PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting A4 shifts

Munch
10-08-2009, 10:50pm
So I am curious about tuning the shifts on the A4. When you use tuning software what is it that you can actually change? I know you can change the RPM for WOT shifts and you can also change the MPH at which it shifts under normal driving but what is it that you change as far as shift firmness goes? Is there a % of pressure adjustment or what?:confused5:

Please edumacate me.

Lowcash
10-09-2009, 6:52am
So I am curious about tuning the shifts on the A4. When you use tuning software what is it that you can actually change? I know you can change the RPM for WOT shifts and you can also change the MPH at which it shifts under normal driving but what is it that you change as far as shift firmness goes? Is there a % of pressure adjustment or what?:confused5:

Please edumacate me.

'Ed'ucated me a little on shift points, but I was lost among all the other info he told me that day. :crazy: I had him firm up the shift points in the coupe when I was down there for a tune. The shifting feels a lot better compared to the lazy soft stock shifting feel.

I'm sure Ed will chime in with an explanation. :cool2:

Sneaks
10-09-2009, 7:25am
I had mine changed by ECS at Carlisle a couple years ago. But I didn't ask about the finer points. Doug was so busy, I didn't want to take up anymore of his time, than I already had. :popcorns:

Vet4jdc
10-09-2009, 5:47pm
Excuse my ignorance on the subject...is this the same as adjusting the shift points on an automatic tranny? I've been told that really peps up a C5 with automatic and I'm considering it too?

Sneaks
10-09-2009, 6:07pm
Excuse my ignorance on the subject...is this the same as adjusting the shift points on an automatic tranny? I've been told that really peps up a C5 with automatic and I'm considering it too?

Yes. If you see A4, that's a C5 auto. M6&M12 are manuals, normal and Z06.

Munch
10-09-2009, 6:09pm
From what I understand you can change the shift points in regards to at what MPH it shifts during normal driving. You can change the RPM at which it shifts under full throttle and you can change the firmness of the shifts (or somehting of that nature) but I am not an expert so there could be more. I just wanna know more about the firmness of shifts and how that is actually controlled and changed.

C5 BEARSFAN
10-09-2009, 9:44pm
all i can say is after ECS sent me back my mail order tune and they adjusted the shift points the car is night and day different to drive.

Well worth the money for the tune with the firm shifts i now have

Vet4jdc
10-10-2009, 6:57am
all i can say is after ECS sent me back my mail order tune and they adjusted the shift points the car is night and day different to drive.

Well worth the money for the tune with the firm shifts i now have

That's what I want. A little more agressive shifting.

C5 BEARSFAN
10-10-2009, 8:39am
That's what I want. A little more agressive shifting.

for what its worth

I bought a second computer on the famous auction site for my 99 for 85.00. Sent it direct to ECS with my vin and all the info for mods. They did thier magic and sent it back to me. I pulled old one out and put new one in. Took awhile to reprogram the computer tot he car but was simple.

This was of doing it for me was great. Only took the car apart once and I still have original tune in the original computer. 250.00 total spent.

Sneaks
10-10-2009, 11:27pm
for what its worth

I bought a second computer on the famous auction site for my 99 for 85.00. Sent it direct to ECS with my vin and all the info for mods. They did thier magic and sent it back to me. I pulled old one out and put new one in. Took awhile to reprogram the computer tot he car but was simple.

This was of doing it for me was great. Only took the car apart once and I still have original tune in the original computer. 250.00 total spent.

Not a bad idea Dennis. :thumbs:

edcmat-l1
10-12-2009, 1:47pm
You can change part throttle shift points for all gears, as far as MPH vs TPS %. You can change WOT shift points by RPM and speed. You can change shift time in milliseconds. You can also change the line pressure. Using the shift time and line pressure, you can change the shift firmness. Also reducing the amount of timing pulled in the torque reduction tables really wakes them up.

Dougzilla
10-12-2009, 6:01pm
I really need to get my car tuned.

Vet4jdc
10-12-2009, 6:06pm
You can change part throttle shift points for all gears, as far as MPH vs TPS %. You can change WOT shift points by RPM and speed. You can change shift time in milliseconds. You can also change the line pressure. Using the shift time and line pressure, you can change the shift firmness. Also reducing the amount of timing pulled in the torque reduction tables really wakes them up.

Wow....all this sounds good. (wish I understood it?) Wakes them up is promising!

:drivingskid:

thegreenman
10-12-2009, 6:46pm
Ed tuned mine and it was a HUGE difference. :dance:

Mike Mercury
10-13-2009, 10:58pm
on a stock C5 you can disable Torque Manmagement... and do nothing else... and make a noticeable improvement on the A4.

Everything else adds icing to the cake.

C5 BEARSFAN
10-14-2009, 12:12am
on a stock C5 you can disable Torque Manmagement... and do nothing else... and make a noticeable improvement on the A4.

Everything else adds icing to the cake.

big difference

2ez 2spd
12-28-2009, 5:44pm
Is there a way to tell what has been or what kind of a tune has been put on a car? I think my car was tuned before it was mine I have found some things that have been changed the 2.73 gears was changed to 3.42 out of a Z and when it shifts its hit very firm. I haven't been in stock A4 so I don't have any thing to compare it to, thanks for any input. I don't want to change anything but I would like to know what if anything has been done.

Munch
12-28-2009, 6:17pm
You could find someone with tuning software and hook your car up to see where things are set at. Of course you would need to know what the settings are from the factory to have something to compare it to.

2ez 2spd
12-30-2009, 11:08am
You could find someone with tuning software and hook your car up to see where things are set at. Of course you would need to know what the settings are from the factory to have something to compare it to.

I going to show my lack of knowledge here but anyway, the tuning software that is used to do this I ques it could upload my info save it as a file and you could have a default file with factory settings and you could switch them back and forth if you wanted too for some reason? are any of the changes permanent? I think I seen a post somewhere that stated that something with the shift points were permanent which I didn't understand why you would not be able to default it.

Munch
12-30-2009, 3:31pm
I have heard of people making a couple of tune files and then swapping them to suit their needs. As far as changes being permanent I can't imagine why, if you can change something once there should be no reason why you can't change it again. I am about as far away from an expert on this as one can get so you might want to post this in Ed's tuning sticky in this section, he probably checks that more often.

pops98
04-12-2010, 7:28pm
Ed, at Va Speed did a dyno tune on my basic stock 98. He gained 6 horses and changed the shifting on my A-4 and it felt like a new car, much quicker.