PDA

View Full Version : Sub-Forum Moderator ???

Will
02-26-2011, 11:29am
I've noticed we have a few sub-forum moderators. Like a C4 moderator for example.

How about a PRC moderator? That section is unreadable thanks to a couple of individuals who throw metaphorical feces at the PRC walls all day and thank each other for it. Any attempt at serious discussion or factual debate is quickly met with de-rails, mindless gibberish, or inane Glenn-Beck rantings.

I enjoyed the Wisconsin thread in OT and was glad to see it unlocked, it's nice to have some actual discussion of the facts, figures, etc. There were still some bad posts, but that thread is literally light-years better than any in the actual PRC section.

And while I appreciated it, I'm sure some members would rather that sort of content remain in its own sub-forum. Unfortunately that would have simply prevented the thread from developing, because basically no one wants to wade through the current dung-heap, devoid of any intellectual stimuli, that is PRC.

If that sub-forum were actually any good, I could abandon "The other forum" all together.

Honestly all it needs is a dedicated Shepherd's gentle-hand to keep things on-topic in each thread. We're all adults here and we COULD have a great, stimulating, and even heated discussion/debate section. But apparently it's not possible without a referee of some kind. Posting anything thoughtful or factual in there is an exercise in futility. You get no debate, just off-topic retorts in broken English at best.

My .02 :cheers:

Will
02-26-2011, 11:43am
Any attempt at serious discussion or factual debate is quickly met with de-rails, mindless gibberish, or inane Glenn-Beck rantings....

....Posting anything thoughtful or factual in there is an exercise in futility. You get no debate, just off-topic retorts in broken English at best.

i.e.

http://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/politics-religion-controversy/8856-no-obamacare-god-will-protect-you-2.html (http://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/politics-religion-controversy/8856-no-obamacare-god-will-protect-you-2.html)

Cybercowboy
02-26-2011, 11:55am
Essentially you'd have to ban three or four members from posting there to make it sane. Or am I missing something?

Z06PDQ
02-26-2011, 11:57am
http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o242/OregonConservative/sour.jpg

Will
02-26-2011, 12:00pm
See posts # 4-8:

http://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/politics-religion-controversy/9044-arizona-colt-revolver-official-state-gun.html

Will
02-26-2011, 12:01pm
http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o242/OregonConservative/sour.jpg

Thank you forums user "Z06PDQ" for serving as an example in this thread. Now people don't even have to click on PRC to see what the problem is.

Grow Up

Z06PDQ
02-26-2011, 12:04pm
Thank you forums user "Z06PDQ" for serving as an example in this thread. Now people don't even have to click on PRC to see what the problem is.

Grow Up

sorry you are so spoiled to having grumpy & milhill [& the rest of the meat eaters] to back you up, but you really ought to realize you're not in Kansas anymore. :seeya: there isn't a damn thing wrong with PRC over here. it's just not what you're used to.

Will
02-26-2011, 12:04pm
Essentially you'd have to ban three or four members from posting there to make it sane. Or am I missing something?

No, no, no.

I'm not calling for a Stalinesque figurehead, Gulags, and shots to the head in dark alleyways. NO bannings. Just a nice, stimulating, debate/discussion forum for all things political (or religious or controversial).

I don't want an echo-chamber. I WANT discussion and debate with people who disagree with me. DISCUSSION and DEBATE being the operative words.

Will
02-26-2011, 12:05pm
sorry you are so spoiled to having grumpy & milhill [& the rest of the meat eaters] to back you up

Both have banned me multiple times. Try again. And thanks AGAIN for proving my point. Act like an adult.

but you really ought to realize you're not in Kansas anymore. :seeya: there isn't a damn thing wrong with PRC over here

Really? Care to comment:

See posts # 4-8:

http://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/politics-religion-controversy/9044-arizona-colt-revolver-official-state-gun.html

Z06PDQ
02-26-2011, 12:12pm
Both have banned me multiple times. Try again. And thanks AGAIN for proving my point. Act like an adult.

Really? Care to comment:

dude,don't try to tell me which way the wind blows over there. you're talking to Moses about the Flood. I've seen some of your rabid rants disguised as posts. no wonder you were banned. you & Cyber really should take a good look in the mirror. the replies in that thread you mention are child's play compared to some of the barbaric shit at the other place.

Will
02-26-2011, 12:12pm
care.

To.

Comment:

see posts # 4-8:

Will
02-26-2011, 12:13pm
dude,don't try to tell me which way the wind blows over there. you're talking to Moses about the Flood. I've seen some of your rabid rants disguised as posts. no wonder you were banned. you & Cyber really should take a good look in the mirror. the replies in that thread you mention are child's play compared to some of the barbaric shit at the other place.

Yet another example. Please, continue.

Z06PDQ
02-26-2011, 12:16pm
when we have to put up a sticky reminding everyone to "cease the death threats" [like you know where] you might have something. until then, just suck it up & do your best at debate. :seeya:

thkauffman
02-26-2011, 12:22pm
I would welcome someone who could police the insanity and idiocy. Keeping people on topic would be a nice change. There are a couple who can't play nice. I'd like some debate, like in a few other places, but I don't see that here currently. I rarely go to PR&C here and that's disappointing.

Will
02-26-2011, 12:29pm
COMMENT???

see posts # 4-8:

?????

You still have not refuted my point. Defend this. You can SAY I'm wrong all you want. Great. Now, SHOW US. Please explain the value of these posts and why I am incorrect in labeling them as I have.

You do not like me. We get it. You're mad about this thread. We get it.

STOP deflecting. STOP referencing other forums. STOP changing the subject. Make a valid counter-argument.

As for "sucking it up" "and doing my best at debate" I am. All I desire is an equal and opposite response. I would LOVE for people to DEBATE me. That would make for quite an enjoyable PRC section. And I am not alone. There are more than a few people saddened by the fact that PRC is such a trash heap. People WANT debate and discussion.

All PRC needs is a dedicated moderator. You act as if I'm calling for your head. I'm not. Trust me. :cheers:

PortDawg
02-26-2011, 12:32pm
The Moderators for PR&C are : Sneaks, Culookin, Iron Chef

But we all stop through from time to time to help out.

Will
02-26-2011, 12:44pm
The Moderators for PR&C are : Sneaks, Culookin, Iron Chef

But we all stop through from time to time to help out.

OK. :cheers:

This might explain the problem then.

Culookin - looking at his post history, he hasn't posted once this year, and hasn't posted in PRC since at least 2009 (didn't feel like looking though his whole history)

Sneaks - looked at the first 6 pages of post history. Posts in all sorts of subforums, but none in PRC since at least last October/November, possibly much longer, again I didn't feel like looking though his whole history.

Honestly, I can't say I blame them. :cheers:

If even the Mods stay away it MUST be bad. :rofl:

Chris Fowler
02-26-2011, 3:09pm
eh...PR&C here is DU Jr. Not worth the effort.

PR&C at CF was reasonably balanced, but enough nuts on each end made me visit less and less over time.

I like the freedom here without the banning, rejoining battle. I just choose not to participate.

Plenty of the trouble makers at PR&C on CF were returning over and over under different user names. A few of the DU Jr. posters in PR&C here have admitted to doing exactly that over there. Not worth the fight here.

No such thing as "debate" with the DU Jr. folks...

VITE1
02-26-2011, 5:40pm
Going into PRC here to try and have a intelligent discussion difficult at best. The NA NA Po Po style of debate is childish and just plain silly.

DAB
02-26-2011, 6:37pm
Going into PRC here to try and have a intelligent discussion difficult at best. The NA NA Po Po style of debate is childish and just plain silly.

and why i don't wander into there very often.

problem is, those that like to argue such matters are convinced that they are right, and will rarely listen to a counter argument.

Iron Chef
02-26-2011, 8:10pm
Sorry...I wasn't aware that it got that bad. I'll try to stopin more often.

Fair warning: I don't have patience for BS and I will give folks time off if you can't debate like adults.

RetiredSFC 97
02-27-2011, 1:35pm
I first came in hoping to find the same type of debate I was accustomed to. What I saw was quite the opposite so I found myself joining in the same type of blabber I read.

That's really not me! I may be a wise guy at times but if the discussion is reasonable then I will be as well.

This site has promise but to make it live up to it's potential it can't be a place where all it becomes is attacks on each or a defense, or an attack, on ideology.

Just my thoughts.

Entropy
02-28-2011, 12:27am
I love a good debate where I learn something just as much as Will. Thanks for the check in IC. :cheers:

Will
03-01-2011, 1:44pm
Since "Sneaks" and "Culookin" are nowhere to be found, I'd still suggest a new moderator just for PRC. Iron Chef can't (and shouldn't have to) constantly monitor it. A few people who have replied to this thread would make good choices IMO, like Entropy or Chris Fowler (I don't mean to put you out there if you're not interested, just making a suggestion).

:cheers:

Will
03-01-2011, 2:11pm
For the love of God.... (http://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/politics-religion-controversy/9255-look-into-thoughts-charles-g-koch.html#post168993)

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u138/willbridges1982/Smilies/emot-doh.gif

Chris Fowler
03-01-2011, 8:44pm
A few people who have replied to this thread would make good choices IMO, like Entropy or Chris Fowler (I don't mean to put you out there if you're not interested, just making a suggestion).

:willy:

jaxgator
03-01-2011, 9:48pm
For the love of God.... (http://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/politics-religion-controversy/9255-look-into-thoughts-charles-g-koch.html#post168993)

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u138/willbridges1982/Smilies/emot-doh.gif

Why was that thread deleted? Just inquiring.

Munch
03-01-2011, 10:26pm
Why was that thread deleted? Just inquiring.

It wasn't but the specific post he linked to probably was, they were being naughty.

Thread in question. (http://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/politics-religion-controversy/9255-look-into-thoughts-charles-g-koch.html)

Entropy
03-02-2011, 11:06am
Since "Sneaks" and "Culookin" are nowhere to be found, I'd still suggest a new moderator just for PRC. Iron Chef can't (and shouldn't have to) constantly monitor it. A few people who have replied to this thread would make good choices IMO, like Entropy or Chris Fowler (I don't mean to put you out there if you're not interested, just making a suggestion).

I'm not against it, but I do spend a lot of time off line, especially on weekends and during the summer (I know, I know, I'm one of those worthless punks who's sucking on the tit, but I do try to make good use of the time I do get off.).

jaxgator
03-17-2011, 5:22pm
It wasn't but the specific post he linked to probably was, they were being naughty.

Thread in question. (http://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/politics-religion-controversy/9255-look-into-thoughts-charles-g-koch.html)

Will
03-22-2011, 9:11pm
Well this is an unexpected turn of events:

http://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/off-topic/10608-hosni-mubarak-muammar-gaddafi-portdawg.html

Scroll to post #36 and beyond.

The people have spoken. I think you know what you need to do IC. :cheers:

:dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:

DAB
03-23-2011, 10:41pm
Well this is an unexpected turn of events:

http://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/off-topic/10608-hosni-mubarak-muammar-gaddafi-portdawg.html

Scroll to post #36 and beyond.

The people have spoken. I think you know what you need to do IC. :cheers:

:dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:

Send you to Japan?? Don't be coy. Spit it out. :rofl:

Will
03-24-2011, 10:27am
All kidding aside, if not ME can we please get SOMEONE to clean up this festering shit-hole and make it a worthwhile place for discussion.

http://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/politics-religion-controversy/10834-youre-gonna-want-sitting-down-even-you-loyal-obama-supporters.html

:rolleyes:

high desert
03-24-2011, 11:56am
All kidding aside, if not ME can we please get SOMEONE to clean up this festering shit-hole and make it a worthwhile place for discussion.

http://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/politics-religion-controversy/10834-youre-gonna-want-sitting-down-even-you-loyal-obama-supporters.html

:rolleyes:

:iagree:

OFF TOPIC (90 viewing)

POLITICS, RELIGION AND CONTROVERSY (3 viewing)

There is a reason for the lack of PR&C participation and it's not lack of interest.

Will
03-24-2011, 1:44pm

OFF TOPIC (90 viewing)

POLITICS, RELIGION AND CONTROVERSY (3 viewing)

There is a reason for the lack of PR&C participation and it's not lack of interest.

Will
03-24-2011, 6:52pm
okay, i'm getting a chance to really think about the video, and what i'm seeing is the idea that somehow, through taxing and spending and government jobs, we're creating wealth (according to the individuals in that video). I don't see government spending as a way to create wealth, rather it's a way to transfer it, since it offers services rather than innovates new technologies and develops new markets. The only real areas where it *might* accomplish that is through the funding in nsf and nih, and even then, the investment is rather small comparatively.

The idea of forcing big business to spend the money or encouraging them to is ludicrous. If there is anything that has been shown forth by government, their ability to control how businesses operate successfully is an absolute and abject failure. Governments are subject to the rule of the market, so when they try to mess with it, it doesn't work. This is the source of crony capitalism, which means that businesses will get in bed with politicians for the short term, because it will make them money, but then they will get out as soon as it stops serving their immediate needs.

