PDA

View Full Version : CORVETTE - Best / Worst of all time?

Fasglas
06-19-2015, 10:56am
According to Edmunds.

Agree? Disagree? DRGAF?

BEST:

10 Best Corvettes of All Time (http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/features/10-best-corvettes-of-all-time.html)

10. 1970 Corvette LT-1
9. 1953 Corvette
8. 1957 Corvette Fuel Injection
7. 1984 Corvette C4
6. 1967 Corvette 427 L88
5. 1997 Corvette C5
4. 1955 Corvette
3. 2009 Corvette ZR1
2. 1990 Corvette ZR-1
1. 1963 Corvette Fuel-Injected Coupe

WORST:

Top 10 Worst Corvettes of All Time (http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/features/top-10-worst-corvettes-of-all-time.html)

10. 1987 Callaway Twin Turbo Corvette
9. 1995 Corvette Pace Car
8. 1958 Corvette
7. 1988 Corvette Commemorative Edition
6. 1982 Corvette Collector Edition
5. 1979 Corvette L48
4. 1998 Corvette Pace Car
3. 1980 Corvette 305
2. 1953 Corvette
1. 1975 Corvette Base

C5SilverBullet
06-19-2015, 10:58am
How is the 1953 the 9th best, and 2nd worst?

syf350
06-19-2015, 11:01am

because math

my landlord just picked up a 2013 calloway grand sport convertible with 179 miles on it. very nice car:cheers:

Fasglas
06-19-2015, 11:43am
FWIW, If I had to choose just ONE Corvette, no problem.

http://www.remarkablecars.com/main/chevrolet/chevrolet-00377-1.jpg

Yep, 1958 Bone stock, with washboard hood & trunk spears.

Interestingly, '58 was the 1st year Corvette turned a profit. (9168 built)

mrvette
06-19-2015, 11:49am
My first car was a '60 vette, red/black/black coves.....in '66, paid 500 cash, Dad cosigned another 500 at the bank......

I got college and .mil outta the way, started my first full time 40+/wk job.....

:seasix: too bad I screwed it up and wrecked the car....my stupidity for taking the sand outta the trunk, added weight so the car handled MUCH better.....:sadangel:

Mike Mercury
06-19-2015, 12:29pm
worse:

6. 1982 Corvette Collector Edition

huh ?

Dave
06-19-2015, 12:56pm

Because there have only been less than 20 different kinds built. Duh.

Norm
06-19-2015, 12:59pm
1984 7th best............I'm sorry...............:rofl:

Mike Mercury
06-19-2015, 1:17pm
"In a half-hearted attempt to maintain interest in the Corvette while the new C4 was being prepared, Chevy added "Cross-Fire" throttle body fuel injection to the 5.7-liter small-block V8 to bring total output up to an underwhelming 200 hp...and then eliminated the manual transmission option."

You must of got that from CNN... :)
They left a lot out.

1982 ce added:
* first ever overdrive transmission for Corvette
* the C4's engine... a year in advance ; and was called the "torque monster" back then -serious-
(imagine getting the LS1 engine in the last year of the C4; or the new LT1 C7 engine in the last year of the C6. This is what the Crossfire was for the 1982 CE)
* hatchback glass was not fixed; could be opened and swung upwards.
* nicest interior of all C3's

StaticCling
06-19-2015, 1:38pm
Sorry but the '80 305 should be #1 on the 'Worst' list.

What a joke that thing was.

Yes, the 75 L48 made horrible numbers, but those were easily fixed now, and back in the day. At least it's a 350. :island14:

My favorite Vettes of all time are the 62 and the 67 Big Block Coupes.

Mike Mercury
06-19-2015, 2:07pm
Sorry but the '80 305 should be #1 on the 'Worst' list.

:yesnod:

Mike Mercury
06-19-2015, 2:21pm
No, I got it from the links in the OP with
thier personal bias for every choice.

fixt.

I think we are sayin' the same thing...

:funny:

RedLS1GTO
06-19-2015, 2:38pm
Any "best" list without the C5 Z06 is absolutely straight up f'n stupid.

C5SilverBullet
06-19-2015, 2:41pm
The new Z06 is easily the best Corvette ever built.

Mike Mercury
06-19-2015, 2:50pm
Not really. I agree that a Corvette with no manual transmission option isn't a Corvette worth caring about. :cert:

I hear ya.

Ferrari and Lambo no longer offer a manual shift though. I think it's more to do with there being sooo much torque to the wheels - that some computer intervention is almost mandatory... or "in the ditch" :eek:

RedLS1GTO
06-19-2015, 3:11pm
The new Z06 is easily the best Corvette ever built.

Why do you think so?

What does it bring to the table that previous cars haven't?

It is marketed as a track car. All of the hype was about it being a showroom ready race car for the street. Coolers here, coolers, there, coolers, coolers everywhere. Adjustable aero, downforce, track data recording, blah blah blah. Instead, because they were so concerned about the magazine cover hp number they sold out, bolted a blower on top, and made a car that doesn't last more than 5 minutes on a track without overheating.

What they actually made was a $100k mid-life crisis cruiser posing as a race car.

As far as I'm concerned, the C7Z is disappointing... at best.

RedLS1GTO
06-19-2015, 3:16pm
Is that true? :confused5:

Unfortunately, yes.

I had heard people talking but was skeptical until I witnessed it first hand at VIR a couple of weeks ago.

...a 100% stock car, ON STREET TIRES couldn't go more than about 3 laps in ~80 ambient weather.

God help you if you bolted up a set of slicks and started running faster. :ack:

http://corvettec7fiasco.blogspot.com/2014/12/2015-chevrolet-corvette-c7-z06.html

Randy Pobs't Road Atlanta run continues to make waves in the automotive world but certainly not in the way +Tadge Juechter has envisioned.

If the Nurburgring embarrassment was already not bad enough for the 2015 Z06, things got considerably worse after Randy Pobst managed measly four laps at Road Atlanta before the newest Z06 did the trademark C7 move: lit up the diagnostics screen like a Christmas tree and assumed the ever popular limp mode due to engine and transmission severe overheating conditions.

The problem with overheating is not particularly new to Corvette, the last generation of ZR1 was notorious for overheating engine and transmission, proudly attesting to the unfortunate fact that supercharging and track duties rarely get along without negative effects, mainly heat soak.

However, there is a slight difference here: at least according to +Tadge Juechter , the presence of heat extractor in the hood was a measure taken to specifically address the overheating and heat soak issues. Two possibilities here: either the heat extractor system is insufficient (assuming it works at all) OR the drivetrain suffers from considerably more heat related problems then originally anticipated.

There is no doubt that Juechter and his +General Motors engineering team already miscalculated automatic transmission heat build up, hence there is that second extra stupid and inefficient cooler but... what about the rest of the drivetrain? Apparently while juggling the fuel economy and emissions aspects, things might have leaned out too much? Direct injection tends to keep engines on lean side already but how about Juechter not getting the tuning software correctly? The heat soak is already present on Z06, the fact that Pobst's car was pulling timing and throwing error codes is a very condemning evidence. Furthermore, Pobst managed to get worse lap time with each next lap, until the car refused to run altogether. Overheated engine, overheated supercharger, overheated transmission, overheated E differential. Where is this going to stop? What is this car exactly good for?

So far, the new Z06 is good for Cars and Coffee, 4th of July parade, single dragstrip run and occasional AARP trip. Not much of an actual high performance or even less so track car... LOL

RedLS1GTO
06-19-2015, 3:25pm
And from a DIFFERENT test (Motor Trend)

We agree with that call for a serious track day enthusiast. As in previous tests, the Z06 got very hot during lapping and pulled power. Per Pobst: "The power starts to fall off significantly after the first lap. It was nearly pegging the oil temp gauge after a few laps. 320 degrees. I did a cool-off lap and it came right back down." We checked the data, and lap times and peak speeds did fall off by a few tenths of a second and 1 or 2 mph on each subsequent lap, though these could also be attributed to tire wear and other factors. Although Pobst has consistently complained of reduced engine power when lapping C7 Z06s, the problem does not appear to be especially great (in terms of lap times) and only seems to affect drivers of Pobst's incredibly high skill, suggesting that most customers won't encounter it.

Corvette chief engineer Tadge Juechter recently told Corvette fans the automatic transmission runs hotter and will go into a preservation mode sooner, so he recommends the manual for serious track duty or when the ambient temperature at the track is above 86 degrees. The high ambient temperature on our test day was 70 degrees.

Read more: 2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 Track Retest (http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/1503_2015_chevrolet_corvette_z06_track_retest/#ixzz3dXdui15n)

They tried to downplay it, but let's call it what it is. The car overheated in 70 degree ambient in the test, on factory tires.

Most customers won't encounter it? THAT'S your answer? GMAFB. That's pathetic.

ApexOversteer
06-19-2015, 3:29pm
Unfortunately, yes.

I had heard people talking but was skeptical until I witnessed it first hand at VIR a couple of weeks ago.

...a 100% stock car, ON STREET TIRES couldn't go more than about 3 laps in ~80 ambient weather.

God help you if you bolted up a set of slicks and started running faster. :ack:

How would you know you're going faster when all you can do is an outlap, and then an inlap!?

I have to say, that rear spoiler is ridiculous. It's NASCAR 1985 back there, all near-vertical and wickerbilled. I love that they put a friggin' window in it...

Mike Mercury
06-19-2015, 3:29pm
Damn, that's bad. :slap: VIR is at sea level or damn near it too, isn't it?

It's almost like GM knew there would be a problem, but said "we'll fix it later - can't delay production".

I have never "tracked" my C7' never will (not my interest). I can't get the 8sp auto to hardly register any meaty temperatures when driven spirited on the street. The overheating issue only seems to happen when cars are tracked... longer durations at high engine torque than what would be seen on the street.

RedLS1GTO
06-19-2015, 3:38pm
How would you know you're going faster when all you can do is an outlap, and then an inlap!?

I have to say, that rear spoiler is ridiculous. It's NASCAR 1985 back there, all near-vertical and wickerbilled. I love that they put a friggin' window in it...

Don't hate. They added that so you would be able to see who is coming up behind you and get out of the way when you are doing your cooldown lap (after your out lap). :willy:

It may not have the single lap fast number, but as far as track cars are concerned, the Z/28 kicks the Z06's ass. I have seen a handful of them running around. Those mofos are legit. Now if they would just drop about $20k, I'd own one. I just wish that they would have applied the same mentality to the Vette. It would have been spectacular.