico, and a blowing rain started. No harm done.

Kerrmudgeon
01-09-2016, 3:31pm
Very nice Larry. I actually like the 5 and 6 better than the bigger finned 7. they're a little more subtle. And I've never seen that colour before....very cool. titanium almost.
What do you expect to get for it in the spring? :bigears:

Is that the last year it was on the road.....o8?

99 pewtercoupe
01-09-2016, 3:32pm
Very nice looking car Spence :seasix:

Chuck A
01-09-2016, 3:39pm
very nice, indeed

ApexOversteer
01-09-2016, 3:40pm
$40K/$50K retail...

lspencer534
01-09-2016, 3:45pm
Very nice Larry. I actually like the 5 and 6 better than the bigger finned 7. they're a little more subtle. And I've never seen that colour before....very cool. titanium almost.
What do you expect to get for it in the spring? :bigears:

Is that the last year it was on the road.....o8?

Not, it's been on the road regularly; I'm just negligent about putting tag decals on...also inspection stickers. I've never bought an inspection sticker. Fortunately they were abolished here last year.

I like the 55 and 56 better, too, although I don't care for the 55's 6-volt system. The 56 had the lowest production figure of the series.

lspencer534
01-09-2016, 3:46pm
$40K/$50K retail...

That's what I'm hoping for.

ApexOversteer
01-09-2016, 4:00pm
That's what I'm hoping for.

She's a daisy, man... love that grey. It's too bad color-matching the hardtop was an option in '56 and not standard, she'd look amazing with a matching hat.

IMO, I would find a way to have it photographed by someone who can really capture the color in a beautiful setting. With that color, you could really grab a hold of someone's unbearable need to have that T-Bird, over any other.

Find someone with some skills, and a falling-down barn, or an covered bridge, or a old brick wall, and make her look irresistible...

Then you'll be able to ask $60K and get $55K. :D

mrvette
01-09-2016, 4:08pm
There was a record store on the way home from screwal, and I stopped in there on way home to buy what records I could, one of the owners drove a car almost identical to that.....cool as a moose when I was age 12.....just about 60 years ago......

NICE CAR MAN, VERY NICE!!! lucky bastard.....

:seasix::hurray::cert:

ApexOversteer
01-09-2016, 4:09pm
Very nice Larry. I actually like the 5 and 6 better than the bigger finned 7. they're a little more subtle.

I agree, but sadly, we are in the minority. The '55 and '56 are Dangerfields compared to the '57. I tell ya, they get no respect. Reality can't justify why the '57 can ask that much more money, you don't get that much more car. But then, reality and rationality have no place in one's passion for motorcars... :D

6spdC6
01-09-2016, 4:15pm
Nice car!

I have always loved the baby birds. I will probaly never do it but a dream of mine was to restamod a Baby bird ( not a pristine numbers matching one)

Of course it would super piss off the Bird people and Ford lovers in general because I would upgrade brakes, suspension, some interior work and put in a LS type modern Chevy power train complete with a decent six or 8 spd auto trans. It would make a good conversation starter at car shows!:D

ApexOversteer
01-09-2016, 4:34pm
Nice car!

I have always loved the baby birds. I will probaly never do it but a dream of mine was to restamod a Baby bird ( not a pristine numbers matching one)

Of course it would super piss off the Bird people and Ford lovers in general because I would upgrade brakes, suspension, some interior work and put in a LS type modern Chevy power train complete with a decent six or 8 spd auto trans. It would make a good conversation starter at car shows!:D

If you did a '55 or '56 the resulting car would undoubtedly be valued higher than a correct, concours-ready example...

MrPeabody
01-09-2016, 4:40pm
Great looking car, Spence. I've never seen one that color.

Since my first car was a '57 Ford, I'm partial to the '57s. I had to settle for a Fairlane Club Coupe, though, because my budget was $250. No way could I come up with the grand a Thunderbird cost back then in the late 60s.