The whole idea of comparing tax breaks for big business to 1984 has to be the craziest damn thing i've ever heard. 1984 = big oppressive government, where the idea that cantor had at the beginning of the video is to decrease the size of government. Now if they will actually do that is yet to be seen, but the initial idea that chris and robert had was just nuts.

The idea that somehow letting this government funding continue and will stimulate the economy is a shell game. Yeah, it might work for a little while, but it won't last. It's smoke and mirrors and will only serve for a short time and will not sustain continued growth. Why? Because in it's very essence it is wealth transfer, and not creation. It will just be another bubble. Such short sighted thinking is stupid. Period.

Discussing basic mathematics of economics and comparing it to a religion is a disservice to any points matthews is trying to make. It weakens it as a red herring. People are underwater in their houses = so what in my book. It's only money lost if you actually sell your house, or if you try to borrow against it for some reason. Sometimes investments go badly, and if you can't deal with that, than capitalism is clearly not your game.

that's it ?

This is your response to the gop/tea party *grand* job creation and taking america back through war on women by eliminating the irs who they also want to police women so to arrest women who want the right to choice ?

:confused:

What are you talking about?

I was just responding to the video you posted.

here's what you said ...

This is exactly the point ... When you voted the gop/tea party in on jobs creation ... (or the dems lack of due to gop filibustering on every stimulus issue for the last 2 years ...) .. You got baffled with bs because now the gop/tea party says you voted them in on *conservative core values* ...

Eliminating abortion rights and make the irs police women while eliminating the irs is *conservative (taliban) religion* as the main economic theme thus far ...

Time to stop playing dumb on vbpr&c ...

:seeya:

gmafb.

Curvette
03-24-2011, 7:10pm
:waiting:

PortDawg
03-24-2011, 7:27pm
I spend time in there....when I can.....I'll drop in today !

Entropy
03-24-2011, 7:32pm
gmafb.
If I'm going to keep it up Will, I'm going to need a lot more beer. :beer: Or whiskey. Yeah. :shots:

Will
03-25-2011, 8:08am
I spend time in there....when I can.....I'll drop in today !

Port Dawg, do not burden yourself so my friend.

The people have spoken: http://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/off-topic/10608-hosni-mubarak-muammar-gaddafi-portdawg.html

See post #36 and beyond.

DO IT !!! :cheers:

I will serve the interests of my people with humility and grace. :)

thkauffman
03-25-2011, 12:07pm
Hey PD and IC and any others who might be looking:

I really appreciate this place. It's like few others. For the most part, people conduct themselves like adults. Even in BtB, people know the rules and stick by them. Very few things have I seen that have gone way past the line.

If there is one place on this forum where the above is not true, it's in PR&C. There are a bunch of intellectual children in there having the run of the place. I was a very active member at that other place precisely because there was debate and was well moderated. I find myself visiting that section here once a week because of the incessant spouting of BUSH/CHENEY/HALLIBURTON/PALIN/BECKERHEAD and other such nonsense.

I can handle my political positions quite well because I'm informed and I trust in my ability to reason. I appreciate a good debate and being questioned on my beliefs. What we get here are a bunch of incoherent responses that are the equivalent of, "nanny nanny boo boo you're a poopy face" but not quite so civil or intelligent.

As much as Will can be a PITA :D - okay, I do like his humor - we need someone like him in there to police the lack of intellect that has taken over. We understand the current moderators are all very busy and we appreciate all their hard work with a mostly civil but sometimes unruly bunch. Lightening that load a bit by assigning someone like Will as PR&C moderator would go a long way toward improving the overall forum. We'd love to attract more people, I'm sure, and a more diligent effort in PR&C would be a good start.

Thanks for reading.

Tim

Will
03-25-2011, 2:17pm
In PR&C... what we get here are a bunch of incoherent responses that are the equivalent of, "nanny nanny boo boo you're a poopy face" but not quite so civil or intelligent.

We understand the current moderators are all very busy and we appreciate all their hard work.

Lightening that load a bit by assigning someone... as PR&C moderator would go a long way toward improving the overall forum. We'd love to attract more people, I'm sure, and a more diligent effort in PR&C would be a good start.

1983CFI
04-01-2011, 5:51pm

no no stop the bans

Y2Kvert4me
04-01-2011, 6:05pm
no no stop the bansWhat bans? :skep: