PDA

View Full Version : A special kind of stupid

99 pewtercoupe
11-10-2015, 9:58am
Walking on RR tracks while listening to music through headphones...

JEFFERSON COUNTY • Authorities on Monday identified a pedestrian struck and killed by a train the day before as John Bowling, 24, of Pevely.

Bowling was walking on the tracks and was hit by an empty coal train at 4:18 p.m., authorities said. The accident occurred at Market Street in Horine, which is about 2½ miles west of Herculaneum, the Dunklin Fire Protection District said.

BNSF Railway spokesman Andy Williams said that Bowling was walking north in the middle of the tracks with his back to an approaching coal train.

“The crew sounded the horn and he did not respond,” Williams said.

Keith Bowling, 57, the victim’s uncle, said his nephew had moved to Jefferson County about a month ago from Omaha, Ark., about 15 miles south of Branson, Mo. He said his nephew had been hired at McDonald’s in Horine a few weeks ago and made the two-mile walk to and from work along the railroad tracks.

John Bowling was hit while walking to a friend’s house to stay the night because it was closer to work. His relatives said he routinely wore headphones to listen to music.

“I’m sure he had his headphones on,” he said. “He had them on all the time.”

A couple of years ago a teenage boy not that far from there was killed in the same way. Walking on RR tracks with headphones on

I don't mean to sound callous but at what point did this seem like a good idea

island14
11-10-2015, 10:03am
Never go Bowling with a train...

Ol Timer
11-10-2015, 10:29am
"I hear that train a comin'..."

RedLS1GTO
11-10-2015, 10:31am
http://ncse.com/files/images/Darwin%20award--square--thumbnail3_0.preview.jpg

Jobaka
11-10-2015, 11:26am
:confused5: Even with headphones, how do you not hear a train horn? Those fking things are LOUD.

6spdC6
11-10-2015, 11:35am
:confused5: Even with headphones, how do you not hear a train horn? Those fking things are LOUD.

Well I have been 5+' away from some of these idiots wearing earphones and could hear very well what they were listening to, it was that loud. I have to think it would be much louder with the direct injection into their ears. If up to me I would list the cause of death in these cases as suicide. Darwin would also be proud, it does make his award easier to garner more eligible idiots!

Uncle Meat
11-10-2015, 11:36am
You would NOT BELIEVE how many people I see DRIVING with their iPod headsets on!!!! That crap used to be illegal.

U.M.

Aerovette
11-10-2015, 11:41am
This is the intelligence that suddenly warrants $15.00 an hour "just because".

Money comes and goes but stupid runs deep.

island14
11-10-2015, 11:41am

I want one for my motorcycle.. :D

mrvette
11-10-2015, 11:55am
I want one for my motorcycle.. :D

A buddy of mine was playing around with one that was air powered, for his truck, I was moving south and out of touch with the project/him too.....I don't think a 30 gal. tank at 125 psi is enough to blast it much, if at all, would need a inch or larger hose/pipe I suspect.....

Kids that blast their hearing THAT loud are already deaf at a stone, but I would THING he would feel the vibration in the track ties and turn around, unless the train doing 60+ mph, not much chance to react by then......I live about 2.5 miles off the Amtrack route along the St. Johns river here and they rip through Orange Park Legal City limits like krazy and I hear the horn pretty clear if outside....not so much in the house with windows down.....

:sadangel::leaving::kimblair:

Aerovette
11-10-2015, 12:12pm
Stupid people still need to eat.....

Then they should wise up and get a better job instead of being rewarded for lack of motivation.

I am currently out of work and if I have to, I'll work at McDonalds but I sure as hell have no intention of staying there.

69camfrk
11-10-2015, 12:58pm
"I hear that train a comin'..."

Evidently that dummy didn't. Yup, he was probably going to go protest for 15 bux an hour when he met his untimely demise. Sorry, but no sympathy here....

JRD77VET
11-10-2015, 10:20pm

I feel bad for the train engineer. He did everything he was supposed to and got over ruled by the Darwin card :sadangel:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Not the first time

2002 Darwin Award: What's That Sound? (http://darwinawards.com/darwin/darwin2002-24.html)

69camfrk
11-11-2015, 7:42am
I feel bad for the train engineer. He did everything he was supposed to and got over ruled by the Darwin card :sadangel:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Not the first time

2002 Darwin Award: What's That Sound? (http://darwinawards.com/darwin/darwin2002-24.html)

Train wins against everything, every time!:yesnod: