PDA

View Full Version : [MovieNews] Sony is playing RISK...

ApexOversteer
11-04-2009, 6:51pm
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb164/ApexOversteer/sporclerisk.jpg

CULVER CITY, Calif., Nov. 4 — Sony Pictures Entertainment has acquired from Hasbro, Inc. the motion picture rights to produce RISK, the classic board game brand of world conquest, it was announced today by Doug Belgrad and Matt Tolmach, presidents of Columbia Pictures. The film will be produced and developed by Hasbro’s Brian Goldner and Bennett Schneir and Overbrook Entertainment’s James Lassiter.

Commenting on the announcement Belgrad said, “Hasbro has already seen tremendous success with Transformers and G.I. Joe and audiences have shown a great desire for films that bring to life everything that has made these franchise properties stand the test of time. The strategic thinking and the tactical gambles that players must take in the game are what make RISK a classic, thoroughly engaging game. Those elements translated into an action-packed, thrilling story are what will make this a uniquely exciting movie.”

Lassiter added “We are excited to be working with Hasbro and Columbia Pictures on bringing such a beloved and well-known game to life on the big screen. We have two television projects currently in development with Hasbro Studios and look forward to this collaboration.”

“We are thrilled to be working with tremendous partners like Sony Pictures and Overbrook Entertainment on RISK,” said Brian Goldner, President and CEO of Hasbro, Inc. “Like so many of Hasbro’s brands, RISK resonates with consumers of multiple generations around the world. We can’t wait to re-imagine this brand into a motion picture.”

The game was invented in 1957 by French filmmaker Albert Lamorisse as La Conquete du Monde (The Conquest of the World). Two years later, Parker Brothers published the game in the U.S. as RISK. According to Hasbro, RISK was a groundbreaking game, the first board game to offer nonlinear movement. In the game, players compete on a map of the world, amassing armies and attempting world domination, or, as its rules put it, to “occupy every territory on the board and in so doing, eliminate all other players.” The game has sold millions of copies and spawned several variations, with settings ranging from movie properties to various periods from world history to the moon.

Oh boy... can't wait to see that... a 6 hour movie, stopping every 15 minutes to fight about the rules.

I do love the Transformers/G.I. Joe comment... but, I guess a RISK movie kinda does qualify as 80's nostalgia...

I mean that's the last time I played it...

zz4vetteguy
11-04-2009, 7:00pm
I heard next will be Chutes and Ladders. And after that Canyland....not to be confused with Candi Land, which is a whole different movie.

DropTheTop
11-04-2009, 7:02pm
Sounds like it's got a ton of potential. :yesnod:

ApexOversteer
11-04-2009, 7:05pm
Sounds like it's got a ton of potential. :yesnod:

Its like Battleship... its an excuse to couch a film in a real historical war, without being tied to a true story...

Neutron
11-04-2009, 9:04pm
This move is gonna suck, I predict....

Munch
11-04-2009, 9:42pm
I'd go see the Hi Ho Cherry-O movie.

BuckyThreadkiller
11-04-2009, 9:48pm
Col. Mustard in the Library with an egg beater.

wait... wrong game.

Entropy
11-04-2009, 10:29pm
get the $*%& outta here. I can't believe it. :rofl: :rofl:

VatorMan
11-05-2009, 8:53am
How the hell can you make a movie about RISK ? Next will be Stratego.

BTW-I used to love playing both.

wwomanC6
11-05-2009, 9:28am
Someone will Menopolize on it either way!

ApexOversteer
11-05-2009, 12:42pm
Someone will Menopolize on it either way!

Ridley Scott is directing Monopoly for Universal. Not sure if he'll do that before or after his Alien Prequel.

Firevette
11-05-2009, 2:18pm
Ridley Scott is directing Monopoly for Universal.

Serious? That screams fail.

...all of thhis bull**** and I can't get a good Halo based action flick.:toetap:

ApexOversteer
11-05-2009, 2:21pm
Serious? That screams fail.

...all of thhis bull**** and I can't get a good Halo based action flick.:toetap:

People freak out at the idea of a $250,000,000 budget. If James Cameron's Avatar does well (really really well), I would expect to see Halo get turned around...