PDA

View Full Version : A/C tensioner squeek

Sneaks
10-08-2009, 9:45am
Short version:
Replaced the tensioner pulley, idler pulley, and threw a new gatorback belt on. New pulleys are aluminum. Now, I"m getting a squeek that sounds like metal on metal. Sprayed some WD40 around the retainer bolts and washers, squeek goes away, but comes back soon as the WD40 has disapated. Driving me up the dang wall! :banghead:
My thinking is that the retainer washers are rubbing against the aluminum pulleys and causing the noise. So, before I replace the entire tensioner unit, I thought I would throw it around here and get some opinions.
What say you guys?

Cobra4B
10-08-2009, 11:25am
Weird... I went through all that a couple of years ago and replacing the tensioners did nothing. I got a Gatorback belt and it fixed it all. But I see you've allready done that.

DropTheTop
10-08-2009, 12:12pm
Mine went away also after I installed both Gatorbacks. :confused5:

Sneaks
10-08-2009, 8:12pm
New AC tensioner and all is well. Talk about a beoch to get on! :omg: Not a job for the un-limber individual. Took about an hour or so, and that's with the old one already taken off.
:takdir:

PortDawg
10-08-2009, 8:52pm
New AC tensioner and all is well. Talk about a beoch to get on! :omg: Not a job for the un-limber individual. Took about an hour or so, and that's with the old one already taken off.

Putting it on a lift helps..

Sneaks
10-08-2009, 9:41pm
Putting it on a lift helps..

I thought maybe going up from underneath would work better. Threw it up on jackstands, and no-go. Not enough room to work between the rack-n-pinion, leaf spring, and the tranny cooler lines.

DropTheTop
10-09-2009, 6:30am

Geez, and I thought getting the belt on was bad! :crazy:

Sneaks
10-09-2009, 7:17am
Geez, and I thought getting the belt on was bad! :crazy:

That's the easy part. :rolllaughing:

WKMCD
10-09-2009, 7:40am
I thought maybe going up from underneath would work better. Threw it up on jackstands, and no-go. Not enough room to work between the rack-n-pinion, leaf spring, and the tranny cooler lines.

I hate leaf springs...:D

DropTheTop
10-09-2009, 8:34am

:not-funny: Grumble, grumble, stupid leaf springs . . .

Sneaks
10-09-2009, 8:50am

How would you know? You don't have any. :winky: