PDA

View Full Version : New Members to this section

NEVRL8T
01-23-2011, 5:38pm
I wanted to welcome you all, from where ever you may have come from, to this section. I hope that I have not come off as too much of an abrasive asshole to any of you. I could never really get involved with discussions at CF because of the hostility towards novice owners and their lack of mechanical knowledge. I hope that changes here and now. I do not have much mechanical skills but I would LOVE to gain them with your help. Please be patient with me and any new members that lack what you know. Hopefully, with your knowledge and expertise, I/we can become self sufficient and won't have to fork out hard earned money on repairs that could be completed with our own hands. Thanks for your time.

Lee

Frizlefrak
01-23-2011, 5:45pm
Lee....we're here to help. Like I said in the other thread, there is nothing that can break on your C4 that one or more of us hasn't already encountered and conquered. If you need help, just ask. :cheers:

Taurus
01-23-2011, 5:56pm
I still like pie..................

RedLS1GTO
01-23-2011, 5:56pm
I think that most folks are more than willing, and very much enjoy being able to share knowledge and experience. I have learned a lot on various forums over the years and am far from an expert but if I see a question that I know something about I will gladly repay all of the times that I have been helped.

I've never really seen an issue because of a lack of mechanical knowledge but more as a result of the same questions over and over and over.

-"How do I get 400hp from my L98 for $1000"
-"Is a C4 better than a C5"
-"What oil should I use"
-"Can I fit C5 wheels on my car"
-"How much is my C4 worth"

...etc, etc, etc.

Either way, I think the folks here are all working to make this a good forum for fun as well as technical advice when things go wrong which we all know is a somewhat regular occurance with C4s.

PLRX
01-23-2011, 7:35pm
I think that most folks are more than willing, and very much enjoy being able to share knowledge and experience. I have learned a lot on various forums over the years and am far from an expert but if I see a question that I know something about I will gladly repay all of the times that I have been helped.

I've never really seen an issue because of a lack of mechanical knowledge but more as a result of the same questions over and over and over.

-"What oil should I use"

...etc, etc, etc.

Either way, I think the folks here are all working to make this a good forum for fun as well as technical advice when things go wrong which we all know is a somewhat regular occurance with C4s.

Those threads should be closed upon request. Thats was one of the biggest BS on the other side. The mods saw them and did nothing.

People wants 500 HP with $1,000

Is NOT Going To Happen

yes, nice and green

I expect some rep points.

nutz4c4
01-23-2011, 8:31pm
What the dog said.... Pete,you forgot the Great thermostat debate...:lolsmile:

socalman
01-23-2011, 8:41pm
Thanks Lee. I too am a noob at working on these cars. I can do most bolt on/off applications- brakes, suspension etc but the Computerized systems are new to me.

I'd have to say the C4 is probably the hardest to get diagnosis from, as it's OBD1 system is primitive and uninformative. Minimal codes and many times no codes will set with an obvious problem. I'm thinking C3's (with exception of 82) would have been easier systems with no computers and my C5 can tell me most anything with an FSM and a cheap scanner or read the DIC.

WW7
01-23-2011, 9:13pm
Lee sent me money, so any problems he has I will be glad to help him :D Actually if I can help anyone Im glad to .:)..WW

NEVRL8T
01-23-2011, 9:25pm

-"What oil should I use"

...etc, etc, etc.

I have to agree 100%. I hated those threads myself. Luckily, you will never see any of those threads started by me.

1) I don't have an L98
2) Who cares?
3) If you haven't figured this out by now then you shouldn't own a C4.
4) If I ever put new wheels on my car; C5 wheels won't be the ones I choose.
5) I know exactly what mine's worth - To someone else - very little. To me - priceless.

:D:lolsmile:

C4fan
01-23-2011, 9:57pm
I have limited knowledge but am always willing to help if I can.

Me too, When I first got mine I was apprehensive to do moderate jobs like a opti. Now I have my engine pulled and I'm cleaning the engine compartment and swapping parts getting ready to put the new 383 in. I would have never tried it without help. When I was going to put my headers on I was asking for advice on the other forum. The best single piece of advice I got was "stop thinking about it and just do it".

PLRX
01-23-2011, 11:53pm
What the dog said.... Pete,you forgot the Great thermostat debate...:lolsmile:

Hey you know, that a debate in the C5 & C6 sections as well. I've heard those guys bashing a lot of people. At least we know that for the LT1 engine a 160 is a great idea (summer) hands down but, the LSx engines run cooler and they have many different opinions.

Once I compared a 2004 LS1 Auto with my LT1Auto and they run 20-25 degrees cooler. The aluminum block spoke for itself.

ottawabarber
01-24-2011, 7:34am
When I first came on the other board it was to find help for the headlight bushings. Didn't know it was the bushings but learned it was and how to fix it. I have to say, I tried the search feature on the old forum, and was not able to find anything as it really never has been very good at searching keywords.... ANYWAY.... I was grateful to the many who provided me links and encouraging words as I sucessfully fixed the bastards.

I was especially pleased that even though the "headlight issues" are beaten like the dead horse, I was new to the forum, and didn't know that. The ones who stepped up and offered me REAL help are many that I see here at the barn.

I agree the usual threads get tiresome, but we were all new to these cars, and sometimes it's the "baby steps" taken that make the larger projects easier to tackle when the time comes. I am a huge reader of the threads and PLRX's rebuild project (best sticky EVER) was incredible and I thought OMG I hope I never have to see that with mine..... well as many know I had a cracked cylinder and rebuilt my L98 last winter - and BECAUSE of PLRX's detailed write up I understood the steps my friend took while tearing apart and rebuilding my engine. I was his tool bitch, not the wrencher.... but I feel more comfortable now when I am twisting a few bolts.

Bottom line to me is; YES the same-0 same-0 questions are old, but sometimes the person asking REALLY doesn't know..... (other times I think some just want to write something for the hell of it)
The "ultimate DIY thread" is great as a reference tool to any nOObs, and even to the experienced.

One final word about this is the tone. It is often "how" the questions are asked, more that "what" the questions are that gets the responses ---- good or bad. If it is asked like a smart azz, then the answers will be the same. If asked in kind honest words, I generally see legitimate solutions to the questions. JMO

Wow----- sorry for the rant, this topic just got me thinking what makes me happy here, and what pizzzed me off at CF.

C4fan
01-24-2011, 11:01am
I have to say, I tried the search feature on the old forum, and was not able to find anything as it really never has been very good at searching keywords....

This is what I have encountered, the search tool over there isn't very easy to use sometimes. The problem is, if you search far enough or hard enough you might find what your looking for. But, time is valuable so, you can search for hours and maybe find what your looking for or try to describe in detail what you need help on.

Where some go wrong is by not even giving the search a try, such as "what oil should I use".

Obviouisly the answer is in the middle. Do a search to where you're confident your problem has not been covered numerous times and post away.

socalman
01-24-2011, 11:16am
This is what I have encountered, the search tool over there isn't very easy to use sometimes. The problem is, if you search far enough or hard enough you might find what your looking for. But, time is valuable so, you can search for hours and maybe find what your looking for or try to describe in detail what you need help on.

Where some go wrong is by not even giving the search a try, such as "what oil should I use".

Obviouisly the answer is in the middle. Do a search to where you're confident your problem has not been covered numerous times and post away. Search actually works good if you filter it. Click 'Advanced Search', then Click 'Titles Only' and then click only the sections you need. You can hold the Contrl button and click C4 Gen, C4 Tech, C4 Scan and not get returned items back that don't help you. Putting in one word or " " quotations on a small phrase works well too. Like "C5 Brakes" in the C4 section you will get better returned info on the upgrade.

The main problem is, there are many threads that get started and then die on the vine without a definative answer or the OP never returns to see if what people suggested works.

C4fan
01-24-2011, 11:51am
I always thought there might be a way to use " " symbols but wasn't sure how. Good info, thanks.

RetiredSFC 97
01-24-2011, 3:19pm
I wanted to welcome you all, from where ever you may have come from, to this section. I hope that I have not come off as too much of an abrasive asshole to any of you. I could never really get involved with discussions at CF because of the hostility towards novice owners and their lack of mechanical knowledge. I hope that changes here and now. I do not have much mechanical skills but I would LOVE to gain them with your help. Please be patient with me and any new members that lack what you know. Hopefully, with your knowledge and expertise, I/we can become self sufficient and won't have to fork out hard earned money on repairs that could be completed with our own hands. Thanks for your time.

Lee

funny you say that. i just got a C5 and have started posting a little in the CF C5 section.

I have been totally ignored. I NEVER encountered that with these guys in the C4 section and I was a total noob. I guess they felt sorry for me.:D I sure did some of them:rofl:

RetiredSFC 97
01-24-2011, 3:23pm
Search actually works good if you filter it. Click 'Titles Only' and then click only the sections you need. You can hold the Contrl button and click C4 Gen, C4 Tech, C4 Scan and not get returned items back that don't help you. Putting in one word or " " quotations on a small phrase works well too. Like "C5 Brakes" in the C4 section you will get better returned info on the upgrade.

The main problem is, there are many threads that get started and then die on the vine without a definative answer or the OP never returns to see if what people suggested works.

exactly, it gets very frustrating. there are a few who come back, but very few. I have spent hours on past threads only to find out what I already knew, and that was "I don't know what to do"

The ones that take time to write up a procedure are the most helpful ones. IMO and I'm mostly right!:D

PLRX
01-24-2011, 3:27pm
funny you say that. i just got a C5 and have started posting a little in the CF C5 section.

I have been totally ignored. I NEVER encountered that with these guys in the C4 section and I was a total noob. I guess they felt sorry for me.:D I sure did some of them:rofl:

You fail to start a floor mat thread. Thats how you break the ice with the C5 and C6 people. If you want max participation start the Zaino, brake fluid and under the hood graphics thread.

If would love a punchline, it would be: Thinking about a Supercharger, which one is better?

If you want the thread to be closed: What's the Big Deal between the Z06 LS7 and Grand Sport LS3?

socalman
01-24-2011, 3:34pm
The ones that take time to write up a procedure are the most helpful ones. IMO and I'm mostly right!:D

Now that's the attitude of a RED Vette owner!! :lolsmile:

(popped your cherry- REP Power!!)

socalman
01-24-2011, 3:38pm

They're not ignoring you. It's all that gold jewelry hanging off their necks, bouncing blinding lights off the monitor and they just can't see you... or anything they read for that matter.

Why do you think everyone gets a :cheers: or :thumbs: in CF C5 Gen?

Thread Idea:

Do they make a C4 Body kit to go on the C5?

I sold my C4 for a C5, but mostly to have a newer and faster car hopefully with less headaches. The sad reality is, the C4 is way better looking than the C5 so I was hoping someone made a body kit

Taurus
01-24-2011, 3:48pm
Do they make a C4 Body kit to go on the C5?

I sold my C4 for a C5, but mostly to have a newer and faster car hopefully with less headaches. The sad reality is, the C4 is way better looking than the C5 so I was hoping someone made a body kit

I already brought that up after being ignored the C5 Gen. I think they're holding that whole Taurus thing against me still.:D

PLRX
01-24-2011, 4:03pm
I already brought that up after being ignored the C5 Gen. I think they're holding that whole Taurus thing against me still.:D

I read that one, yes you pissed some people off and I was LMAO.

RetiredSFC 97
01-24-2011, 5:30pm
there was a guy asking if anyone used a wheelskins steering wheel cover and pics.

so being semi helpful person I am:D, I said well I had one in my 90 and I'm putting one in my 99 so yes i have and here's a pic of my 90 with it on.

No reply.

Then others started coming in and giving lame suggestions. Mr bill posted up a pic of his C5 with the same dang cover I have, and then the conversation started.:confused5: He suggested to take them to a pro and have them put it on because it was hard to do and that's what he did. :rofl:

I finally told the numb nuts either get a cover or save up and buy the steering wheel if you're concerned it won't look stock.

good grief, a cover never looks stock, I don't know WTH those yahoos are thinking over there but I see a huge diconnect with them and myself.

:beat:

If they don't want my noob advice then screw em:rofl:

I love these little guys, can ya tell?

PLRX
01-24-2011, 5:41pm
The best C5 mod I've seen in 14 years

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj290/plrx/Fail/c94b6d79.jpg

Vette Jockey
01-24-2011, 5:59pm
Search actually works good if you filter it. Click 'Advanced Search', then Click 'Titles Only' and then click only the sections you need. You can hold the Contrl button and click C4 Gen, C4 Tech, C4 Scan and not get returned items back that don't help you. Putting in one word or " " quotations on a small phrase works well too. Like "C5 Brakes" in the C4 section you will get better returned info on the upgrade.

Now I find out how to do it, after it is to late :rofl: Great explanation, thanks :)

RetiredSFC 97
01-25-2011, 11:16am
The best C5 mod I've seen in 14 years

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj290/plrx/Fail/c94b6d79.jpg

:skep:

maybe if it was on the butt

Frizlefrak
01-25-2011, 11:52am
:skep:

maybe if it was on the butt

:lolsmile: :lolsmile: :lolsmile: :lolsmile:

j-vette