PDA

View Full Version : C6 Z51 shocks on a C5 is there a difference in years?

bighank
01-25-2011, 12:12pm
Have a 98 vert with over 80K miles. Looking at replacing shocks with Z51 or Z06 shocks. Daily driver not track. Want control but not harshness. Heard that C6 Z51 shocks are not as stiff or harsh as the Z06 shocks. Also heard the Z51 shocks were improved in 07 or 08.

Someone who knows please advise the differences.

Also considering Z51 or Z06 sway bars and aluminium links but I think the most difference in handling will be from the shocks.

Have Michelin Pilot Sport A/S ZPs on with lots of tread. Car is not lowered.

Thanks BIGHANK

Fastguy
01-25-2011, 11:36pm
I have never been able to find a published shock rating or spring listing rated anywhere so any answers you get will be entirely anecdotal. I have a 98 with the C6Z06 shocks and C5Z06 sways/endlinks. Its been so long since my car was stock that I don't remember what it felt like, but I don't find the current setup harsh at all and the car handles decent.

Mark C5
01-28-2011, 11:13pm
The C6 Z51 shocks will fit your car but most people are going with the C6 Z06 shocks. They are much cheaper and perform very nice. I have them along with the C6 Z51 sway bars. When driving around town normally there isn't much difference in ride quality or handling but when you start to push it, you can really feel the difference from both the bars and shocks.

Check with Gene Culley at GM Parts | GM Accessories | GM Parts House (http://www.gmpartshouse.com) for a great deal on both the shocks and bars.

2ez 2spd
06-18-2011, 4:26pm
The C6 Z51 shocks will fit your car but most people are going with the C6 Z06 shocks. They are much cheaper and perform very nice. I have them along with the C6 Z51 sway bars. When driving around town normally there isn't much difference in ride quality or handling but when you start to push it, you can really feel the difference from both the bars and shocks.

Check with Gene Culley at GM Parts | GM Accessories | GM Parts House (http://www.gmpartshouse.com) for a great deal on both the shocks and bars.

What did you use for end links & bushings? and how hard was the install of the sway bars?

I just got C6Z51 sway bars but I still need end links and I was going to use the poly bushings from Pfadt racing.

Mark C5
07-08-2011, 5:57am
What did you use for end links & bushings? and how hard was the install of the sway bars?

I just got C6Z51 sway bars but I still need end links and I was going to use the poly bushings from Pfadt racing.

The bars came with poly bushings from GM. I used new stock end links. The only "trick" is to make sure you use a torque wrench on the end links. They call for 40 ft/lbs and I've seen dozens of posts on the other forum from people who tried to wing it and ended up with a clunking noise. Sorry I took so long to respond.

slant
07-13-2011, 11:19pm
why would you waste time on OEM shocks?