PDA

View Full Version : Anyone painted their speaker grilles?

Munch
11-10-2009, 7:05pm
I was toying with the idea of painting my front speaker grilles and wondering if anyone else has done this. Are they easy to get off? Post up some pics if you have done this, especially if you did something other than black.

Eagleeye
11-11-2009, 7:32am
I've got a bent one and need to get to it too. Saw a thread on another Forum about a month ago on painting them...I think the panels have to be pulled first and I've never removed one on anything newer than '81...Hope someone chimes in !

Garb55
11-11-2009, 2:03pm
Some info that might be useful

Sneaks
11-11-2009, 2:27pm
Pulling the door panels is a 5 minute deal.
Remove the access cover behind the door handle. Remove the two torx screws.
Either use two flathead screw drivers(cover them with a rag) or a specific pulling tool to go around the outer edge of the panel and pull the pins free from the door itself. Remove the door handle bezel by inserting a small screw driver into the tab on the bottom. Push in at an angle and pull the bezel free.
Lift up on the panel, unplug the electrical connections and vaula! You're panel is off.
To remove the grills, you have to pry up the re-taining tabs and pull the grill off the panel.
:thumbs:

Munch
11-11-2009, 7:18pm
Damn, that's almost too easy. I might go take the doors apart just for sport now.

I'd still like to see some pics of painted grilles though. I was thinking of painting mine yellow. I see some people doing the bottoms of the door panel but I think that might be to much in my case but I still want some color maybe.

Sneaks
11-11-2009, 9:45pm
Damn, that's almost too easy. I might go take the doors apart just for sport now.

I'd still like to see some pics of painted grilles though. I was thinking of painting mine yellow. I see some people doing the bottoms of the door panel but I think that might be to much in my case but I still want some color maybe.

Take a pic of the door panel and Photochop the grills to see the different colors. I'm sure somebody on here has PS skills Munch.
:thumbs:
Or, you could quit bein a :sissy:, and paint them suckers. :D
:lol:

11-12-2009, 11:14am
Thanks for the tips. I need to paint mine as well. I did my door panels last year and didn't know the speaker grilles came out.

Z06Joe
11-12-2009, 11:44am
Y paint your screens when you can do this....

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/425/img18866026156.jpg

Garb55
11-12-2009, 12:55pm

"NICE" Is that a custom made Panel?

Sneaks
11-12-2009, 5:14pm

A one of a kind masterpiece. :thumbs:

YELLOHH
11-12-2009, 9:10pm

He should have done them in carbon, without the CORVETTE lettering, and do the top half of the door in a leather/alcantara combo with red stitching.

Z06Joe
11-13-2009, 7:45am

Very custom indeed.... Shagster's work is second to none!!!!!!!!!!!! :above:

Z06Joe
11-13-2009, 7:46am
He should have done them in carbon, without the CORVETTE lettering, and do the top half of the door in a leather/alcantara combo with red stitching.

Funny you mention that..... because that is a possible combo for another vette this coming winter...... Jus Say'n :thumbs:

FrickNFrack
11-14-2009, 11:27pm

I think it looks great the way it is. Carbon is so overplayed.

Sneaks
11-15-2009, 12:42am

Leather is overdone IMO. Anybody can go buy leather door panels. Then you get to hope they're done right, get to you in a timely manner, blah blah blah......
It takes talent, skill, and imagination to do custom one-off work.
Jus sayin......:leaving:

Garb55
11-15-2009, 9:47am
Very custom indeed.... Shagster's work is second to none!!!!!!!!!!!! :above:

:thumbs::thumbs:

YELLOHH
11-16-2009, 12:14pm
I think it looks great the way it is. Carbon is so overplayed.

I just happen to like carbon fiber. The custom work is great, no doubt, I just think it would look really good in carbon rather than glass.

Leather is overdone IMO. Anybody can go buy leather door panels. Then you get to hope they're done right, get to you in a timely manner, blah blah blah......
It takes talent, skill, and imagination to do custom one-off work.
Jus sayin......:leaving:

As for the top half of the door, I just think a combo of leather and alcantara with red stitching would complement the custom lower half.

FrickNFrack
11-16-2009, 8:19pm
I just happen to like carbon fiber. The custom work is great, no doubt, I just think it would look really good in carbon rather than glass.

As for the top half of the door, I just think a combo of leather and alcantara with red stitching would complement the custom lower half.

I'm just giving you crap! :D Carbon is nice, but just seems like everyone has it.

My car is boring in the interior, which is the way I like it.

Sneaks
11-16-2009, 9:46pm
I'm just giving you crap! :D Carbon is nice, but just seems like everyone has it.

My car is boring in the interior, which is the way I like it.

No CF on mine. But I can change that in about 45 seconds. :D

GB Vette
11-16-2009, 9:46pm
Your car is anything but boring JB :thumbs:

YELLOHH
11-16-2009, 11:08pm
I'm just giving you crap!

:cheers:

No CF on mine. But I can change that in about 45 seconds. :D

Love your roof. I have a few more parts in mind if you're bored over the winter... :D

Sneaks
11-17-2009, 9:07am
:cheers:

Love your roof. I have a few more parts in mind if you're bored over the winter... :D

After I re-do the top, I'm done for a while. Got other things to get done first.

Lowcash
11-17-2009, 12:09pm
I was toying with the idea of painting my front speaker grilles and wondering if anyone else has done this. Are they easy to get off? Post up some pics if you have done this, especially if you did something other than black.

I painted mine black, nothing special. You can pop by the barn and take a look at them. :thumbs:

Sneaks
11-17-2009, 4:22pm
Hi Sean! How ya been man? :seeya: