PDA

View Full Version : 58mm Throttle body

drmrman
02-02-2011, 9:03pm
Hey dudes! Just snagged a brand new never installed BBK 58mm throttle body from my buddy! Im really pumped to install it! Anyone else have this throttle body? Any thoughts?

Also looks like Im going to be picking myself up a CHEAP CHEAP intake mani to port match (get some practice with the dye grinder)

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e293/drmrman/58mm.jpg

Everything is looking AWESOME so far except looks like the throttle cable might be too short... Any factory adjustments?

Thanks guys :D! :hurray:

drmrman
02-02-2011, 9:04pm
Woops... this prob should have went in the tech section... Oh well :D

drmrman
02-02-2011, 10:03pm
Oh yeah! And anyone know where I can get an filter air duct that will fit around the 58mm throttle body? The factory one's too small :(

Dogfish246
02-02-2011, 10:13pm
Sounds like a nice little project! I dont have any answers though lol

PLRX
02-02-2011, 11:22pm
Oh yeah! And anyone know where I can get an filter air duct that will fit around the 58mm throttle body? The factory one's too small :(

I got a 58mm in my 96 and I use the OEM duct. Make it fit! http://msnsmileys.net/b/smileys/Bananas/Ojoj7.gif

drmrman
02-03-2011, 7:14am
I got a 58mm in my 96 and I use the OEM duct. Make it fit! http://msnsmileys.net/b/smileys/Bananas/Ojoj7.gif

HAHA Okay! I like your style :D:hurray:

I know your motor is modded but how do you like the TB? Smooth? quick response?... blah blah....?

WW7
02-03-2011, 8:24am
Unless you have mods done to your motor the larger TB won't make any difference in performance..I have about 380-390 hp with my 383 and my tuner and builder both suggested I keep the stock TB because I would have to have over 400 hp to notice a difference...WW

03SlowZ06
02-03-2011, 8:29am
Like WW7 mentioned. On a stock motor that T/B is to much. You are going to lose air velocity. The throttle may be snappier off idle but the over all power gain is going to be minimal. You may lose some power in the middle.

WW7
02-03-2011, 8:41am
Like WW7 mentioned. On a stock motor that T/B is to much. You are going to lose air velocity. The throttle may be snappier off idle but the over all power gain is going to be minimal. You may lose some power in the middle.

Your correct, It was also pointed out to me that I could actually lose power at higher rpms with a larger TB. With a long tube runner setup you want velocity throughout the whole system( this includes your exhaust)..Its only when you go up to a high volume , lower velocity system, (Like a Super ram) with mods to your engine that you can actually use the extra air that a larger TB can give you. Alot of people don't realize that you have to balance your system, and that one component in your system being wrong can lose you hp.I suggest anyone without experience wanting to modify there engine to get John Lingenfelters book on building and modifing SB Chevy engines.This book tells you what works and what doesn't , best book I have ever read on the subject.. .WW

03SlowZ06
02-03-2011, 8:43am
Im a Z owner now but I have built a ton of LT1 and LT4 motors. I used to have a bunch of F-Bodies.

PLRX
02-03-2011, 1:33pm
HAHA Okay! I like your style :D:hurray:

I know your motor is modded but how do you like the TB? Smooth? quick response?... blah blah....?

I cant tell you because I installed all components at once. There is one thing, unless you got modifications done to the intake ans exhaust, a 58mm TB will not increase anything related to HP. I bought a 58mm because the builder(s) told me to do so. My original plan was to buy a 52mm.

C4fan
02-03-2011, 4:20pm
I cant tell you because I installed all components at once. There is one thing, unless you got modifications done to the intake ans exhaust, a 58mm TB will not increase anything related to HP. I bought a 58mm because the builder(s) told me to do so. My original plan was to buy a 52mm.

Wow, this story is familiar. I have a 58mm on my 383 that I'm working on now. The person who custom designed my cam and will be doing the tune when done is who told me to get the 58mm. I was going to get the 52mm also. The one you have there looks just like mine which was said to come from Summit. I know where I can get a new Holley 52mm for $75 but didn't have the money to own 2 of them.

drmrman
02-03-2011, 5:28pm
Thanks all! I know full and well that this will not show any gains now. But this preferably will NOT be a naturally aspirated car much longer... SO this is a supporting mod for a blower :D

Thanks! :D

Vette Jockey
02-03-2011, 5:38pm
Make it fit! http://msnsmileys.net/b/smileys/Bananas/Ojoj7.gif

:smash: Pete, you're kill'in me :rofl: