PDA

View Full Version : motion sickness meds.

...Whitepower...
12-17-2013, 12:22pm
Long story short, what i believe was either a virus or food poisoning kicked my ass last night. I'm feeling reasonably better now and just tried to see if i can hold some food down which so far so good.

Here's my question. I'm flying to Tampa tomorrow for work and would rather be cautious. The last time took anything for motion sickness was 15-20 years back. It was dramamine for a fishing trip.

Is that what i should be looking for at the drug store today or something else?

TIA

C5SilverBullet
12-17-2013, 12:23pm
That's what I take on cruise ships.

FasterTraffic
12-17-2013, 12:29pm
I'm not sure motion sickness meds are going to help you if you had food poisoning or a stomach virus. Dramamine is for inner ear/balance-related nausea, not what you're facing.

* I am not an MD, nor do I play one on TV.

Long story short, what i believe was either a virus or food poisoning kicked my ass last night. I'm feeling reasonably better now and just tried to see if i can hold some food down which so far so good.

Here's my question. I'm flying to Tampa tomorrow for work and would rather be cautious. The last time took anything for motion sickness was 15-20 years back. It was dramamine for a fishing trip.

Is that what i should be looking for at the drug store today or something else?

TIA

...Whitepower...
12-17-2013, 1:05pm
That sucks.. Any suggestions?

Doug28450
12-17-2013, 1:08pm
Herbs

Herbs may strengthen and tone the body's systems. As with any therapy, you should work with your health care provider before starting any treatment. You may use herbs as dried extracts (capsules, powders, teas), glycerites (glycerine extracts), or tinctures (alcohol extracts). Unless otherwise indicated, you should make teas with 1 tsp. herb per cup of hot water. Steep covered 5 - 10 minutes for leaf or flowers, and 10 - 20 minutes for roots. Drink 2 - 4 cups per day. You may use tinctures alone or in combination as noted.

Ginger (Zingiber officinale), 250 mg three times daily as needed, for symptoms of nausea. Ginger is a traditional remedy for nausea, and some studies show it may help with motion sickness. Other studies have found it doesn't work, however. Ginger may increase the risk of bleeding, especially if you also take blood-thinners such warfarin (Coumadin), clopidogrel (Plavix), or aspirin. If you have a heart condition, talk to your doctor before taking ginger.

Peppermint (Mentha piperita), 1 enteric coated tablet two to three times daily as needed. You may also make a tea from the leaf. Peppermint can interact with some medications, so ask your doctor before taking it.

Black horehound (Ballotta nigra), 1 - 2 ml as a tincture or 1 - 2 tsp. of leaves steeped as a tea, taken three times per day. This is a traditional remedy for motion sickness, but no scientific studies have been done to see if it works. Black horehound can interact with Parkinson’s medications, and may be harmful to some people with Parkinson's or schizophrenia.

Source: Motion sickness | University of Maryland Medical Center Motion sickness | University of Maryland Medical Center (http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/condition/motion-sickness#ixzz2nkzFBocP)
University of Maryland Medical Center
Follow us: @UMMC on Twitter | MedCenter on Facebook

FasterTraffic
12-17-2013, 1:12pm
That sucks.. Any suggestions?

Ginger ale, plain toast, and Tums.

C5SilverBullet
12-17-2013, 1:40pm
Marijuana.

Stangkiller
12-17-2013, 3:08pm
Marijuana.

Meth...that way you don't need to take a plane.

8Up
12-17-2013, 3:42pm
Dramamine works for me but it kind of knocks me out, If I fight it I am really groggy so if you have to drive at the end of the flight you may want to stick to sipping sprite on the plane. Peppermint helps too as someone above mentioned. Just get some candies or life savers.

DukeAllen
12-17-2013, 4:52pm
I get nausea from migraines and take an OTC med called Nauzene. The liquid seems a little stronger but they have a chewable you could take with you.
http://pics1.ds-static.com/prodimg/139620/300.jpg

Cybercowboy
12-17-2013, 4:57pm
I'd also suggest you pop a couple of Imodium AD before you board. One less thing to worry about - getting the drizzling shits.

GS Ragtop
12-17-2013, 6:34pm
I switched over to Bonine from Dramamine. Hated that drowsy feeling and everybody around me hated my grumpiness when I took Dramamine. None of that with Bonine.

...Whitepower...
12-17-2013, 6:36pm
That's for the suggestions guys. Gonna go grab something shortly.:cert:

69camfrk
12-17-2013, 6:58pm
I was gonna say Ambien, but you might get locked up in the plane like that dude that fell asleep in one the other day and they had to come let him out. Hope you feel better man.