PDA

View Full Version : Ok, Now I'm really Confused?? Car is running ok

socalman
01-24-2011, 9:15pm
Here's 3 things I did while trying to do some more tests.

Pressure tested the Fuel Air Canister Solenoid (sits by the TB) by pumping with air (key on, engine off) to 10hgs- if it holds, it's good

Removed plug off Temp Sensor to see if it's really registering- SES came on upon start up, car bogged and choked while in park (was not a prior symptom- only bogged when under load)( car was cold). So, I knew it worked. Turned off car, plugged back in- started car, back to normal & no SES.

Pulled IAC plug after car warmed up and pulled each injector wire, one at a time, then put back- repeat. (to see if idle changed- it did all 8 cyls). Plugged IAC back in.

Car ran fine. Took off and car ran normal under load. !st time in 2 months and aprox 15 different outings.

Returned and I unplugged the IAC (car off). Started car and idle screamed to 3k. Shut off, replugged and started car.

Again, ran fine. Under load, around the block a couple times.

What the hell happened? If the Opti was bad, could it possibly do something like this?

PLRX
01-24-2011, 9:29pm
It was "The Force"

http://www.captainbluehen.com/wp-content/yoda1.jpg

navyndi2
01-25-2011, 12:08am
I had some water hoses leak on my opti and cause all kinds of problems. When the water lvl got down low it went away but the car would start heating up, after a bit of time i found the leak and replaced the hoses before the water pump failed and destoyed the opti. Just a thought. :cheers:

socalman
01-25-2011, 12:32am
I had some water hoses leak on my opti and cause all kinds of problems. When the water lvl got down low it went away but the car would start heating up, after a bit of time i found the leak and replaced the hoses before the water pump failed and destoyed the opti. Just a thought. :cheers: I don't have any leaks although I dumped antifreeze/water over the entire thing while trying to do something (one of the tests) but this was after it was running bad.

I'm wondering if removing the Temp sensor causing the SES light did something to reset the PCM or ?? Or a poor connection at the IAC plug, but not a complete disconnect as when I completely disconnected and started the car it was definatly a different issue.

WW7
01-25-2011, 8:26am
I know what happened. Sometimes connectors get corrosion on them from sitting for years without being moved, when you disconnected them and plugged them back in you made a better connection and they started working again..I have seen this happen with MAF sensors many times. As a matter of fact unpluging, cleaning, and reattaching the plugs is the first thing many mechanics do if something isn't working..This is why a scanner is the first thing to hook up when you have problems, it would have shown what sensor wasn't working and you could have checked that wire long ago....Glad you got it fixed...WW

socalman
01-25-2011, 8:41am
I know what happened. Sometimes connectors get corrosion on them from sitting for years without being moved, when you disconnected them and plugged them back in you made a better connection and they started working again..I have seen this happen with MAF sensors many times. As a matter of fact unpluging, cleaning, and reattaching the plugs is the first thing many mechanics do if something isn't working..This is why a scanner is the first thing to hook up when you have problems, it would have shown what sensor wasn't working and you could have checked that wire long ago....Glad you got it fixed...WWStrange thing is, I've unplugged these before. The Water Temp was unplugged when I rebuilt the Alternator and I know I broke the keeper tab off the IAC plug- but these were the first things I did check 2 months ago when this started. I sent you a PM regarding info on the scanners. I want to get one, just want to get the best for OBD1.

It seems that when I unplugged the Water Temp and then started the car, setting the SES- is it possible it reset something in the PCM? If the Water Temp isn't sending a signal, wouldn't my gauge not move up? Can they send a signal for the temp but send false info to the PCM?

PLRX
01-25-2011, 9:40am
dan, this is weird but, cars do that. I never had opti problems because on all Vettes I had I replace it right away.

I stick to my previous statement and if I was you I would replace it anyway.

Frizlefrak
01-25-2011, 10:11am
I know what happened. Sometimes connectors get corrosion on them from sitting for years without being moved, when you disconnected them and plugged them back in you made a better connection and they started working again..I have seen this happen with MAF sensors many times. As a matter of fact unpluging, cleaning, and reattaching the plugs is the first thing many mechanics do if something isn't working..This is why a scanner is the first thing to hook up when you have problems, it would have shown what sensor wasn't working and you could have checked that wire long ago....Glad you got it fixed...WW

This is the most logical explanation....you reseated a flaky connection. But what you've described is symptomatic of a weak spark (falling on its face under load). I honestly think the opti is sending out a distress signal. The problem will return until it's corrected for good.

socalman
01-25-2011, 10:19am
dan, this is weird but, cars do that. I never had opti problems because on all Vettes I had I replace it right away.

I stick to my previous statement and if I was you I would replace it anyway.

This is the most logical explanation....you reseated a flaky connection. But what you've described is symptomatic of a weak spark (falling on its face under load). I honestly think the opti is sending out a distress signal. The problem will return until it's corrected for good.

I plan to replace the Opti since I have it anyway. When reading the FSM, the first test I did which is the Fuel Cannister Solenoid- symptoms of a bad one would create the same symptoms I was having. It held an air test, but did let the air out without me being able to ground it out first. Guess I replace that too.

RedLS1GTO
01-25-2011, 10:26am
I can't tell you how many cars I have seen miraculously fixed by taking it apart and putting it back together exactly like it was.

...I agree that since you have the parts already, you should probably go ahead and stick them in. I can't think of anything that would piss me off worse than to be sitting on the side of the road if it went bad with the new one sitting in the garage.

Frizlefrak
01-25-2011, 11:12am
I can't think of anything that would piss me off worse than to be sitting on the side of the road if it went bad with the new one sitting in the garage.

Oh....I dunno....Obama winning a second term would have the same effect on me...... :lol:.....but yes, :iagree: That falls into the suckage category.

j-vette
01-25-2011, 11:28am
Obama winning a second term

:flush:

socalman
01-25-2011, 11:31am
I can't tell you how many cars I have seen miraculously fixed by taking it apart and putting it back together exactly like it was.

...I agree that since you have the parts already, you should probably go ahead and stick them in. I can't think of anything that would piss me off worse than to be sitting on the side of the road if it went bad with the new one sitting in the garage.

Oh....I dunno....Obama winning a second term would have the same effect on me...... :lol:.....but yes, :iagree: That falls into the suckage category.

I'm hoping that this miraculious recovery means I have no ECM problems.
I've got all new hoses, thermostat, wp, opti & knock sensors (just to get new stuff on there) so SB weekend it's on!

socalman
01-25-2011, 11:34am

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu84/socalman/Palin_on_election_night_waving640x480.jpg

Sweet 90
01-25-2011, 11:39am

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj76/Jadvad/cat-ds-1.jpg

Frizlefrak
01-25-2011, 11:51am
http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu84/socalman/Palin_on_election_night_waving640x480.jpg

Herrrreee milfy milfy milfy....:o_o:

allthrottleandsomebottle
01-25-2011, 12:33pm
FWIW: Gas has been troublesome in our area( Southern VA.) ...........full of water or to much 10% :)
Causes many misfires under all conditions........in short spurts just like an on/off switch.
I just went through this diagnosis on my 99' GMC 4.8 v-8 auto
Tech II showed cyl 1,3,5 & 7 only misfires.........I surmised based on a lack of other codes/tests and the fuel delivery/ rail design that water was caught in that side or it was a failing front O2. If it was running crappy again I was going to swap the O2s and see IF the misfires followed. 2 cans of GM fuel cleaner, new gas and 1K + miles no issues………………..crazy man crazy!

socalman
01-25-2011, 1:01pm
FWIW: Gas has been troublesome in our area( Southern VA.) ...........full of water or to much 10% :)
Causes many misfires under all conditions........in short spurts just like an on/off switch.
I just went through this diagnosis on my 99' GMC 4.8 v-8 auto
Tech II showed cyl 1,3,5 & 7 only misfires.........I surmised based on a lack of other codes/tests and the fuel delivery/ rail design that water was caught in that side or it was a failing front O2. If it was running crappy again I was going to swap the O2s and see IF the misfires followed. 2 cans of GM fuel cleaner, new gas and 1K + miles no issues………………..crazy man crazy!

Isn't there something about the Ethenol being used going to be hard on our older cars?

I sure would like to find the culprit prior to replacing Opti, just so I know what the cause & effect was.

Wathen1955
01-25-2011, 3:11pm
Isn't there something about the Ethenol being used going to be hard on our older cars?

I sure would like to find the culprit prior to replacing Opti, just so I know what the cause & effect was.
I had the same question also on Ethanol. How long can a tank of gas sit before it starts to go bad? I'm only driving my vette once a week because I'm in a car pool with 2 other gents.

socalman
01-25-2011, 3:39pm
I had the same question also on Ethanol. How long can a tank of gas sit before it starts to go bad? I'm only driving my vette once a week because I'm in a car pool with 2 other gents. couldn't remember so had to search. 89-95 fuel injectors (Multec) I guess don't do well with the Ethanol. I also read our gas is already been 10% Ethanol for a while, but moving to 15% by this summer Nationwide. Seems no other issues other than these injectors (Bosch don't have a problem).

PLRX
01-25-2011, 3:40pm
couldn't remember so had to search. 89-95 fuel injectors (Multec) I guess don't do well with the Ethanol. I also read our gas is already been 10% Ethanol for a while, but moving to 15% by this summer Nationwide. Seems no other issues other than these injectors (Bosch don't have a problem).

15% ethanol. 4 banger cars will feel that crappy gasoline. My DD feel that 10% as it is, specially going up in the mountains.

WW7
01-25-2011, 4:32pm
15% ethanol. 4 banger cars will feel that crappy gasoline. My DD feel that 10% as it is, specially going up in the mountains.

How do you think I feel , I live up in the mountains...:toetap:..WW

Sweet 90
01-25-2011, 4:48pm
How do you think I feel , I live up in the mountains and always listen to John Denver...:toetap:..WW

Fixed and sorry (sort of) Wayne:rofl:

PLRX
01-25-2011, 4:52pm
YouTube - South Park - The John Denver Experience

WW7
01-26-2011, 8:12am

And you wonder why some people kick cats...:toetap: WW

Frizlefrak
01-26-2011, 10:02am
How do you think I feel , I live up in the mountains...:toetap:..WW