PDA

View Full Version : Looks like my time with the C4 has ended officially...next page (long)

RC000E
02-03-2011, 11:08am
Well, after 15 years of wanting to own a Corvette, last April marked the beginning of FINALLY owning one. I hadn't intended on finding the right deal on the opposite side of the country, but it was that good and I figured I always wanted to drive from Cali to Pa.

So, with a smooth transaction in San Diego I had an awesome 4 day drive with one of my good friends; we drove America's sports car across America. I later did some HPDE with the car, multiple touge runs w/video and many car meets, I'd had a great summer with the car. The LT1 coupled to the 6spd was an impressive package, despite its 20 year old stature and even older core design. I always felt impressed with the car considering what it was (a 180k mile 92). I got a lot of compliments on the car and the stance, and really enjoyed it. People around and in the car NEVER believed it had half the mileage I told them it did. Mobil1 and Corvette owner care...the proof that things properly cared for last.

Having closed my shop about 9 months prior to purchase, that kind of marked the end (or at least winding down) of my past 10 year involvement with imports. While I still support and help many people I know from my prior business, approx 10 years were spent building high hp Honda's, Mitsubishi's, etc. Funny as fate would have it, that decision to purchase the Corvette in some way really set me on a different path.

In late summer, while at an HPDE event, I saw a Factory Five GTM from the distance. I knew what it was, having looked at them for several years, and went straight to it. What I saw was a horrible excuse for a sports car, built by (what I assumed were) fools. After investigation I realized the car was owned by a local Dr. who contracted a company to build multiple examples for him. What I saw was someone contracted to build something that was way outa their league and filling their bank account.

I ended up contacting the doctor and we met. For about two weeks we met multiple times, and the people around him that represented his company slowly got to know me and became my allies to have me hired on.

The funny thing was, there was another guy after the same position. The position to run the company and facility that was being built. This individual was smart, semi car clueless though, yet felt he had more business experience than I did. The initial talk was that he'd manage admin side, I'd manage mechanical with the owner managing it all...something I knew wouldn't work (too many chiefs, no indians).

It all came down to one night we decided to meet for dinner. We met in a parking lot (central meeting point), so of course I drove my Corvette (the doctor owns Ferrari's, Lambo's, etc). Up drives Dave (the other guy) in a Cobalt SS with some mildly cheesy racing stripes, a subtle aftermarket wing and a few other add ons. A few people made some small comments under their breath and that was it.

The next day I was offered the job to run everything.

After talking with some other folks involved, all they could talk about was "did you see his car". I found it funny, because I'd talked to him about the car and it ran 13.40's, with slips to prove it. Perception was king though, and i didn't argue it. Imagine if I'd had my 430whp Del Sol. A car that likely pulls any car the Dr. owns on a highway, but perception wins.

Moving forward several months, I've got the redesign of one of our cars underway along with the construction of a 10.5k sq/ft performance shop/build facility. We've been to SEMA, LA Auto Show and we've got a great shop coming together preparing for an April 1 grand opening.

Having done pretty well so far, I was able to pay off debts left over from my prior business. Also, the C4 brought me something over the entire season I hadn't had in years of building/owning built cars. A vehicle I could just get into; performance good enough that I was content with it and I didn't have to touch it in my off time (aside from more basic needs...lower, shocks, etc). Something over the years that slowly became a burden was that while I built cars far faster and better handling than the C4, they required attention...caution even. I realized, man these Corvettes really are the ticket.

With that I decided in December that I'm doing well enough that I felt I was in a position to step up. The C4 is a great car, but it did need some work. While the engine/tranny was perfect, the suspension/braking needed attention in order to achieve a level I was after. Not being able to run away from a 2010 STi and being outbraked (while giving me great respect for Scooby's) just urked at my competitive side, and compared to what I'm now used to driving, I felt like it was time. I did consider throwin money at my C4, but with time very much a factor, I decided to look forward.

So, as of today I secured my deal to purchase a 2002 Black Z06 on March 19th. The car will continue to serve as my "release". The car I don't want to do much to, just get out on a saturday and have a good time leaving the shop chaos behind, the fabrication behind, the bills behind, the owner behind...and just enjoy a mean car for the money. I'll do wheels, hawk pads, dot 5 fluid, wrap it, etc....basic bang for the buck mods to get a little more out of the car at the limit, but that's it.

Funny how things go sometimes. My prior experience with fabrication and making huge power with Honda's and smaller engines sold my ability to the owner, yet somehow my 180k mile C4 was the push that actually got me the whole opportunity and double the salary. Strange.

C4, C5, C6, C7....either way there's still no better bang for the buck out there. I've made 900hp Integra's with 2.0 liters for 20k, but in the end it's still a Honda...it's still a platform adapted by your hand to perform. I love the underdog nature...I hurt a lot of feelings with Honda's...in the end though your driving the Civic home and he's drivin the Viper.

Corvettes give you the whole package; performance, presence, perception....all for what is essentially.....cheap. They're the best. People laugh at me all the time because I compare life to Corvettes...haha. People say, I'm going to buy a new Scion...I'm like "you could buy an 01 Z06". Someone says, "I'm going to buy a Silverado crew cab"....I say "man, you could swing an 06 Z06". Someone says to me "I'm going to buy a new Gallardo"...I say "Man, you could have a ZR1 for the weekend and a Z06 for a daily"....lol.

I'm Corvette nuts, always have been...but finally having the opportunity to drive so many over the last year just sealed the deal. These cars are incredible for the money. Keep on racing GM...and keep on making these cars better and better!

PLRX
02-03-2011, 1:30pm
I didnt read your thread but, we know you'll make the right decision.

RetiredSFC 97
02-03-2011, 2:03pm
you'll like the Z

RedLS1GTO
02-03-2011, 4:02pm
...in the end though your driving the Civic home and he's drivin the Viper.

Yahtzee. Which is pretty much the argument that we had at the other place all that time ago. No matter how fast the Honda might be, it is still just a Honda. There is a whole lot more to a car than the numbers on a piece of paper.

Someone says, "I'm going to buy a Silverado crew cab"....I say "man, you could swing an 06 Z06".

But sometimes you need that truck for Corvette related purposes. :dance:

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p90/botch1980/Race%20Car/VIR%20TrackDaze%202010/tow.jpg

RedLS1GTO
02-03-2011, 4:17pm
Ohhhhh yea. To the original point. You'll love the C5Z.

Although I have to ask... when you say you are going to "wrap it", what exactly are you planning?

RC000E
02-03-2011, 5:09pm
We established a deal with 3m and displayed some of the product at SEMA. We do full vehicle wraps with the dinoc 1080 system. It's great for protecting paint, plus allows a quick change to the look.

What I have in mind is a play off of another GM based product design...it'll be sick though...don't you worry. It'll be unique...a great representation for the company, plays right into the Corvette enthusiast base and will make my stuff look sick while keepin the paint MINT and protected. :dance:

RC000E
02-03-2011, 5:22pm
Yahtzee. Which is pretty much the argument that we had at the other place all that time ago. No matter how fast the Honda might be, it is still just a Honda. There is a whole lot more to a car than the numbers on a piece of paper.

Yes, but the fact of the matter is that there is a respected ability to take nothing and turn it into something that can outperform a purpose engineered platform. That's what I was arguing.

There's a faction of people who respect when a person takes a given platform and improves the performance of that platform substantially, then there's those who are narrow minded and think their shit doesn't stink; all the while being half the builder than those they judge. Both of those types of people drive Corvettes....and unfortunately many seem to be the latter of the two.

Something I've simply accepted....I do what I do, and go where it leads me. I can make anything fast and I can make anything fast faster....it's all the same to me, it just that some things provide a different experience...all unique in their own way though.

nypearson
02-03-2011, 7:42pm
Yes, but the fact of the matter is that there is a respected ability to take nothing and turn it into something that can outperform a purpose engineered platform. That's what I was arguing.

There's a faction of people who respect when a person takes a given platform and improves the performance of that platform substantially, then there's those who are narrow minded and think their shit doesn't stink; all the while being half the builder than those they judge. Both of those types of people drive Corvettes....and unfortunately many seem to be the latter of the two.

Something I've simply accepted....I do what I do, and go where it leads me. I can make anything fast and I can make anything fast faster....it's all the same to me, it just that some things provide a different experience...all unique in their own way though.

Congrats on the business opp. and before I say anything I will state that we own an accord and it's a great car. wasn't my choice though, as far as modifying imports that were mass produced econoboxes, I see it as something young people do because they can on the cheap. I don't consider them hot rods like a model A ford thats been modded or any car from the 50's or 60's. Now if it was a 240z or even a 80's Supra hats off to the owner, but a 99 civic thats been supercharged is just weird. Best of luck.

mike100
02-03-2011, 8:06pm
Post pics of your c5 when you get it.

RedLS1GTO
02-03-2011, 10:40pm

When somebody takes a car and builds it to be fast AND RELIABLE I will gladly give it the credit that it deserves as well as all of the respect in the world to the person/people who built it regardless of the emblem on the front. However, the percentage of modified Hondas that meet BOTH of the above requirements is about .001% of the ones running around like idiots with fart pipes bolted on the back and the ones who brag about how fast their XXX horsepower car is but when an invite is given to go to the track the response is "...I can't because the XXX is broken right now", "...I'm still waiting to get the tuning right", or any of the other idiotic things that are constantly said. I think that most people have the same level of open mindedness that I do but when the vast majority of the people that talk about how fast their Honda is are f'n clowns it makes it a lot more difficult to actually pick out the few who aren't.

I'm guessing by the way that you speak with some level of intelligence that you actually have the knowledge to build a reliable and fast import... but if that is the case you are part of the very small minority. :cheers: