PDA

View Full Version : Need a geek or admins help

6spdC6
08-03-2015, 1:17pm
Got a computer type question that involves the barn. My kids gave me a new computer (I got rid of the hand cranked one):D One thing I had before does not work now.

That little clock in the upper right hand section by your screen name is now just a black square.

In other places in the forum I get a much bigger black square that says some sort of a plug in is need to view whast in the box.

Can any of you geeks tell me what that LITTLE black box with the clock is called and more importantly tell me what kind of a plug in do I need to make it work.

Disclaimer my computer skills are so bad legally I should not be allowed to own or run a computer SO PLEASE USE EASY TO UNDERSTAND TERMS!

Thanks- Dave:cert:

Y2Kvert4me
08-03-2015, 5:10pm
The analog clock is a flash object, which is something browsers are rapidly dropping support for and disabling because flash is known to present security vulnerabilities. Without knowing what browser you are using (probably Chrome?), I can't offer detailed instructions, but you'll need to have the Adobe Flash plugin installed and activated for it to function.

I know there are other means of coding an analog clock display like this, and this is probably a good time for me to explore those options and replace it with something more universally supported. Flash is dying, so eliminating the use of it here is the best thing for me to do. I believe the clock and gameroom are the only flash components used on this site.

:cert:

6spdC6
08-03-2015, 6:17pm
The analog clock is a flash object, which is something browsers are rapidly dropping support for and disabling because flash is known to present security vulnerabilities. Without knowing what browser you are using (probably Chrome?), I can't offer detailed instructions, but you'll need to have the Adobe Flash plugin installed and activated for it to function.

I know there are other means of coding an analog clock display like this, and this is probably a good time for me to explore those options and replace it with something more universally supported. Flash is dying, so eliminating the use of it here is the best thing for me to do. I believe the clock and gameroom are the only flash components used on this site.

Thank you!

it’s really not that important as everting else I want to do works with this new computer. Especial as you say support for that "Flash" is dying. It was nice to me to being able to understand what it WAS! Just for your information I’m now using Mozilla Firefox, my DIL told me to get away from IE.

Y2Kvert4me
08-03-2015, 6:25pm
Thank you!

it’s really not that important as everting else I want to do works with this new computer. Especial as you say support for that "Flash" is dying. It was nice to me to being able to understand what it WAS! Just for your information I’m now using Mozilla Firefox, my DIL told me to get away from IE.I think I've found a workable alternative for a clock that will appear very similar to the one that's there now, but doesn't utilize flash.

I will experiment with it later tonight, and if/when I get it to work and appear correctly, will replace it, and you should then see it without any changes on your end.