PDA

View Full Version : Lawyer killed by carjackers after his Range Rover at upscale mall

onedef92
12-17-2013, 12:51pm
N.J. police: Lawyer killed by carjackers after his Range Rover at upscale mall

updated 10:26 PM EST, Mon December 16, 2013

(CNN) -- It was an upscale, expensive vehicle -- a 2012 silver Range Rover -- sitting unoccupied in a parking deck at an upscale, expensive New Jersey mall crowded with Sunday holiday shoppers.

Police say the luxury SUV's owners -- a 30-year-old Hoboken attorney and his wife -- returned to it after shopping, walking straight into an apparent carjack attempt.

A few seconds and a few bullets later, the young attorney lay shot in the head and dying in a shopping mall parking lot, his shocked and stunned wife likely in a panic nearby as two suspects sped from the scene in the Range Rover.

On Monday, New Jersey's legal community, friends and family were mourning the death of Dustin Friedland, who, police said, had performed one last act for his wife before the couple was accosted.

He had opened the car door for her.

And on Monday, police found that 2012 silver Range Rover parked in Newark, apparently with no obvious signs of what had happened to the two carjackers who became killers in a matter of seconds Sunday night in the parking deck of The Mall at Short Hills.

According to authorities, Friedland apparently was walking behind the vehicle after opening his wife's door and helping her get in, when he was confronted. There was a struggle, authorities believe, and shots were fired. Friedland's wife heard the struggle and had gotten out of the SUV when the two attackers got in and drove off. She was not injured.

Friedland was pronounced dead at a nearby hospital in Morristown.

A manhunt for the suspects was launched, with authorities fanning out from the mall with its 150-store roster of retailers including Cartier, Prada, Gucci and Dior in addition to Bloomingdale's and Neiman Marcus.

The Essex County, New Jersey, Sheriff's Crime Stoppers program announced a $10,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the suspects. Police described the two still-at-large suspects as being armed and dangerous, but beyond that, few details of the investigation were released.

Essex County Chief Assistant Prosecutor Thomas Fennelly would not confirm how many shots were fired during the seconds of the struggle behind the SUV, pending autopsy results

Cybercowboy
12-17-2013, 1:06pm
Video link (http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/local/new_jersey&id=9361705)

Want a description of those two guys? Good luck. This is the only article I found that even mentioned their race.

Kerrmudgeon
12-17-2013, 1:25pm
Video link (http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/local/new_jersey&id=9361705)

Want a description of those two guys? Good luck. This is the only article I found that even mentioned their race.

You mean with all the cameras on traffic and private sites they can't get one shot of these assholes? Bogus man! :mad:

Cybercowboy
12-17-2013, 1:29pm
You mean with all the cameras on traffic and private sites they can't get one shot of these assholes? Bogus man! :mad:

In another article they said "His wife got a good look at the two suspects" but then offer zero description of the two perps. Shameful.

justind
12-17-2013, 3:34pm
In another article they said "His wife got a good look at the two suspects" but then offer zero description of the two perps. Shameful.

Yes well it would be, for some reason or another, racist to say a couple derelict blacks shot a white person in the head and stole his car.

Bingo Fuel
12-17-2013, 3:36pm
Saw this on the National news last night.
At the end of her on-location report by the garage, she had some tips to 'help you stay safe'...

"Try not to walk to your car alone." - (This guy wasn't alone)
"Carry your keys in your hand. They can be used as a weapon." (Sure bring a set of car keys to a gunfight) :spdchk:

I was rendered speechless by the top level journalism I had just witnessed.

69camfrk
12-17-2013, 8:00pm
Saw this on the National news last night.
At the end of her on-location report by the garage, she had some tips to 'help you stay safe'...

"Try not to walk to your car alone." - (This guy wasn't alone)
"Carry your keys in your hand. They can be used as a weapon." (Sure bring a set of car keys to a gunfight) :spdchk:

I was rendered speechless by the top level journalism I had just witnessed.

Yeah, it was top level all right. If NJ didn't have draconian gun laws the outcome might have been different. I hope they catch them and fry them as soon as possible. Dude did not need to lose his life over that dumb shit.:sadangel:

JRD77VET
12-17-2013, 8:15pm
Yeah, it was top level all right. If NJ didn't have draconian gun laws the outcome might have been different. I hope they catch them and fry them as soon as possible. Dude did not need to lose his life over that dumb shit.:sadangel:

It's next to impossible to get a carry permit in NJ ( unless you know somebody ) and hollow point is illegal to use :yesnod:

simpleman68
12-17-2013, 10:48pm
Crazy.... Short Hills Mall is a really upscale mall in a pricey part of town.
Other than Paramus, that's the mall to shop at anywhere in Northern Jersey.

Just a simple example about how shit can get ugly no matter where you are.
Scott

Ruffy
12-17-2013, 10:59pm
NJ sucks

kylebuck
12-18-2013, 12:16am
Crazy.... Short Hills Mall is a really upscale mall in a pricey part of town.
Other than Paramus, that's the mall to shop at anywhere in Northern Jersey.

Just a simple example about how shit can get ugly no matter where you are.
Scott

well if i were a crook i sure as hell wouldnt be car jackin shitty cars in a shitty part of town...

69camfrk
12-18-2013, 6:19am
It's next to impossible to get a carry permit in NJ ( unless you know somebody ) and hollow point is illegal to use :yesnod:

And obviously, criminals respect that law....... What a total crock.

VatorMan
12-18-2013, 7:15am
Probably one of his ex-clients that he kept out of prison.

simpleman68
12-18-2013, 10:26am
well if i were a crook i sure as hell wouldnt be car jackin shitty cars in a shitty part of town...

No doubt, but you don't get a lot of hand gun action in that part of town either. :lol:

Hop on over to East Orange, Newark, Paterson (all within 15 minutes of Short Hills Mall) and it's an hourly occurrence.
Scott

VITE1
12-18-2013, 10:29am

I am sure that if NJ required Laser Etched bullets this crime never would have happened.

DropTheTop
12-18-2013, 10:53am
Criminals suck

Fixt

JRD77VET
12-21-2013, 10:02pm
4 arrested in carjacking and shooting death outside upscale N.J. mall

By Erin McClam, Staff Writer, NBC News
Four men were arrested and charged with murder in the carjacking and shooting death of a man who was leaving an upscale New Jersey mall after shopping with his wife a week and a half before Christmas, authorities said Saturday.

The target of the attack appeared to be the man’s Range Rover, said Carolyn Murray, the acting Essex County prosecutor.

“It was the car, not the persons,” she told reporters.

http://media2.s-nbcnews.com/j/MSNBC/Components/Photo/_new/131221-carjacking-supects-1125a.380;380;7;70;0.jpg
Four suspects in the fatal mall carjacking in New Jersey: Clockwise from left, Kevin Roberts, Hanif Thompson, Karif Ford and Basim Henry

Authorities identified the suspects as Hanif Thompson, Karif Ford, Basim Henry and Kevin Roberts, aged 29 to 33 and all from New Jersey, NBC New York reported. They were arrested Friday night and early Saturday.

The victim, Dustin Friedland, 30, had just left The Mall at Short Hills, about a half-hour outside New York, last Sunday night and opened the car door for his wife in the parking garage. He was shot at least once in the head while he was trying to get in on the driver’s side.

The attackers sped off in the car, a 2012 Range Rover. It was found abandoned the next morning in Newark, about 15 miles from the mall. The wife was not hurt in the attack.

The four men were charged with murder, carjacking and other crimes. Bail was set at $2 million for each. They could face life in prison if convicted, Murray said.

Friedland was a patent lawyer. He met his wife at Syracuse Law School, and they married two years ago.

4 arrested in carjacking and shooting death outside upscale N.J. mall - U.S. News (http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/12/21/21996801-4-arrested-in-carjacking-and-shooting-death-outside-upscale-nj-mall?lite)

Marc
12-21-2013, 11:09pm

They won't fry in this state. We will put them back on the street in 10 to 15 years if they don't kill a guard while locked up. Sentence may be life, but it will be 15 and out.
It took a superior court order for one man to get a ccw and the police chief only issued after the judge threatened to throw him in jail for contempt if I remember correctly. This state is friggin' insane.

Blue Demon
12-22-2013, 11:11am
Four assholes, hang 'em, we need to back to the old days of punishing criminals like this.

99 pewtercoupe
12-22-2013, 11:16am
Has anyone heard what the motive was? The car was recovered the next day. It wasnt stripped. Was this just a "thrill kill" or something else?

VITE1
12-22-2013, 11:18am
Four assholes, hang 'em, we need to back to the old days of punishing criminals like this.

:iagree:

I wonder how many of them have illegitimate children, Previous convictions and whose relatives will say "He was a good boy" or "He was just turning his life around".

It's time to get very harsh with these animals. Find them, convict them and then take them out and shoot or hang them quickly. F**k the Progressive liberal pussies that allow them to have more kids who turn out the same while out ruining America.

Fasglas
12-22-2013, 11:29am
http://www.sticktwiddlers.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/reckoning_dlc1_gallows1.jpg

Cybercowboy
12-22-2013, 11:33am
Has anyone heard what the motive was? The car was recovered the next day. It wasnt stripped. Was this just a "thrill kill" or something else?

The police quickly got in front on that very question, stating that the motive was a desire for that particular vehicle. However, if indeed that was the case, would they not already have a chop shop lined up? At any rate I'm pretty sure the motive was simply that they were looking to jack a car, the nicer the better, and here was a guy and his wife with about as many presents as they could carry.

They killed the guy when he didn't immediately hand over his keys, because his wife was in the vehicle. I'm sure they got a thrill out of it, but I don't really see this as a targeted sort of crime. It was a crime of opportunity, one they were actively looking for.

VatorMan
12-22-2013, 11:47am
Of course, this was just a crime. Not racial by any means. If it was 4 white guys capping a black guy, this would be front page news all over the world.