PDA

View Full Version : ]New details, 911 calls come to light in Texas 'affluenza' case of teen Ethan Couch

onedef92
12-17-2013, 1:09pm
New details, 911 calls come to light in Texas 'affluenza' case of teen Ethan Couch

Saturday, December 14, 2013, 11:09 AM.

Local authorities described the June crash near Forth Worth, Texas, as one of the worst accidents they'd ever seen.

The woman on the phone to 911 was clearly distressed. It's dark, she said. There's been a terrible car crash. There are bodies in the street, bodies by the side of the road.

"There's four or five," she cried. "There's another child in the ditch! They're gone!"

More information has come to light in the gruesome "affluenza" case of 16-year-old Ethan Couch, who was sentenced to 10 years of probation after killing four people and seriously injuring others when he crashed his truck while driving drunk outside Fort Worth, Texas.

Sergio Molina, 16, was thrown from the back of Ethan Couch's truck and is now paralyzed and unable to speak.

Emergency call tapes and other evidence was released Friday, two days after Judge Jean Boyd sentenced the teen, whose attorneys claimed he was so spoiled by his rich parents he had no concept of right or wrong. The absence of any jail time in Boyd's sentence has sparked public outrage.

"I'm Ethan Couch, I'll get you out of this," the inebriated teen told one of his passengers at the scene, according to trial notes belonging to the attorney for Eric Boyles, who lost his wife and daughter in the terrible crash.

A juvenile court judge sentenced 16-year-old Ethan Couch to 10 years' probation Tuesday for the drunken-driving crash that killed four people.

Couch, driving a Ford F-350 truck belonging to his family's business, mowed down four people who were standing by the side of the road in June. Sergio Molina, 16, was thrown from the back of the pickup and is now paralyzed and unable to speak.

His family has sued the Couches for at least $20 million, money they say they need to cover the boy's medical expenses.

His brother, Alex Lemus, told the Dallas Morning News that his family was livid. “That kid killed four people and crippled my little brother and doesn’t even have to serve one year? If he were poor like us, he would’ve gotten 10 years, I bet.”

Ethan Couch's blood alcohol content was three times the legal limit for an adult when he crashed into four people tending to a broken down car on the side of the road near Forth Worth, Texas, on June 15. Two people in his truck were seriously injured.

Lemus also told CNN that medical bills have already surpassed $1 million. As for Ethan Couch's defense claim of "affluenza," Lemus said he was "outrageously angry. I can't say anything."

But Couch attorney Reagan Wynn was not at a loss for words.

If the point of the juvenile system is to rehabilitate these kids and make them productive members of society, then the judge did absolutely the right thing," Wynn said.

Read more: New details, 911 calls come to light in Texas 'affluenza' case of teen Ethan Couch* - NY Daily News (http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/new-details-emerge-affluenza-teen-trial-article-1.1547671#ixzz2nkyqo8cP)