First thing I did to that Fairlane was to get a set of Thunderbird valve covers at the junk yard and install them. I think I paid five or ten bucks for them.

mrvette
01-09-2016, 6:55pm
Great looking car, Spence. I've never seen one that color.

Since my first car was a '57 Ford, I'm partial to the '57s. I had to settle for a Fairlane Club Coupe, though, because my budget was $250. No way could I come up with the grand a Thunderbird cost back then in the late 60s.

First thing I did to that Fairlane was to get a set of Thunderbird valve covers at the junk yard and install them. I think I paid five or ten bucks for them.

Another old fart junkyard hotrodder......eh???

:hurray::shots:

The Cripp
01-09-2016, 6:57pm
A beautiful car... please don't sell it!

Bill
01-09-2016, 7:06pm
Nice car. I wonder, though, why you built the portico right next to that long, narrow lake?

MrPeabody
01-09-2016, 7:30pm
Another old fart junkyard hotrodder......eh???

:hurray::shots:

I used to buy everything at the junk yard. Even tires. There were some great junk yards near where I lived.

lspencer534
01-09-2016, 8:03pm
I used to buy everything at the junk yard. Even tires. There were some great junk yards near where I lived.

Junk yards are fine...during the Winter. No snakes.

JRD77VET
01-09-2016, 8:25pm
Very nice car Larry :cool1:

markids77
01-09-2016, 8:26pm
Before you list it, take another shot of that beautiful steering wheel and dash... but tuck the blue butt spliced wires up inside so they don't show. Kinda ruins the effect.

lspencer534
01-09-2016, 8:34pm
Before you list it, take another shot of that beautiful steering wheel and dash... but tuck the blue butt spliced wires up inside so they don't show. Kinda ruins the effect.

Will do, but I'll have to wait until sun up.

Kerrmudgeon
01-09-2016, 8:47pm
It's too bad those baby birds have been stuck around 30K since I can remember. Costs double or triple to restore one than you can sell a nice one for. :(

That's why you see them now as restomods. My buddy up here has one with all Corvette C4 running gear and LS power, and it's worth as much as a restored one or more. Cool car too. Aqua blue.

BADRACR1
01-09-2016, 11:33pm
Beautiful machine.:seasix:

Local CL here has a fiberglass roller for sale. It would make a nice restomod cruiser.

Fasglas
01-10-2016, 3:37am
Junk yards are fine...during the Winter. No snakes.

:iagree: No hornets/wasps either...

Nice car, btw.

mrvette
01-10-2016, 2:25pm
There was a Junkyard about 5 miles away, called Rockville GM all GM exclusively, my son got himself a job there tearing apart cars, engines/etc....

That is where I got that Fuel Injection setup to put on my '70 Lemans/GTO convertible....as well as many other assemblies through the years....

The fellow who managed the joint was named George, can't recall his last name though, he was a buddy of the owner....George drove a VEGA, he told me a few 'facts' about the Vega rust issues....

seems that GM was willing to fix every Vega with a rust problem, but it was common as hell for the stealerships to just patch the car over and then bill GM for the full repair done correctly....probably not possible to do that scam today, because of the ease they can trace the parts ordered.....:issues: he knew this because he was a service manager at a Chebby stealership.....

:dance:

DAB
01-10-2016, 2:58pm
if i fit into it, i'd drive the snot out of that thing. :drool:

OldSarge
01-10-2016, 4:24pm
Sweet ride, I always like the early T birds......:seasix::seasix:

99 pewtercoupe
01-10-2016, 4:59pm
If you are willing to wait until I win the Powerball on Wednesday, I will give you a very generous offer on it :dance:

Seriously, that is a gorgeous car Larry

lspencer534
01-10-2016, 5:42pm
If you are willing to wait until I win the Powerball on Wednesday, I will give you a very generous offer on it :dance:

Seriously, that is a gorgeous car Larry

With odds of only 262,000,000 to 1, I'd say it's a done deal!