PDA

View Full Version : Marco needs new shocks

Frizlefrak
01-30-2011, 10:59pm
OK....apparently I can post new threads again....

LF shock is leaking....still has 16 year old factory Bilsteins. I don't race or autocross, but do enjoy a spirited run through the mountains now and then.

Should I spring for new Bilsteins or just go with AC Delco? How much of a difference will it make it my handling? Car does not have selective ride....

What say ye?

mike100
01-30-2011, 11:11pm
The Bilstein usa western office is 20 miles from my house, so whenever this topic comes up, I suggest trying to see if they can rebuilt at the factory shop. I do know that they rework the fx3 shocks- it is about half the cost of a new one.

mike100
01-30-2011, 11:14pm
of course I didn't figure in shipping, so the factory rebuild is more viable as a local customer.... maybe you can just buy a pair.

PLRX
01-30-2011, 11:32pm
All the help in the world is here to Help You OUT!!

Pete http://www.myemoticons.com/emoticons/images/msn/moods/thumbsup.gif

Frizlefrak
01-30-2011, 11:38pm
Are the Bilsteins really that much better? I've never had a set (other than the worn out ones on Marco) so have no real comparison to say KYB or just AC Delco. Again, the car is mostly just a weekend cruiser, but if the difference is really that much, I'll open my wallet.

mike100
01-30-2011, 11:40pm
They say the KYB's are the best basic el-cheapo no frills shock that isn't too soft.

PLRX
01-31-2011, 12:58am
Yeah....but I need shocks ;)

Here you go

Marco is going to love them!!

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj290/plrx/shocks.jpg

Dogfish246
01-31-2011, 1:12am
I say go with Bilsteins because it took 15yrs to wear them out so the increased price for them will be offset by the longevity and ride quality! Just like tires, I will never skimp on this stuff ever again! When my Bilsteins go, I will go with Bilsteins! :cheers:

Frizlefrak
01-31-2011, 1:16am
Here you go

Marco is going to love them!!

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj290/plrx/shocks.jpg

BAN HIM!! :lolsmile:

Frizlefrak
01-31-2011, 1:17am
I say go with Bilsteins because it took 15yrs to wear them out so the increased price for them will be offset by the longevity and ride quality! Just like tires, I will never skimp on this stuff ever again! When my Bilsteins go, I will go with Bilsteins! :cheers:

I'm leaning that way, I just wondered if they're overkill for what I use the car for. I'm never going to push it anywhere near its limits.

Dogfish246
01-31-2011, 7:45am
I'm leaning that way, I just wondered if they're overkill for what I use the car for. I'm never going to push it anywhere near its limits.

I hear ya! I use mine for daily driving so I can understand that it's hard to justify all that money when there are other options. My only concern is changing the way the Vette rides. Right now, she is perfect and I wouldnt want to ruin that feel that makes a C4 a C4! Keep up posted on what you do! :cheers:

five-oh
01-31-2011, 7:54am

Hmmmm.... You push it to its limits just by getting in it, Friz! They are a part of the suspension, after all.:lolsmile:

RedLS1GTO
01-31-2011, 8:31am
They say the KYB's are the best basic el-cheapo no frills shock that isn't too soft.

True.

I say go with Bilsteins...

True.

There are a vew variations of Bilstein shocks out there ranging from "normal" to teeth rattling stiffness. Pick the one that most fits your needs and don't look back. You can't go wrong with Bilstein.

...as I say that, there are KYBs on the old 87 and for a non-racing, driver it isn't bad. I bought them back in the college days when Ramen noodles were a gourmet meal and before I could afford to do it "right".

WW7
01-31-2011, 9:00am
Friz, I have had KYBs on my car for 3 1/2 years and I personally think it rides and handles great. I have also been in friends cars that had Bilstiens and even though I wasn't intentionally thinking about the ride I don't remember noticing any difference from the way mine rides..I had AC Delcos on my car when I bought it. When I switched to the KYBs I did notice it stiffened up quite a bit but those shocks were probably at there end of life..If your car is used for just cruising like mine is,with the mountain road runs mixed in once in awhile, then the KYBs may be all you need....WW

Bilsteins $300.00
KYBs $140.00
AC Delco$140.00

RedLS1GTO
01-31-2011, 9:03am
Bilsteins $300.00
KYBs $140.00
AC Delco$140.00

Are the Bilsteins better? Yep. Are they worth more than twice as much? That one is up to you. I haven't looked at prices in a while and didn't realize that the difference was that big.

PLRX
01-31-2011, 11:34am
Friz,

Random help

90 1990 Chevrolet Corvette Shock Absorber - Suspension - Bilstein, Edelbrock, KYB, Monroe, Front, Rear - PartsGeek (http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/1990/chevrolet/corvette/suspension/shock_absorber.html)

Home (http://www.bilsteinus.com/)

Bilstein's phone number 858-386-5900

http://www.bilsteinus.com/contact.php[/QUOTE]

I'd say call them and compare on new ones and a rebuild.

If you were a nOOb I would have never done that!

Dogfish246
01-31-2011, 12:33pm
True.

True.

There are a vew variations of Bilstein shocks out there ranging from "normal" to teeth rattling stiffness. Pick the one that most fits your needs and don't look back. You can't go wrong with Bilstein.

...as I say that, there are KYBs on the old 87 and for a non-racing, driver it isn't bad. I bought them back in the college days when Ramen noodles were a gourmet meal and before I could afford to do it "right".

Sounds like me now haha :D

Frizlefrak
01-31-2011, 1:09pm
Thanks Pete....

It's not really an issue of money, it's an issue of do i really NEED them for what I use the car for. If using cheaper shocks will radically alter the way the car handles, I'll spring for the Bilsteins. If I won't know the difference in 90% of my driving, I'll go with KYB or Delco.

I'm leaning toward just buying new Bilsteins. I'd hate to spend the (albeit less) money on cheaper shocks, only to hate them and wind up buying the Bilsteins anyway. The first set lasted this long....by them time the next set are gone, I may be pissing through a tube and gumming my food.

Bronze85
01-31-2011, 1:36pm
I just bought some kyb's from a CFer, the car has Sensatracs on it now. After researching, the consensus was the kyb's were comparable to bilstein at a reasonable cost and the Monroes were junk. I'll know the difference when the weather gets warm again. :cheers:

Frizlefrak
01-31-2011, 1:44pm
Hmmmm.... You push it to its limits just by getting in it, Friz! They are a part of the suspension, after all.:lolsmile:

I'm not the one with the diet of Krispy Kreme, my badged brutha....:rofl:

I just bought some kyb's from a CFer, the car has Sensatracs on it now. After researching, the consensus was the kyb's were comparable to bilstein at a reasonable cost and the Monroes were junk. I'll know the difference when the weather gets warm again. :cheers:

I have KYB's on my Fiero, and they woke up the handling on it pretty good...of course the old shocks/struts were mush, so anything would have.

Thanks for the input...KYB is definately an option.

WW7
01-31-2011, 1:44pm
Thanks Pete....

It's not really an issue of money, it's an issue of do i really NEED them for what I use the car for. If using cheaper shocks will radically alter the way the car handles, I'll spring for the Bilsteins. If I won't know the difference in 90% of my driving, I'll go with KYB or Delco.

I'm leaning toward just buying new Bilsteins. I'd hate to spend the (albeit less) money on cheaper shocks, only to hate them and wind up buying the Bilsteins anyway. The first set lasted this long....by them time the next set are gone, I may be pissing through a tube and gumming my food.

Sounds like you have made up your mind already..:D..WW

Sweet 90
01-31-2011, 1:47pm
I'm not the one with the diet of Krispy Kreme, my badged brutha....:rofl:

:lolsmile:
I think you had better take the great state of Arkansas off your " Places To Visit" list:lolsmile:

Frizlefrak
01-31-2011, 1:50pm
:lolsmile:
I think you had better take the great state of Arkansas off your " Places To Visit" list:lolsmile:

Yeah....something tells me incarceration there wouldn't go well.....:kick:

Sweet 90
01-31-2011, 1:51pm
Yeah....something tells me incineration there would go well.....:kick:

Fixed:cheers:

Frizlefrak
01-31-2011, 1:55pm
Fixed:cheers:

Wrong. The last thing I need is a freelance proctologist with three teeth. :lolsmile:

C4fan
01-31-2011, 2:00pm
You can borrow my monroe's (installed by PO). Use them for a few days then you can get just about anything and will be glad to get them.

Frizlefrak
01-31-2011, 2:03pm
You can borrow my monroe's (installed by PO). Use them for a few days then you can get just about anything and will be glad to get them.

My silver 84 had them from the P.O too. They came off in short order. They still looked fairly new and were totally gone....produced a nasty shimmy in the front end. Went with Delco on that car....was a big improvement.

Sweet 90
01-31-2011, 2:13pm
Wrong. The last thing I need is a freelance proctologist with three teeth. :lolsmile:

:lolsmile::lolsmile:
Now back to our regularly scheduled program:hurray:

Vette Jockey
02-01-2011, 5:58pm
:lolsmile::lolsmile:
Now back to our regularly scheduled program:hurray:

1995 CHEVROLET CORVETTE V8 5.7L GAS FI NA
Setting:
Show All Settings
B6 Heavy Duty (HD)Bilstein B6 Heavy Duty monotube gas pressure shocks and struts are the ideal choice for most vehicles, including full-size sedans, SUVs and trucks. These shocks provide improved handling and stability, without sacrificing ride comfort. They offer super damping ability that makes them ideal for the driver who demands superior performance, while maintaining an exceptional street ride. (yellow paint, steel body)
B8 Sport (SP)Bilstein B6 Heavy Duty monotube gas pressure shocks and struts are the ideal choice for most vehicles, including full-size sedans, SUVs and trucks. These shocks provide improved handling and stability, without sacrificing ride comfort. They offer super damping ability that makes them ideal for the driver who demands superior performance, while maintaining an exceptional street ride. (yellow paint, steel body)
46mm Monotube Shock Absorber (click for more info)

(24-184878) MSRP: $132.00
Setting: B8 Sport (SP)
Drive Type: RWD
Position: Rear
Descriptor: Z51 with 17in wheels
Old Part Number: F4-B46-2058-H0

(24-184861) MSRP: $132.00
Position: Front
Old Part Number: F4-B46-2057-H0

(24-020541) MSRP: $132.00
Setting: B6 Heavy Duty (HD)
Descriptor: Excludes Z51
Old Part Number: F4-B46-2054-H0;F4-B46-2054-H1

(24-020534) MSRP: $132.00
Old Part Number: F4-B46-2053-H0;F4-B46-2053-H1
:D :leaving:

nypearson
02-01-2011, 6:08pm
1995 CHEVROLET CORVETTE V8 5.7L GAS FI

(24-184878) MSRP: $132.00
Old Part Number: F4-B46-2058-H0

(24-184861) MSRP: $132.00
Old Part Number: F4-B46-2057-H0

(24-020541) MSRP: $132.00
Old Part Number: F4-B46-2054-H0;F4-B46-2054-H1

(24-020534) MSRP: $132.00
Old Part Number: F4-B46-2053-H0;F4-B46-2053-H1
:D :leaving:

Less than $300.00 for all four is pretty good. I would do it.:yesnod: