PDA

View Full Version : Picks for the Bud Shootout.

91corvette
02-11-2011, 6:47am
We better practice picking drivers before the season starts. I will pick first. My pick #14 Stewart.:hurray:

joesgulfstream
02-11-2011, 7:01am
the #88

RedLS1GTO
02-11-2011, 8:15am
http://a.espncdn.com/i/mag/blog/2011/110208_Speed_576x324.jpg

socalman
02-11-2011, 8:29am
http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu84/socalman/80_nascar-kyle-busch-wins.jpg

leec4ce
02-11-2011, 8:46am

Sweet 90
02-11-2011, 10:53am
the #88

:rofl::rofl:
Sorry Joe, JR. couldn't win if was the only driver on the track:rofl:
Since my picks have been taken, I'll take the #29 Car Harvick FTW:cheers:

joesgulfstream
02-11-2011, 11:00am
Sorry you are not going to get your daily thanks for picking that big spoiled baby. :sadangel: :rofl:

joesgulfstream
02-11-2011, 11:04am
Come on ***** give, ops I ment ***** cat give the kid a break it's the 10th anniversity of his Dad's death there at the 500. :sadangel:

Sweet 90
02-11-2011, 11:11am
Come on ***** give, ops I ment ***** cat give the kid a break it's the 10th anniversity of his Dad's death there at the 500. :sadangel:

Yeah it is, it's just too bad he doesn't posses a tenth of his fathers talent:cheers:
Frickin Hell, I see Bryan already took Harvick, so I'll take the #16 car
Biff FTW::hurray:

Taurus
02-11-2011, 11:17am

One thing for sure, it will be that or this;

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg117/81vette4me/buschcrash.jpg

Taurus
02-11-2011, 11:18am

I would consider the 88 in a race at Daytona that didn't mean anything.

I'll stick with Smoke.

RedLS1GTO
02-11-2011, 11:26am

If there was ever a time for a good old fashioned conspiracy ... this would be it. Imagine the boost in ratings, sales, marketing, etc if he won the 500.

Yeah it is, it's just too bad he doesn't posses a tenth of his fathers talent :cheers:
Frickin Hell, I see Bryan already took Harvick, so I'll take the #16 car

He may not have the talent of Sr. but he has always been a contender at the plate tracks. I'll be rooting for him but I don't have my hopes set too high.

Kevin Harvick on the plate tracks however is something just north of phenominal. IMO there is nobody better at Daytona and Talladega... nobody even close for that matter. He has had terrible luck and been wrecked out of most of them for the last couple of years so he hasn't had the finishes to show for it, but his ability to put the car where he wants it, to use the draft, and to get through traffic are second to none. In fact, there is only one other person I have ever seen on the same level as KH when it comes to restrictor plate racing... and his number is still on the B-pillar of KH's car.

Frizlefrak
02-11-2011, 11:38am
http://www.infineonraceway.com/images/jgordon_burnout.jpg

Sweet 90
02-11-2011, 11:46am
If there was ever a time for a good old fashioned conspiracy ... this would be it. Imagine the boost in ratings, sales, marketing, etc if he won the 500.
He may not have the talent of Sr. but he has always been a contender at the plate tracks. I'll be rooting for him but I don't have my hopes set too high.

IMO Bryan, JR. does show some occasional brilliance, but they are few and far between. Hendrick has done everything possible for this guy, I mean they have gone through almost every crew chief in Nascar. I personally think one of his biggest problems is that he can't relate properly to his CC, to get the car set up to his liking. I would really rather see Hendrick get a hold of one of the young guns like Keslowski or Logano and put them in the 88 car :cheers:

Kevin Harvick on the plate tracks however is something just north of phenominal. IMO there is nobody better at Daytona and Talladega... nobody even close for that matter. He has had terrible luck and been wrecked out of most of them for the last couple of years so he hasn't had the finishes to show for it, but his ability to put the car where he wants it, to use the draft, and to get through traffic are second to none. In fact, there is only one other person I have ever seen on the same level as KH when it comes to restrictor plate racing... and his number is still on the B-pillar of KH's car.
:iagree: The last race at Talladega, I couldn't believe how fast he was considering how tore up his car was.

Sweet 90
02-11-2011, 11:50am

Sorry Friz, I've come to a conclusion (shocking as that is) but as soon as these guys start having kids, their aggressiveness and risk taking that they need to win races diminishes. Sad to say but JJ will be in that boat this year. :yesnod:

joesgulfstream
02-11-2011, 11:55am
Talk about little babies, he is only ready to fight when he has his helmit on and all the NASCAR police there with him. Just ask Matt in the #17.:sleep:

Taurus
02-11-2011, 12:02pm

Sorry, Nascar drivers should NOT have to sit on a phone book to see out the windshield. I can still remember him crying many years ago in Richmond back in the day. I mean literally crying on the radio "It's Junk Ray, It's Junk. I can't drive it, it's just junk".

Same race, Ken Schrader got taken out by a rookie named Jeremy Mayfield (we all remember Jeremy, right) and he had the greatest radio quote of all time. His crew kept calling him "Kenny, you OK?........ Kenny, you good?' and got nothing.

Finally after a moment Kenny came on and said "Jeremy F.....g Mayfield, put him in my book". :rofl:

Frizlefrak
02-11-2011, 12:02pm
Sorry Friz, I've come to a conclusion (shocking as that is) but as soon as these guys start having kids, their aggressiveness and risk taking that they need to win races diminishes. Sad to say but JJ will be in that boat this year. :yesnod:

I hate to admit this, but you're right.

Frizlefrak
02-11-2011, 12:03pm
Talk about little babies, he is only ready to fight when he has his helmit on and all the NASCAR police there with him. Just ask Matt in the #17.:sleep:

Ask Jeff Burton.

Frizlefrak
02-11-2011, 12:08pm
Same race, Ken Schrader got taken out by a rookie named Jeremy Mayfield (we all remember Jeremy, right) and he had the greatest radio quote of all time. His crew kept calling him "Kenny, you OK?........ Kenny, you good?' and got nothing.

Finally after a moment Kenny came on and said "Jeremy F.....g Mayfield, put him in my book". :rofl:

And how many championships does Schrader have? Hell, how many wins?

Don't get me wrong, I like schrader...I was at the Pocono race in '03 where he almost went over the retaining wall in turn one on his roof, and then fell onto the track in a ball of flame.

He's a great guy.....just a tad short on talent. Even with good equipment in the CWTS, he can't seem to eek out a win. A top 10 finish in the trucks is a great day.

joesgulfstream
02-11-2011, 12:08pm
Ask Jeff Burton.
Now that's a driver with class, just like Mark Martin. :clap:

Frizlefrak
02-11-2011, 12:11pm
Now that's a driver with class, just like Mark Martin. :clap:

Agreed. But class don't pay the bills....or fill your trophy wall.

Sweet 90
02-11-2011, 12:14pm

Ask Jeff Burton.
Ah the good ol' days.
The only one currently with any balls to fight is Danica....ironic isn't it:rofl:
YouTube - Nascar Fights

The State Of Alabama vs Jeff Gordon FTW:rofl:

Frizlefrak
02-11-2011, 12:25pm
I didn't see my favorite fight on the vid :confused:

Maybe I missed it.....????

When Mr. Excitement broke Kurt Busch's nose. :rofl:

Frizlefrak
02-11-2011, 12:26pm
Ah the good ol' days.
The only one currently with any balls to fight is Danica....ironic isn't it:rofl:
YouTube - Nascar Fights (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLf-ny2I-SY)

The State Of Alabama vs Jeff Gordon FTW:rofl:

......and then he came back and won the fall race too.....:hurray:

Frizlefrak
02-11-2011, 12:27pm
OH...almost forgot....anyone remember when after Shane Hmiel flipped off Dale Jarret....Sterling Marlin made the comment "I'd show that boy what the rest of the hand is used for" :beat: :rofl:

joesgulfstream
02-11-2011, 12:28pm
Agreed. But class don't pay the bills....or fill your trophy wall.
I am sure that there walls are filled and as far as bills not a problem, How many dealerships is it that Martin owns ?:beer:

Sweet 90
02-11-2011, 12:32pm
......and then he came back and won the fall race too.....:hurray:

Really, but I remember that race, God that was funny. Last year they interviewed this up and coming young black driver, I don't remember his name, but they asked him if he were ever to win a Cup race, what would he do. He replied "Well I won't be partying in the infield at Talladega":rofl:

Frizlefrak
02-11-2011, 12:38pm
I am sure that there walls are filled and as far as bills not a problem, How many dealerships is it that Martin owns ?:beer:

Sure....but how many CUPS do they have on that wall? Granted, Martin came in 2nd 5 times, and if they gave them away for sentimentality, he'd have 5 titles.

Dale Sr. and Petty both have 7 titles....under the old points system. And under that same points system, Gordon would now have 6. I hate the Chase. It sucks. I liken it to the electoral system....the same one that gave us Obama. Granted, it's been great for J.J., for which I am grateful, but still.....most points should win the cup.

OK, rant off . :lol:

RedLS1GTO
02-11-2011, 12:40pm
When Mr. Excitement broke Kurt Busch's nose. :rofl:

I was sitting in turn 3, row 1, about 10 feet from where Kurt hit the wall on this one...

YouTube - 2002 Brickyard 400 - Kurt Busch Crash

Frizlefrak
02-11-2011, 12:41pm
Really, but I remember that race, God that was funny.

Still, nothing was funnier than Gordon rubbing it in their faces for a second time. Priceless. Bunch of cuzin-phuckin' hillbillies. :leaving:

I've always admired Gordon. I like anything that upsets the status quo.

91corvette
02-11-2011, 12:43pm
All good picks but Tony will be :dance: in victory lane.:hurray:

joesgulfstream
02-11-2011, 12:48pm
Sure....but how many CUPS do they have on that wall? Granted, Martin came in 2nd 5 times, and if they gave them away for sentimentality, he'd have 5 titles.

Dale Sr. and Petty both have 7 titles....under the old points system. And under that same points system, Gordon would now have 6. I hate the Chase. It sucks. I liken it to the electoral system....the same one that gave us Obama. Granted, it's been great for J.J., for which I am grateful, but still.....most points should win the cup.

OK, rant off . :lol:
Don't get me started on " JJ " ( Good Times ) IMO and only IMO that team are the best cheats in all of NASCAR because I don't really think today the driver has as much to do with winning as in the old days, how they get away with it I don't know. If not then why are the other Hen. drivers cars so different ? He pulls away from them all the time.:confused5:

Sweet 90
02-11-2011, 1:11pm
Don't get me started on " JJ " ( Good Times ) IMO and only IMO that team are the best cheats in all of NASCAR because I don't really think today the driver has as much to do with winning as in the old days, how they get away with it I don't know. If not then why are the other Hen. drivers cars so different ? He pulls away from them all the time.:confused5:

Chad Knaus

Frizlefrak
02-11-2011, 1:30pm
Chad Knaus

Word.

RedLS1GTO
Chad Knaus

/argument

Chad Knaus is hands down, no question, end of discussion the most brilliant crew chief in the history of NASCAR. The only possible competition would be from Ray Evernham had he stayed in that role.

JJ is good enough not to screw it up and has a good enough understanding to tell Chad what he needs (the second part is where Dale Jr is lightyears behind the curve).

Frizlefrak
All good picks but Tony will be :dance: in victory lane.:hurray:

That is a distinct possib....I mean, probability.

socalman
02-11-2011, 4:54pm
/argument

Chad Knaus is hands down, no question, end of discussion the most brilliant crew chief in the history of NASCAR. The only possible competition would be from Ray Evernham had he stayed in that role.

JJ is good enough not to screw it up and has a good enough understanding to tell Chad what he needs (the second part is where Dale Jr is lightyears behind the curve).

Although I'm new to watching Nascar (08'), last year something went wrong with the 48 and they had to keep pitting to fix it, down 3 laps and finished the race 10th-

that showed me why, between JJ and CK, they've won 5 yrs in a row.

socalman
02-11-2011, 4:55pm
One thing for sure, it will be that or this;

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg117/81vette4me/buschcrash.jpg

It's definatly fun being a KB fan :dance:

Sweet 90
02-11-2011, 5:01pm
Although I'm new to watching Nascar (08'), last year something went wrong with the 48 and they had to keep pitting to fix it, down 3 laps and finished the race 10th-

that showed me why, between JJ and CK, they've won 5 yrs in a row.

Not a bad observation for a NASCAR nOOb.:rofl::leaving:

Frizlefrak
02-11-2011, 5:06pm

:iagree: Jimmie and Chad overcome adversity better than ANY team I've ever seen.

socalman
02-11-2011, 5:10pm

:rofl::cheers:

PLRX
02-11-2011, 5:15pm
heck, I dont reach the nascar nOOb title. I know nothing about nascar. I never got into it.

I only know they do circles for a day and a pace car comes out with flashy lights. I also know that based on the CFOT, Dale Ernhart Jr is gay.

Sweet 90
02-11-2011, 5:16pm
:iagree: Jimmie and Chad overcome adversity better than ANY team I've ever seen.

I wonder if Chad took Gordon's pit crew for this year? He may have put a help wanted sign out:D

socalman
02-11-2011, 5:25pm
heck, I dont reach the nascar nOOb title. I know nothing about nascar. I never got into it.

I only know they do circles for a day and a pace car comes out with flashy lights. I also know that based on the CFOT, Dale Ernhart Jr is gay.

Ovals, seldom circles.

This is your year Pete. Keep the remote in hand and when it says to 'Pump up the Voume'- do it. You'll be hooked. Great with surround sound.

Sweet 90
02-11-2011, 5:34pm
Ovals, seldom circles.

This is your year Pete. Keep the remote in hand and when it says to 'Pump up the Voume'- do it. You'll be hooked. Great with surround sound.

:iagree:Boggity,boogity,boogity Let's go racing boys.

RedLS1GTO
02-11-2011, 6:54pm

Sweetsie NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I want to punch my TV every time I hear him say that.

Any more of that and this thread is getting locked down like a mofo. :balls:

:ban::ban::ban::ban::ban::ban::ban::ban::ban::ban::ban::ban:

Frizlefrak
02-11-2011, 6:57pm
{D.W. when they were at the old Bristol}

"Well, you know, it's a self-cleaning track"

:lol:

Taurus
02-11-2011, 11:45pm

OK, now I have to tell a DW story. I was running a CARQUEST Distribution Center in Nashville and living in Franklin TN in 99 and 00. I had the opportunity to meet DW on a few occasions as he lived nearby and had a couple dealerships we serviced. On my last night in Nashville before transferring to KC. We stopped in at the Cracker Barrel in Franklin and there was DW standing in line. He noticed me and came over and we spoke for a few moments, it was great. He eventually got seated and after a few more mins we got taken back and our table was near the table DW, Stevie and the girls were sitting and he had our table pulled over to his and we spent that last evening in TN dining at a Cracker Barrel with DW and the family, it was great.

I asked him who he thought the greatest driver of all time was, he threw out many names but he said the only time he got scared on the track is when he saw a certain black chevy in his mirror, it almost never ended well:D Said it got to the point where most guys just let that 3 car by rather than racing with him, now that's intimidation.

Frizlefrak
02-11-2011, 11:49pm
Said it got to the point where most guys just let that 3 car by rather than racing with him, now that's intimidation.

Yup. Dale Sr. had that certain presence about him.....the other drivers always knew he meant business. Has it really been 10 years?

Taurus
02-11-2011, 11:54pm
Yup. Dale Sr. had that certain presence about him.....the other drivers always knew he meant business. Has it really been 10 years?

Yup, 10 years. I have met many drivers but only saw the real deal 1 time at his dealership outside of Charlotte in Mooresville. Said hello and shook hands, that was it. Wish I had the nerve to strike up a conversation but it was one of the VERY few times I was speechless.

wwomanC6
02-12-2011, 12:03am
#11 Denny Hamlin

PLRX
02-12-2011, 12:07am
Looks like I'm way behind. Time to start learning at least the basics of NASCAR.

joesgulfstream
02-12-2011, 9:08am
Looks like I'm way behind. Time to start learning at least the basics of NASCAR.I would not bother because it is going down hill, its not what it was a few years ago. Yes mabe the economy has something to do with it but to me the real reasons are the the way they bring up the young drivers too fast, ( a lot of snanot nose babies ) and they got way out of control with the money the drivers make which in turn has made the ticket prices crazy, just look at all the empty stands. It is going to end up like open wheel. :sadangel: :sleep:

socalman
02-12-2011, 9:50am
I would not bother because it is going down hill, its not what it was a few years ago. Yes mabe the economy has something to do with it but to me the real reasons are the the way they bring up the young drivers too fast, ( a lot of snanot nose babies ) and they got way out of control with the money the drivers make which in turn has made the ticket prices crazy, just look at all the empty stands. It is going to end up like open wheel. :sadangel: :sleep:

That really makes no sense (price of ticket/fans not buying). NFL stadiums play 8 games at home plus preseason, NBA-41, NLB-81 and yet Nascar is in your town maybe twice (some once) per season.

What is the ticket price comparison from 5 years ago?

joesgulfstream
02-12-2011, 10:05am
That really makes no sense (price of ticket/fans not buying). NFL stadiums play 8 games at home plus preseason, NBA-41, NLB-81 and yet Nascar is in your town maybe twice (some once) per season.

What is the ticket price comparison from 5 years ago?
you must not want your daily thanks my SoCal beach boy:slap: So tell me why Dover was allways packed and now there whole sections empty and you can't even get a seat to the Eagles, the only way is to re-mortgage your house. Dover even offere me two more tickets for free If I would renew my two to the cup race,a total of four tickets. Try to get a Phillies ticket other than one on the roof forget it. NASCAR is dying off. In 5 years it will be what it was years ago a hillbilly sport. :beer:

socalman
02-12-2011, 10:16am
Looks like I'm way behind. Time to start learning at least the basics of NASCAR.

I can tell you that it's not hard. You'll hear some 'Nascarisms' that won't take long to pick up. The car's 'lose', 'free' (which I always thought were the same), tight'. There's a speed limit in the pits, if you go over you serve a 1 lap penalty (have to pull through the pit lane again-seen race leaders get killed when this happens). A little google will tell you who's on who's team (not that it matters much).

Tracks: There are a wide variety of tracks, short-where top speeds barely reach 160, 3/4 mile and the rotors glow bright red from breaking to high speed huge tracks where they push 200, and a couple 'grand prix' tracks where they actually turn right once in a while. They visit most tracks twice a year. Depending on the size of the track will determine how often they have to pit (average seems to be 70 on short tracks, 40ish on large tracks). Each race is a different mileage (for whatever reason), 300 miles to 600 miles.
Teams own multiple cars and use a 'particular' car that is 'set up (suspension)' for a 'particular' track.

Cars: are almost identicle. Engine HP, Height off the ground (front and back) all have very small 'windows' of tolerance that a team can play with. The key to a successful race is to 'set up' the car during practices to obviously handle the best it can. Last year when the 'Chase' began (last 10 races for Championship), the driver than won the first race was disqualified from winning and sunk his chances to win the Championship because his car was out of spec by the thickness of a penny. (Nascar detail checks random cars after the race as well as the winners).

Stragedy: pushing the envelope on pit stops, taking 2 tires or 4 can change your spot in the race by up to 10 positions but you may pay for that 2 tire change as the handling starts to fade. More gas, less gas plays a part as well (near the end of the race) and actual 'do I pit or do I push the tires' in the last 10/20 laps of the race. A good 'driver' and 'crew chief' means that the driver can communicate to the chief what's wrong with the car as he's racing. A good 'crew chief' will make the small adjustments to the car on the next pit (that can adjust height on the car and tire pressure).

Season: 26 races and whoever is in the top 10 in points moves on to race for the championship the last 10 races (Known as the Chase). 2 more drivers will be awarded into the Chase if they have one or more races (top 2 outside the top 10). Threre are still 43 cars in the last 10 races, but the 31 outside the 'Chase' are still racing for $$, 'owner points', and to keep their sponsers logo on TV.

Ponts: last gets 1 point, 1st gets 43 points (+3 bonus for winning) (there's always 43 cars). You get 1 bonus point for leading any 1 lap and 1 bonus point for leading the most laps.

Sit down (or DVR) next Sundays opening race (lots of commercials-5 hours turns into 2 if you DVR) and give it a try.

You like cars, I think you'll like Nascar.

oh, and #18 Kyle Bush is the best damn driver on the entire track, when he isn't having a hissy fit because his car is shit because he was too busy racing a truck and rookie class the 2 days prior to the race instead of praticing in his 'Cup' car and likes to prove it to whoever by overdriving the car into a wall. At least 3x a season that will happen.

He will win 5 races this season.

Sweet 90
02-12-2011, 11:01am
you must not want your daily thanks my SoCal beach boy:slap: So tell me why Dover was allways packed and now there whole sections empty and you can't even get a seat to the Eagles, the only way is to re-mortgage your house. Dover even offere me two more tickets for free If I would renew my two to the cup race,a total of four tickets. Try to get a Phillies ticket other than one on the roof forget it. NASCAR is dying off. In 5 years it will be what it was years ago a hillbilly sport. :beer:

Well Dover can hold almost 140,000 and the Eagles Stadium holds around 70,000 people hence twice the size
Dover Crowd last year around 100,000 Eagles 69,000. So if the Eagles doubled the size of the stadium, they would fill another 40,000 seats??
You might as well take up Nascar Joe, seeing the NFL will probably be on strike next year anyways:D

Sweet 90
02-12-2011, 11:06am
I can tell you that it's not hard. You'll hear some 'Nascarisms' that won't take long to pick up.
Good stuff nOOb:D. You should take Pete to a race. I've attended F1, Indy, and Outlaw races, but there is no better sound than 43 big ol' straight piped American V8's at full throttle coming off of turn 4 when the green flag waves, freakin' awesome:cheers:
One thing Dan, it's the top 12 in the chase

socalman
02-12-2011, 11:24am

I didn't mean your comment made no sense, I meant from a 'sport' fan point of view. The dolts behind the microphone slipped last year stating something about the 'empty seats' at Indy last year (Nascar race) and the producer must've told him to STFU because they dropped the conversation faster than Chad changes pit crews.

Sweet 90
02-12-2011, 11:27am
told him to STFU because they dropped the conversation faster than Chad changes pit crews.
Watch it there nOOb, you're treading on Hollowed Ground, you "Wild Thang Lover" you:rofl:

socalman
02-12-2011, 11:29am
Good stuff nOOb:D. You should take Pete to a race. I've attended F1, Indy, and Outlaw races, but there is no better sound than 43 big ol' straight piped American V8's at full throttle coming off of turn 4 when the green flag waves, freakin' awesome:cheers:

I haven't figured out the 'attending' of a race yet. We went last year to a Nationwide race and hated it. Cool for about 15 minutes but the noise was unbearable. Fontana has a metal awning (the good seats) out of the sun but the richochet of sound killed us. I see people with the headsets that you can rent, I guess you can hear 'pit' babble through them? Keeping track of who was where on that track, coupled with the fact cars kept leaving the track (Nationwide guys getting their 2/3 laps only?) was confusing.

I'd like to try again and get seats out from under the canopy, try the headsets etc.

Used to go to Rams games all the time when they were here, but in reality at home behind the remote worked for me better.

socalman
02-12-2011, 11:31am
Watch it there nOOb, you're treading on Hollowed Ground, you "Wild Thang Lover" you:rofl:

My wife is 48 fan, had to stare at the dang calendar next to my desk all year last year (bet who finishes end of year better) along with hanging his flag in my garage (well, #18 is there too). Couple that with hearing her teach our phuckin Parrot 'Go Jimmy'... Let's just say I've earned my stripes.

socalman
02-12-2011, 11:33am

Not this year. Top 10, then 2 'wild cards'- top race winners outside the top 10. This will keep things like what happened in 09'- Kyle won 3 races and was out, yet there were 'Top 12' Chasers in that hadn't won a race. I like it.

NASCAR also tweaked the eligibility requirements for the 12-driver Chase for the Sprint Cup championship field.

The top 10 in points after the 26th race of the season will make the Chase field, while the final two spots will be “wild cards” designated for the highest race winners not already eligible. The wild cards will only go to drivers ranked inside the top-20 in points.

If no driver outside the top 10 has any victories, the spots will go to the drivers ranked 11th and 12th in the standings.

Frizlefrak
02-12-2011, 11:35am
Well Dover can hold almost 140,000 and the Eagles Stadium holds around 70,000 people hence twice the size
Dover Crowd last year around 100,000 Eagles 69,000. So if the Eagles doubled the size of the stadium, they would fill another 40,000 seats??
You might as well take up Nascar Joe, seeing the NFL will probably be on strike next year anyways:D

Would stop using logic Kittah? You're destroying a perfectly good false assumption!!

:iagree: GO SEE A RACE! You'll be hooked. And you have a track right in your neighborhood too! One piece of advice...rent the scanner (or buy one) so you can listen in to MRN or your favorite drivers.

If you watch every sprint cup race for a season, you'll have 80% of it down, and you'll be hooked. Next thing you know, football season has started and you're making excuses for not watching the games because you watched racing instead.

And when you've been a fan for a few years, you'll know not only the drivers and crew chief personalities, you'll know the rivalries and how they got started, the team owners and their quirks, the pit crew members, and so on.

I've been a fan since I was a kid, but it wasn't usually televised. I stopped following it for a long time, then got back into it heaving around 1995, just in time to see a young Jeff Gordon mop up the entire field weekend after weekend.....just like what Jimmie Johnson is doing now. Been a Hendrick fan ever since.

I haven't figured out the 'attending' of a race yet. We went last year to a Nationwide race and hated it. Cool for about 15 minutes but the noise was unbearable. .

As I mentioned above, pick up a scanner and some noise cancelling headphones. Adds a lot of fun to the race, and you can still hear at the end of it. :D Radio Shack has them.

socalman
02-12-2011, 11:38am
Would stop using logic Kittah? You're destroying a perfectly good false assumption!!

:iagree: GO SEE A RACE! You'll be hooked. And you have a track right in your neighborhood too! One piece of advice...rent the scanner (or buy one) so you can listen in to MRN or your favorite drivers.

If you watch every sprint cup race for a season, you'll have 80% of it down, and you'll be hooked. Next thing you know, football season has started and you're making excuses for not watching the games because you watched racing instead.

And when you've been a fan for a few years, you'll know not only the drivers and crew chief personalities, you'll know the rivalries and how they got started, the team owners and their quirks, the pit crew members, and so on.

I've been a fan since I was a kid, but it wasn't usually televised. I stopped following it for a long time, then got back into it heaving around 1995, just in time to see a young Jeff Gordon mop up the entire field weekend after weekend.....just like what Jimmie Johnson is doing now. Been a Hendrick fan ever since.

What's MRN?

Frizlefrak
02-12-2011, 11:40am
What's MRN?

Motor Racing Network.

Oh...you can rent the scanners and headphones at the track, but it's pricey. You can buy the setup for the cost of renting it 3 times.

Sweet 90
02-12-2011, 11:41am
Couple that with hearing her teach our phuckin Parrot 'Go Jimmy'... Let's just say I've earned my stripes.

That's hilarious:rofl::rofl:
Her and I would get along great:rofl:

Taurus
02-12-2011, 11:44am
Jr. on the pole for another meaningless race at Daytona, who didn't see that coming. Wish he could do it when the pressure is on..............

Frizlefrak
02-12-2011, 11:46am
Years back, we were camping and saw a black bear saundering through the woods. I told the wife "what I wouldn't give for a tranquilizer gun". She asked why...it isn't bothering us. I said "So I can go shave a 24 on one side of it and a 48 on the other."

When you're a real NASCAR fan, you'll know it. :D

Sweet 90
02-12-2011, 11:49am

Yeah, really. I get so tired of the NASCAR bashing. Anyone who can strap themselves into a seat, running at over 200mph touching bumpers isn't no "Baby" in my book:yesnod:
Hell if these naysayers hate NASCAR so bad, your friends to the north would love to have it, now only if we can figure out how to cram all those races into 3 months:rofl:

Frizlefrak
02-12-2011, 12:05pm
Yeah, really. I get so tired of the NASCAR bashing. Anyone who can strap themselves into a seat, running at over 200mph touching bumpers isn't no "Baby" in my book:yesnod:
Hell if these naysayers hate NASCAR so bad, your friends to the north would love to have it, now only if we can figure out how to cram all those races into 3 months:rofl:

Better yet....the one I love "NASCAR drivers aren't athletes"

To which I always respond "Bullshit. Strap your soft round ass into that seat (if you can fit through the window) , subject yourself to 125 + degree cabin temps and extreme G forces at 190 mph for 4 + hours while having another driver who's enduring the same stress 2" from your door, and see how you feel when you're done (if you survive it)"

The drivers are all in very good physical condition (Though Smoke does need to lay off the burgers again, or the fence is gonna collapse next time he climbs it).

Joe Schmoe off the street could never endure what they go through weekend after weekend.

They are athletes, in the truest sense. If a football player makes a serious error, the other team recovers the ball and scores. If a NASCAR driver makes a serious error, people can (and sometimes do) die.

RIP Dale Earnhardt Sr. "Up front there oughtta be a man in black".

Sweet 90
02-12-2011, 12:10pm
Amen to that Friz. Christ half of these armchair drivers couldn't endure not being able to take a piss for four hours:rofl:

Frizlefrak
02-12-2011, 12:19pm
Yep...two drivers come to mind immediately.....Mark Martin and Carl Edwards. Both are in phenominal condition, especially Mark considering his age. They have workout routines that most of us wouldn't make it through the first 5 minutes of.

socalman
02-12-2011, 4:02pm
Amen to that Friz. Christ half of these armchair drivers couldn't endure not being able to take a piss for four hours:rofl:

Tony has taken a dookie in his pants/car before. There's no timeout in Nascar.

socalman
02-12-2011, 4:09pm
That's hilarious:rofl::rofl:
Her and I would get along great:rofl:

Years back, we were camping and saw a black bear saundering through the woods. I told the wife "what I wouldn't give for a tranquilizer gun". She asked why...it isn't bothering us. I said "So I can go shave a 24 on one side of it and a 48 on the other."

That gives me an idea.......... #18 on both sides of his helmet head

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu84/socalman/IMG00233-20110212-1251.jpg

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu84/socalman/IMG00234-20110212-1252.jpg

Frizlefrak
02-12-2011, 4:40pm
So let it be done.....

RedLS1GTO
02-12-2011, 5:40pm
Better yet....the one I love "NASCAR drivers aren't athletes"

I had a coworker not long ago who was a rugby player in college and a current football coach who used to say that all the time.

He RODE (not drove) about 10 laps at VIR with me and never said it again.

When people take that opinion and start making arguments there is no point in arguing. It is one of those things that you either understand or don't. My answer is usually something along the lines of: "You are welcome to your opinion but if you say that you have obviously never done it yourself". Usually shuts them up pretty well.

socalman
02-12-2011, 6:54pm
So let it be done.....

:rofl: The wifey is gonna love it

Sweet 90
02-12-2011, 7:12pm
Well the Bud Shootout is about to start:hurray:
Damn running 203 mph yesterday around 9,600 RPM. Gonna see some
engine destruction in the race I think. Woo hoo

Frizlefrak
02-12-2011, 7:19pm
Well the Bud Shootout is about to start:hurray:
Damn running 203 mph yesterday around 9,600 RPM. Gonna see some
engine destruction in the race I think. Woo hoo

Junebug and Smoke upfront.....WOOOHOOOO!! :hurray:

Taurus
02-12-2011, 7:36pm
Junebug and Smoke upfront.....WOOOHOOOO!! :hurray:

Yea, Smoke and Mirrors :D

Frizlefrak
02-12-2011, 7:42pm
Yea, Smoke and Mirrors :D

:rofl: :rofl:

91corvette
02-12-2011, 7:51pm
:iagree:Junebug and Smoke upfront.....WOOOHOOOO!! :hurray:

joesgulfstream
02-12-2011, 7:53pm
the #88
I guess I am off to a good start.:beer:

91corvette
02-12-2011, 7:58pm
I guess I am off to a good start.:beer:

Yes JR can follow Smoke into turn one and finish 2nd.:)

joesgulfstream
02-12-2011, 8:05pm
Did you see my other post I am a NASCAR fan been going to Dover every year for about 15 now. In 2001 fill house and like you state a 40,000 drop that pretty much speaks for it self And I assure you if the Link held 140,000 you would have more than 100,000. Another thing they got to get rid of those @ss kissing anouncers on Fox they do nothing but kiss each others butt . That Joy gets me sick.:beer:

Sweet 90
02-12-2011, 8:15pm
Yes JR can follow Smoke into turn one and finish 2nd.:)
:rofl:
Well maybe JR should hope every race pole is picked by picking a coke bottle:D

Did you see my other post I am a NASCAR fan been going to Dover every year for about 15 now. In 2001 fill house and like you state a 40,000 drop that pretty much speaks for it self And I assure you if the Link held 140,000 you would have more than 100,000. Another thing they got to get rid of those @ss kissing anouncers on Fox they do nothing but kiss each others butt . That Joy gets me sick.:beer:
Just for you Joe
Boogity, boogity, boogity Let's go racing boys:rofl:
I am now banned, but I just want Bryan to smack his TV again:rofl:

joesgulfstream
02-12-2011, 8:22pm
Well maybe JR should hope every race pole is picked by picking a coke bottle:D

Just for you Joe

Thanks now I got here that twice tonight. That hick MacRenelyds what a hillbilly " side by side, tighten the belts one more time " STFU.:beer:

navyndi2
02-12-2011, 8:26pm
We better practice picking drivers before the season starts. I will pick first. My pick #14 Stewart.:hurray:

Ditto :cheers:

RedLS1GTO
02-12-2011, 8:38pm

:ban::ban::ban::ban:

Lucky for you Sweetsie the 2x2 paired up car thing is more annoying than DW's boogity boogity boogity.

How about Harvick from 18th to second in 7 laps?

joesgulfstream
02-12-2011, 8:39pm
Mr Chevy getting pusher by a Ricer :rofl:

Taurus
02-12-2011, 8:49pm
Not a real fan of this paired up racing.:sleep:

Did you all see Kyle bail out on JR coming to the flag at the end of the first segment... lame.

Frizlefrak
02-12-2011, 8:51pm

Did you all see Kyle bail out on JR coming to the flag at the end of the first segment... lame.

Surprised?

Did they ever say what happened to Kahne? Engine expire?

joesgulfstream
02-12-2011, 8:52pm
Thats what I was talking about they bring up these babies like Bush to fast watch your guitar Jon he might Smash it for you

joesgulfstream
02-12-2011, 8:53pm
Surprised?

Did they ever say what happened to Kahne? Engine expire?Ya I think so :sadangel:

Sweet 90
02-12-2011, 8:55pm
:ban::ban::ban::ban:

Lucky for you Sweetsie the 2x2 paired up car thing is more annoying than DW's boogity boogity boogity.

How about Harvick from 18th to second in 7 laps?

It's OK Bryan, you only have half a season of it left. If you like, I'll remind
you each week. :D

JJ - 23 to 5 th. :hurray:They're changing positions every corner.

Taurus
Thats what I was talking about they bring up these babies like Bush to fast watch your guitar Jon he might Smash it for you

Looks like you can hose the guy in front if you have a mind to.

joesgulfstream

It won't be that way as much at the 500 with 43 cars out there

RedLS1GTO
02-12-2011, 8:56pm

Bringing up KB too fast? :skep:

I mean all he has done is rack up 86 wins in the top 3 series. He would have the same attitude whether he was 20 or 40 when he started driving cup.

Taurus
02-12-2011, 8:56pm
It won't be that way as much at the 500 with 43 cars out there

I think there will, too much to keep under control especially at 206 MPH!

Sweet 90
02-12-2011, 8:57pm
Surprised?

Did they ever say what happened to Kahne? Engine expire?

I don't think any official word yet

Taurus
02-12-2011, 8:58pm
I don't think any official word yet

It's toast..............

Sweet 90
02-12-2011, 9:00pm
It's toast..............

Yeah, that's what Kahne said. Do we know what happened to it

Taurus
02-12-2011, 9:02pm
Yeah, that's what Kahne said. Do we know what happened to it

Can't you speak redneck? It done broke.......................

RedLS1GTO
02-12-2011, 9:02pm
Do we know what happened to it

Bad case of the Toyotas is my guess.

Taurus
02-12-2011, 9:03pm
Bad case of the Toyotas is my guess.

There you are, thought you were watching Glee :D

joesgulfstream
02-12-2011, 9:04pm
Bringing up KB too fast? :skep:

I mean all he has done is rack up 86 wins in the top 3 series. He would have the same attitude whether he was 20 or 40 when he started driving cup.
I would hope you would wrong, maybe he would of grown up a little if he had stayed in tthe truck and bush a little longer. Some of these young guns have no respect.:beer:

Sweet 90
02-12-2011, 9:08pm
I would hope you would wrong, maybe he would of grown up a little if he had stayed in tthe truck and bush a little longer. Some of these young guns have no respect.:beer:

Joe you better switch to American beer now. That Canadian beer is getting to strong for you:rofl:

Sweet 90
02-12-2011, 9:09pm

Or How I met your Mother

RedLS1GTO
02-12-2011, 9:11pm

I disagree with that 100%. I think Lagano was brought up too soon, but only from a car control/experience point of view. KB is 25 now so even if he was brought up incredibly slowly, spending a few years in the trucks and a few years in Busch...errr...Nationwide cars he would be at the cup level by now... his attitude isn't a whole hell of a lot different than it was 7 years ago unless I missed something.

Richard Petty ran his first Cup race at 22.

Dale Earnhardt Sr was 23

Davey Allison was 24

Jeff Gordon was 21

Cale Yarborough was only 17

...I could go on and on.

RedLS1GTO
02-12-2011, 9:11pm
Adios Jr. :seeya:

Sweet 90
02-12-2011, 9:13pm
Adios Jr. :seeya:

Yep. He can thank Uncle Carl

RedLS1GTO
02-12-2011, 9:15pm

Negative.

Or How I met your Mother

Yea... that one is pretty right on.

Frizlefrak
First carnage of the season boys.....

joesgulfstream
Joe you better switch to American beer now. That Canadian beer is getting to strong for you:rofl:
You just gave me an idea, how about a nice Crown Royal on the rocks.:cheers:

Taurus

That's what you'll see a lot of next week.......... closing rate is nuts.

Sweet 90
02-12-2011, 9:16pm
Rye and cokes on me boys, cheers

Taurus
02-12-2011, 9:16pm
Negative.

Yea... that one is pretty right on.

I guess I'm the only one that saw your Glee post in OT............. oops, did I say too much?

joesgulfstream
02-12-2011, 9:17pm
Just one more day of bad luck for JR. Edwards is another mind job ( anger management )

RedLS1GTO
02-12-2011, 9:18pm

He can thank this stupid paired racing crap.

Watch the replay from behind the wreck. Carl had Michael Waltrip on his bumper with about a 20 mph run and absolutely nowhere to go.

I would LOVE to blame Carl but I really don't think you can. That has to be a terrible feeling coming up on 2 wide in front of you at that closing rate with nowhere to go except to smash into them like Carl did.

Sweet 90
02-12-2011, 9:18pm
That's what you'll see a lot of next week.......... closing rate is nuts.

:iagree:
Poor JR. If it wasn't for bad luck he wouldn't have any.
Guess it wasn't Uncle Carls fault

RedLS1GTO
02-12-2011, 9:20pm
I guess I'm the only one that saw your Glee post in OT............. oops, did I say too much?

If you read the REST of the post you would have seen my post that I turned it off in a few seconds after the cheerleaders were replaced by dialogue. :ack:

But I did learn that Lea Michelle is STUUUUUUUUUPID hot. :hump:

EDIT:

http://cdn.buzznet.com/media/jj1/2009/12/lea-colors/lea-michele-true-colors-01.jpg

Sweet 90
02-12-2011, 9:23pm
If you read the REST of the post you would have seen my post that I turned it off in a few seconds after the cheerleaders were replaced by dialogue. :ack:

Ha hem!! Let's keep this on topic. Where are the mods when you need them?:D

Taurus
02-12-2011, 9:23pm

I read it, but had to poke the bear a little................

joesgulfstream
02-12-2011, 9:24pm
He can thank this stupid paired racing crap.

Watch the replay from behind the wreck. Carl had Michael Waltrip on his bumper with about a 20 mph run and absolutely nowhere to go.

I would LOVE to blame Carl but I really don't think you can. That has to be a terrible feeling coming up on 2 wide in front of you at that closing rate with nowhere to go except to smash into them like Carl did.
Maybe if KB ( your Hero ) would not have bailed out on JR right before this might not have happened. another sip of CR. Opps your hero did it again

RedLS1GTO
02-12-2011, 9:25pm
Ha hem!! Let's keep this on topic. Where are the mods when you need them?:D

Yep... this is not C4 related. Time to lock it down.

...and on a side note. :seeya: Kyle

Taurus
02-12-2011, 9:25pm
Kyle Freakin Bush:rofl:

It was just a matter of time................

RedLS1GTO
02-12-2011, 9:26pm
Maybe if KB ( your Hero ) would not have bailed out on JR right before this might not have happened. another sip of CR. Opps your hero did it again

WTF are you talking about "your hero"? :skep:

I can't stand Kyle Busch.

Sweet 90
02-12-2011, 9:26pm
MM just took out KB. :hurray:

Sweet 90
02-12-2011, 9:28pm
2 maybe 3 Toyotas out now

Taurus
02-12-2011, 9:29pm
2 maybe 3 Toyotas out. :leaving:

That's gong to happen all day next week, one after the other. Only diff is they'll get taken out 2 at a time:D

joesgulfstream
02-12-2011, 9:30pm

EDIT:

http://cdn.buzznet.com/media/jj1/2009/12/lea-colors/lea-michele-true-colors-01.jpg
Ya but is that her brother's chest.:rofl: Another sip of CR

Sweet 90
02-12-2011, 9:32pm
That's gong to happen all day next week, one after the other. Only diff is they'll get taken out 2 at a time:D

Think KB has nos on that car. Holy what a start

RedLS1GTO
02-12-2011, 9:34pm

Replay makes it a little more clear how he did that.

...and he's back to the garage. :seeya:

joesgulfstream
02-12-2011, 9:35pm

and back to 15th guess the nos ran out. Another sip

Sweet 90
02-12-2011, 9:37pm
Replay makes it a little more clear how he did that.

...and he's back to the garage. :seeya:

Yeah. Here comes the 48:hurray:

Taurus
02-12-2011, 9:40pm
I didn't know NAPA made lawn mowers...................

Sweet 90
02-12-2011, 9:42pm
I didn't know NAPA made lawn mowers...................

I wonder how that would work clearing snow:D
See ya MW

Frizlefrak
02-12-2011, 9:44pm
Yeah. Here comes the 48:hurray:

Who'd a thunk it? :hurray:

RedLS1GTO
02-12-2011, 9:46pm
9800 RPM from a solid lifter, pushrod V8.

That is f'n insane.

Frizlefrak
02-12-2011, 9:51pm
9800 RPM from a solid lifter, pushrod V8.

That is f'n insane.

At a restrictor plate track, no less. This ain't Martinsville.

Taurus
02-12-2011, 9:52pm
Did I just hear DW say that JG doesn't know what he's doing :rofl:

joesgulfstream
OK if this is the new kind of racing what is gona happen to the 43rd car in the 500, no partner he is one and done. Good night boys to many:beer:and CR.

Sweet 90
I can't imagine them holding together for 500 miles

Taurus
02-12-2011, 9:53pm
I can't imagine them holding together for 500 miles

I can't either, especially with the speed the close on each other, that is really insane.

Sweet 90

Frizzie ain't gonna like that

RedLS1GTO

Yes... yes I believe you did.

:nutkick: to DW.

Taurus
02-12-2011, 9:54pm
By the way, is any of this C4 related? I mean we are talking about speed here............

Sweet 90
02-12-2011, 9:54pm
I can't either, especially with the speed the close on each other, that is really insane.

I'm lovin' it:D

Sweet 90
02-12-2011, 9:55pm
By the way, is any of this C4 related? I mean we are talking about speed here............

Yes, I think one of the fans there drove a C4 to the race

RedLS1GTO
02-12-2011, 9:56pm
I wonder what the rev limiter is set at on these things after that last little Harvick/Gordon discussion.

We have already seen Harvick turning 9800... 10k I wonder?!

I bet he pulls that chip on the last lap. :willy:

RedLS1GTO
02-12-2011, 9:58pm
Yes, I think one of the fans there drove a C4 to the race

They drove through a puddle on the way in and killed the Opti. It is on the side of the road a couple of miles from the gate.

Sweet 90
02-12-2011, 10:02pm
Here we go

RedLS1GTO
02-12-2011, 10:03pm
With a Hamlin DQ... Kurt Busch FTW!

On second look, did Kurt actually beet Hamlin to the line regardless of a DQ?

Sweet 90
02-12-2011, 10:05pm
That was quite the finish. No win for Toyota:hurray:

Taurus
02-12-2011, 10:05pm
Sorry, that sucked.

Sweet 90
02-12-2011, 10:06pm
With a Hamlin DQ... Kurt Busch FTW!

On second look, did Kurt actually beet Hamlin to the line regardless of a DQ?

It looked to me that Hamlin crossed first

Sweet 90
02-12-2011, 10:07pm
Sorry, that sucked.

Why??

Taurus
02-12-2011, 10:08pm
Why??

Didn't care for the racing, maybe it will be better with more cars running.

RedLS1GTO
02-12-2011, 10:09pm
Sorry, that sucked.

Not at all a fan of this paired up racing crap. The best car and the best driver are about 1% of winning when it is like this.

I like to see a race that is won by the best driver, not the driver that happened to get a push at the right time.

Even in the old days of the pack drafting at least it was still individuals who could make their way to the front and not dependent on who was behind you.

Sweet 90
02-12-2011, 10:15pm
Well there's only I think about 4 races like this and I truly enjoy it. There is no other car racing that can go nose to tail at over200 mph. Just my opinion:cheers:

socalman
02-12-2011, 10:16pm
Kyle Freakin Bush:rofl:

It was just a matter of time................

:kick:

WTF are you talking about "your hero"? :skep:

I can't stand Kyle Busch.

MM just took out KB. :hurray:

I'm going to go pout now

RedLS1GTO
02-12-2011, 10:17pm
Well there's only I think about 4 races like this and I truly enjoy it. There is no other car racing that can go nose to tail at over200 mph. Just my opinion:cheers:

I like everything except the 2x2 phenomenon.

Taurus
02-12-2011, 10:19pm

That's kind of the point, how many of these guys CAN drive nose to tail at 200 MPH? We know that MW, Reagan, Edwards, Martin, KB ect.... can't. Wait till the rest of the "second level" drivers get into the mix.

Frizlefrak
02-12-2011, 10:19pm

GRRRRRRR........

http://www.topnews.in/files/Rabid-Dog.jpg

Frizzie ain't gonna like that

RedLS1GTO
02-12-2011, 10:20pm
I'm going to go pout now

To be fair... I stick by my statement. I can't stand Kyle, but I will admit that he is a phenomenal talent.

Frizlefrak
02-12-2011, 10:24pm
To be fair... I stick by my statement. I can't stand Kyle, but I will admit that he is a phenomenal talent.

Kyle, unfortunately, didn't come up under the tutelage of Dale Sr.