PDA

View Full Version : Mig welder

SQUIRMIN VERMIN 84
01-23-2011, 1:45pm
Anyone here have any experience/reviews on Chicom Harbor Freight's 90 amp, 120 volt "gasless" mig? I heard the supplied wire splatters a lot and Lincoln flux wire should be used instead. At $109, it seems worth it..Any suggestions?

Frizlefrak
01-23-2011, 2:06pm
I bought one a couple of years ago. Lots of splatters, but I attributed that to my lousy welding skills. Not a bad unit for the money.

SQUIRMIN VERMIN 84
01-23-2011, 2:07pm
Friz, was yours a Miller or Chicago gasless?

Frizlefrak
01-23-2011, 2:09pm
Friz, was yours a Miller or Chicago gasless?

Had to run out to the garage and see....Chicago. Keep in mind it has a short duty cycle, so bigger projects are gonna take longer.

SQUIRMIN VERMIN 84
01-23-2011, 2:16pm
Had to run out to the garage and see....Chicago. Keep in mind it has a short duty cycle, so bigger projects are gonna take longer.

Good point! I won't plan on building a Queen Mary or anything-just minor repairs(exhaust!), and fabbing some shop tools and stuff.

:cheers:-thanks for checking the brand, this one is Chicago too.

nutz4c4
01-23-2011, 2:23pm
The Lincoln wire is a better wire but it will splatter also. Not bad but it still will.
The wire that that comes with the Chicago is ..well,Crap :cheers:

C4fan
01-23-2011, 6:23pm
Mine splatters pretty bad to, but I always thought it was the nature of gasless or flux core, I think if you go with gas it's not too bad.

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii316/tuffLUV_photos/mini-gasless-weld.jpg

Welding without gas

Where ordinary mild steel mig welding wire needs an inert gas shield to prevent it from oxidising when melted, gasless MIG wire has a flux core which forms the shield around the weld to keep oxygen out.

It's the flux that causes all the weld spatter in the photo and the light coloured crust (slag) on top of the weld.

SQUIRMIN VERMIN 84
01-23-2011, 7:22pm
Mine splatters pretty bad to, but I always thought it was the nature of gasless or flux core, I think if you go with gas it's not too bad.

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii316/tuffLUV_photos/mini-gasless-weld.jpg

Welding without gas

Where ordinary mild steel mig welding wire needs an inert gas shield to prevent it from oxidising when melted, gasless MIG wire has a flux core which forms the shield around the weld to keep oxygen out.

It's the flux that causes all the weld spatter in the photo and the light coloured crust (slag) on top of the weld.

A picture's worth 1,000 words! Thanks! Should be fine for shop work-I have nothing planned for con cours....:D