09CTSV
10-31-2009, 7:01pm
I hate windows when it crashes. Still updating the darn thing.UGH

Neutron
10-31-2009, 7:09pm
Yes, I do too.

boracayjohnny
10-31-2009, 7:14pm
I hate it when you're lifting the window and it slips and lands on your head as you're trying to look outside.

:sad:

Neutron
10-31-2009, 7:21pm
Yes, I do too.

Munch
10-31-2009, 7:40pm
I hate it when you're lifting the window and it slips and lands on your head as you're trying to Pee outside.

thegreenman
10-31-2009, 7:44pm
I have never understood why Winblows is so popular.

09CTSV
10-31-2009, 7:50pm
I am ready for something else. Luckily I was able to back up most of the stuff so now it is just moving it back onto the computer.

thegreenman
10-31-2009, 8:26pm
Unfortunately most software programmers only code for winblows.

09CTSV
10-31-2009, 8:41pm
I think my CPU is dying. When I explore my documents the CPU usage goes to 54% and then almost dies. It takes forever for anything other than the web to load and run right.

boracayjohnny
10-31-2009, 8:52pm
I think my CPU is dying. When I explore my documents the CPU usage goes to 54% and then almost dies. It takes forever for anything other than the web to load and run right.

You have/had high dollar cars and an old, tired ass 'puter. What's up with that? Yo dawg, you gots to roll wit it.

http://i406.photobucket.com/albums/pp141/boracayjohnny/mw.jpg

thegreenman
10-31-2009, 8:53pm
You may want to do a virus scan and spyware scan to make sure you are clean. I also like to run ccleaner, this helps to clean temp files and other stuff.

DropTheTop
10-31-2009, 9:10pm
ADAWARE, SPYBOT, PEST PATROL

If you need them, I'll send them to you. :cheers:

09CTSV
11-01-2009, 6:21am
Did a virus scan, spyware scan, adware scan. I run Firefox with adblocker so most of that crap dies before it sees the computer. I am running CA for my anti virus and spyware. The computer has been doing the slow down for a bit now. I noticed it when I open explorer and look at large items in my documents. This is about the time everything slows down.
I am going to try updating the BIOS and some other drivers and see if it kicks or I kick it.

I did a clean install of windows and it still is slow when I open files and look at documents.
:question:

09CTSV
11-01-2009, 6:22am
You have/had high dollar cars and an old, tired ass 'puter. What's up with that? Yo dawg, you gots to roll wit it.

http://i406.photobucket.com/albums/pp141/boracayjohnny/mw.jpg

I'm running a fairly new computer I built about a year ago. It might be time to do it all over again.

thegreenman
11-01-2009, 6:34am
Sounds like my computer at work. I stopped using internet exploder and only use Firefox now and the browsing is working better.

If you haven't done it already, run defrag. Windows files are fragmented even with a fresh install.

Did you try ccleaner (short for "crap cleaner")? I use this program often to clean out the temp/cache files which will slow down a computer.

Ocalaguy
11-01-2009, 7:41am
I hate it when you're lifting the window and it slips and lands on your head as you're trying to escape outside.

DropTheTop
11-01-2009, 8:10am
+1 for Firefox. Good luck with the fix.

tomurphjr
11-01-2009, 3:18pm
This is probably not the issue, but have you checked your processor fan? Maybe over heating. Are your case fan/s running? Download core temp to see where you are at.

snide
11-01-2009, 6:51pm
I am ready for something else. Luckily I was able to back up most of the stuff so now it is just moving it back onto the computer.

Did a virus scan, spyware scan, adware scan. I run Firefox with adblocker so most of that crap dies before it sees the computer. I am running CA for my anti virus and spyware. The computer has been doing the slow down for a bit now. I noticed it when I open explorer and look at large items in my documents. This is about the time everything slows down.
I am going to try updating the BIOS and some other drivers and see if it kicks or I kick it.

I did a clean install of windows and it still is slow when I open files and look at documents.
:question:

I'm running a fairly new computer I built about a year ago. It might be time to do it all over again.

Apple (http://www.apple.com)

:cheers:

boracayjohnny
11-01-2009, 7:04pm
Apple (http://www.apple.com)

http://i406.photobucket.com/albums/pp141/boracayjohnny/fortheAppleLeghumpers.jpg

09CTSV
11-01-2009, 7:22pm
The fans are clean, core temp was 89. When running an install program I noticed the CPU is not hitting on both of the processors. I had a video upgrade and it maxed out the CPU for about 2 minutes. I thought the machine was locked but it eventually backed off the 100% and finished the install.
I am not overclocked on the machine, I am running my last AMD chip though.

thegreenman
11-01-2009, 7:38pm
That could be the trub, try pulling the video card and put some POS card in it to see if it works any better. One of my video cards made my PC computer slow down and often freeze.

09CTSV
11-01-2009, 7:45pm
Tried that, went with the onboard Video and it was just as bad. Pulled the video from the wife's computer, don't tell her, and it was just as bad. Watching the graph in task manager the two sides of the cpu are not getting used the same. On the web it is around 5-15% of cpu usage, when in outlook, word etc it runs over 50% usage.

thegreenman
11-01-2009, 7:52pm
Any processes showing up as high usage on winblows task manager?

09CTSV
11-01-2009, 8:08pm
Everything is less than 30K with the exception of FF at 103K.

thegreenman
11-01-2009, 8:12pm
Sort by CPU usage, maybe something will show up hogging the CPU.

09CTSV
11-01-2009, 8:22pm
Two biggest users are isafe.exe at 51.9K and firefox at 110K. Outlook 33K, itmrtsvc.exe at 33K, svchost at 23K, TRHDCPL.exe at 21K and everything else less than 10K.
When I open my documents one side of the cpu usage graph pegs out while the other side stays near the bottom. I don't see any big changes in any of the process numbers.

DropTheTop
11-01-2009, 8:47pm
It sucks when the problem isn't obvious. trying to figure this chit out is :willy:

09CTSV
11-01-2009, 8:56pm
I have an easy fix, expensive but easy. In the mean time this will lead to massive amounts of:beer::beer:

thegreenman
11-01-2009, 9:03pm
Two biggest users are isafe.exe at 51.9K and firefox at 110K. Outlook 33K, itmrtsvc.exe at 33K, svchost at 23K, TRHDCPL.exe at 21K and everything else less than 10K.
When I open my documents one side of the cpu usage graph pegs out while the other side stays near the bottom. I don't see any big changes in any of the process numbers.

The program size isn't a problem unless you have bad or not enough memory. I would look at Windows Task Manager, Processes, hit the CPU column to sort by CPU usage. Something here is probably using most of the CPU. Often when booting up a computer Anti-virus, firewalls, etc will hog the CPU until the computer is checked/scanned.

Don't worry about one side of the graph pegging while the other is cruising. Windows and nearly all windows programs are not capable of mult-thread/multi-processor usage.

thegreenman
11-01-2009, 9:07pm
I have an easy fix, expensive but easy. In the mean time this will lead to massive amounts of:beer::beer:

I don't have to work tonight, that is what I am doing right now. :cheers:

By the way, how much memory do you have. Microsux programs need a lot of memory, average now I would say is in the 2G range just to run Winblows and the crappy software that goes with it.

Just in case anyone isn't clear, I am not a Microsoft Windows fan. :lolsmile:

09CTSV
11-01-2009, 9:10pm
System idle process is using 99 everything else is 0 or FF is 02 occasionally.
ITMRTSVC.exe is using around 45-50 when I open My Documents or do a right click explore from the start menu.

Culookin
11-01-2009, 9:12pm
That's why I use a mac :lol:

09CTSV
11-01-2009, 9:22pm
I don't have to work tonight, that is what I am doing right now. :cheers:

By the way, how much memory do you have. Microsux programs need a lot of memory, average now I would say is in the 2G range just to run Winblows and the crappy software that goes with it.

Just in case anyone isn't clear, I am not a Microsoft Windows fan. :lolsmile:

Current system is: AMD Athlon 4400, Gigabyte GA-K8N51GMF-9 motherboard, nVdia 512 MB video card, 4 GB DDR memory, 2 ULTRA 166 250GB hard drives configured in a mirror raid.
I have looked at the MAC's but lack of software programs have had me shy away from them.
I appreciate all the help.

thegreenman
11-01-2009, 9:26pm
System idle process is using 99 everything else is 0 or FF is 02 occasionally.
ITMRTSVC.exe is using around 45-50 when I open My Documents or do a right click explore from the start menu.

ITMRTSVC.exe should be okay, part of your anti-virus or firewall, as long as it drops shortly after starting.

Could be a virus, spyware or worm running that your programs can not detect. Update your antirus, spyware etc programs, should be able to do an online update for all.

An online program I use from time to time to clean up crap norton or mcafee can not detect is HouseCall - Trend Micro USA (http://housecall.trendmicro.com/). They are pushing their beta version now which I haven't used yet, I will run it tonight. Housecall is good, but slow, needs to run overnight.

09CTSV
11-01-2009, 9:27pm
I think I've found the smoking gun. I just temporarily disabled the CA AV and wow performance is back. The itmrtsvc.exe is a part of the CA anti virus for back ground checking. Now to figure out why the heck it just started doing all of this.

thegreenman
11-01-2009, 9:27pm
Current system is: AMD Athlon 4400, Gigabyte GA-K8N51GMF-9 motherboard, nVdia 512 MB video card, 4 GB DDR memory, 2 ULTRA 166 250GB hard drives configured in a mirror raid.
I have looked at the MAC's but lack of software programs have had me shy away from them.
I appreciate all the help.

You have plenty of hardware power, unless something is crapping out you should be good there.

09CTSV
11-01-2009, 9:32pm
I timed the opening of My Documents while watching the CPU usage. The itmrtsvc file was active for 16 seconds and it took 10 seconds just to open the folder. Without AV enabled it was less than 2 second to open the folder.

thegreenman
11-01-2009, 9:37pm
That's why I use a mac :lol:

Mac is good, most people do not know it is based on BSD, which is a little better than Linux. At work almost all UNIX based computers. Even at home, most of my 75 or so computers are UNIX based or non-windblows. (Solaris, Linux, BSD, HPUX, IRIX, OpenVMS, MacOS WS/Server, OS2, probably a few others I am forgetting). To say nothing about the OS needed for my switches, routers, etc. Dam, I sound like a geek.

09CTSV
11-01-2009, 9:38pm
Time to put on the thinking cap and figure out the AV software. Maybe I'll send Computer Associates and email and see if they have a clue as to why it is such a resource hog.

Thanks for all the help.
Good Night.

thegreenman
11-01-2009, 9:43pm
Time to put on the thinking cap and figure out the AV software. Maybe I'll send Computer Associates and email and see if they have a clue as to why it is such a resource hog.

Thanks for all the help.
Good Night.

You might be able to uninstall the AV, reboot then reinstall the same AV program, might be worth a shot.

I had the same problem with Norton AV, I didn't like it anyhoot so I removed it and went with McAfee, problem solved.

tomurphjr
11-02-2009, 7:13am
I use NOD32 on my windows 7 machine at home and like it a lot. It uses very little resourses and works great.

Norton is known to be a resourse hog.

GB Vette
11-02-2009, 7:18am
One of the best out there is Microsoft Security Essentials and it's FREE.

http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/

And unlike Norton or McAfee it's not a resource hog at all :cheers:

Works on xP, Vista and M7

BTW, not promoting Winblows here either.

thegreenman
11-02-2009, 9:02am
One of the best out there is Microsoft Security Essentials and it's FREE.

http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/

And unlike Norton or McAfee it's not a resource hog at all :cheers:

Works on xP, Vista and M7

I installed it and will try a scan tonight, thanks. :cheers:

09CTSV
11-02-2009, 5:44pm
Thanks Gary,
I've downloaded and installing it now. I'll see how this helps the slowdown.
Leo

thegreenman
11-03-2009, 8:58am
I tried it last night, it found one unknown Trojan. Several known troubled files were not detected, lets call this my test directory.

What I didn't like, when installing it, Microsoft changes the updates to automatically on and while running the scan last night it downloaded updates and rebooted my computer in the middle of the night. This is typical for Microsoft software, I forgot to check for automatic updating. Good thing I am using Firefox, I could restore all of my connections.

Microsoft Essentials is worth the price and works as well as other programs.

Thanks for the info Gary. :banana:

09CTSV
11-03-2009, 6:27pm
Well the computer is a little quicker. Still something bogging it. I think the processor might be slowing a little bit.
Might be time to upgrade.
Thanks for the tip on the AV, Gary.
Leo