PDA

View Full Version : I have found some cool items with my metal detector

Grey Ghost
02-16-2014, 4:15pm
but, nothing like this.

A WWII Treasure Buried in the Forest - WAR HISTORY ONLINE (http://www.warhistoryonline.com/war-articles/wwii-treasure-buried-forest.html)

99 pewtercoupe
02-16-2014, 4:20pm
One of our plants is located in Petersburg VA. When you enter the main office bldg there is a display case of all the Civil War items that have been found on the property over the years. Pretty cool

Jeff '79
02-16-2014, 4:45pm
I wonder if it's restorable. The gas tank looks perfect.

LATB
02-16-2014, 5:03pm
:cool1:

DukeAllen
02-16-2014, 5:07pm
A lot of interesting articles on there.

carlton_fritz
02-16-2014, 5:30pm
Just a little bit of Zaino...

Grey Ghost
02-16-2014, 5:38pm
One of our plants is located in Petersburg VA. When you enter the main office bldg there is a display case of all the Civil War items that have been found on the property over the years. Pretty cool

:seasix:

I visited the crater several yrs. ago.

DAB
02-16-2014, 5:44pm
new twist on 'barn find'? stuck in the mud find?

very cool.

needs a bath.

mrvette
02-16-2014, 5:46pm
Along about '80 or so, I had a Civil War Union rifle....dug up from Gettysburg.....nuff said....the barrel was bent and rusted as the flintlock works were all gone but the trigger and guard somehow survived, and even a tiny bit of the OEM finish was on the stock, along with the steel kickplate.....

LONG gone... picked it up long about '77 or so, traded it off for a huge favor....

one of a few items I wish I had back.....

:issues:

LATB
02-16-2014, 5:50pm
I'd clean it up...leave the patina, and stick in the corner of my garage.

mrvette
02-16-2014, 5:51pm
Another recollection from the mid 80's.....Anyone remember Mel Fisher, and his finally finding of the old Spanish Treasure Gallion the Atocha (sp?) well, he pulled up a LOT of money in old Spanish gold....

using one of the machines I altered a bit and repaired in our labs.....A British fellow was the company guy on site....fellow named Tony....

the thing was built of gray PVC pipe, and a custom kludge.....

:seasix:

Grey Ghost
02-16-2014, 6:17pm
Along about '80 or so, I had a Civil War Union rifle....dug up from Gettysburg.....nuff said....the barrel was bent and rusted as the flintlock works were all gone but the trigger and guard somehow survived, and even a tiny bit of the OEM finish was on the stock, along with the steel kickplate.....

LONG gone... picked it up long about '77 or so, traded it off for a huge favor....

one of a few items I wish I had back.....

:issues:

I've bought and sold a couple of them. Not, Gettysburg, pieces though. A lot of collectors desire dug pieces from the battlefield, regardless of condition. The brass parts of a gun are always like new. The steel pieces heavily pitted and rusted. Yours may have been a converted flintlock - most likely used by a Confederate. :seasix: The Gettysburg and Confed., connection would have greatly increased the value.

I'd clean it up...leave the patina, and stick in the corner of my garage.

Yep. Let the patina, etc...tell it's story vs. multi-layers of clear coat and triple chrome plating.

Another recollection from the mid 80's.....Anyone remember Mel Fisher, and his finally finding of the old Spanish Treasure Gallion the Atocha (sp?) well, he pulled up a LOT of money in old Spanish gold....

There was a store in the Orlando airport that sold his recovered items. I regret not buying some olive jars they had. Pretty inexpensive and to think about their journey was cool.

mrvette
02-16-2014, 6:43pm
I've bought and sold a couple of them. Not, Gettysburg, pieces though. A lot of collectors desire dug pieces from the battlefield, regardless of condition. The brass parts of a gun are always like new. The steel pieces heavily pitted and rusted. Yours may have been a converted flintlock - most likely used by a Confederate. :seasix: The Gettysburg and Confed., connection would have greatly increased the value.

It was a Union rifle, I forget, Springfield or Enfield....barrel was bent in two different directions.....laterally....all brown with rust but not really pitted deeply....but the stock, now that I remember....had a piece of lead slug, maybe cannon shrapnel in the cheek plate on the right upper side, it was said that the barrel was most likely bent from a tree falling on it over the decades.....I know nothing, just best description I can give......:leaving:

Kerrmudgeon
02-16-2014, 7:08pm
but, nothing like this.

A WWII Treasure Buried in the Forest - WAR HISTORY ONLINE (http://www.warhistoryonline.com/war-articles/wwii-treasure-buried-forest.html)

Cool site Jerry, thanks. :thumbs:

Bucwheat
02-16-2014, 10:31pm
I found 14 Morgan silver dollars in a rag stuffed in a jar in my backyard a few months ago,been wanting to get a metal detector and scan the yard.

Grey Ghost
02-16-2014, 10:38pm
I found 14 Morgan silver dollars in a rag stuffed in a jar in my backyard a few months ago,been wanting to get a metal detector and scan the yard.

Don't waste or throw your money away on one from Wal-Mart, Radio Shack, etc...A decent one will cost you $400. A good one $800.