PDA

View Full Version : Neighbor issue [Dog related]

AU Eagle
12-16-2013, 10:25am
We have welcomed a new rescue dog into our family. Lily is a 13 week old boxer mix that was abandoned at 3 days old.

As we cannot be at the house 24/7 we are attempting to kennel train her, you can't just let a puppy roam free. She is not fond of this at all and as a result she barks when we are not home. We live in a 2 unit condo as lets face it, noise travels quite uninhibited.

Last week the neighbor left is a note on the door that basically said "your dog is barking a lot lately and I cannot sleep as a result. I hope something can be done."

We are reasonable people and made sure that we leave music on while we are gone and make sure she has plenty if toys to play with while we are gone. So far it is not working.

This morning the neighbor came over and my fiancée a answered the door. It was basically the same deal as the note, he said that "the dog barked for 3 hours straight yesterday afternoon and I banged on the wall and yelled at it and it kept barking. He also went on to say that it's bad enough the other neighbor is always on his tractor and makes noise and now your dog is too."

My fiancée went through the list of ideas we have been trying to help with the issue but all he could say was "I just hope something can be done or something is going to have to change because it is affecting my personal life and work."

My question is, what can we do? She is a young puppy after all.

Also what can he do? I don't see him yelling at the neighbor on the tractor...

No pictures of the fiancée but I can offer up this for your troubles.

http://healthyceleb.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/rosie_jones_sexy.jpg

Stangkiller
12-16-2013, 10:28am
I went through this with my neighbor letting his dog come to my fence and bark like mad at all hours of the day and night.

Try a bark collar, it might seem cruel but how else can you get the point across to the puppy?

vtelvr
12-16-2013, 10:29am
When we were kennel training our pup, at night we would put a sheet over the crate to let him know it was time to sleep. Maybe trying that would be a start. I know it is during the day, but my dog gets in his bed and sleeps there all day. The downside to that is....we lost 2 sheets in this process. Small price to pay for a very well behaved dog, and one that is trusted 100% to be left out all day now. He sometimes even sleeps in the bed with us at our feet. Just a thought....

onedef92
12-16-2013, 10:36am
Nice grand consolation booby prize pic.

...Whitepower...
12-16-2013, 10:42am
Sometimes when you are looking to adopt a dog, some dogs just don't work out. The shelters/adoption agencies would prefer you be upfront with them and bring him back vs the alternative. They will work with you to find the right match. You can try the shock collar route if you don't have any reservations about the humaneness of it. I do have to say this though... You made a bad move picking up a boxer as they are high energy dogs. Being locked down in that crate is probably driving crazy and that's why he has separation anxiety. Dog's like those are really suited for homeowners with yards, etc..

I will say this though. You live in a condo. You need to address this ASAP as your affecting your neighbors quality of life. It's not like he is in a house a few hundred feet away in a subdivision. The only thing that seperates you guys are studs, sheetrock and maybe some insulation. If he's home when you are not, he may be trying to sleep as he works a night shift. Put yourself in his shoes..

Sea Six
12-16-2013, 10:51am
Bark collars are not cruel IMHO.

They have settings to adjust the level of correction. The dog will learn VERY quickly (pretty much immediately) how to avoid the correction.

You may also find that after a short time it isn't necessary for him to wear it any longer.

Chuck A
12-16-2013, 10:52am
Sometimes when you are looking to adopt a dog, some dogs just don't work out. The shelters/adoption agencies would prefer you be upfront with them and bring him back vs the alternative. They will work with you to find the right match. You can try the shock collar route if you don't have any reservations about the humaneness of it. I do have to say this though... You made a bad move picking up a boxer as they are high energy dogs. Being locked down in that crate is probably driving crazy and that's why he has separation anxiety. Dog's like those are really suited for homeowners with yards, etc..

I will say this though. You live in a condo. You need to address this ASAP as your affecting your neighbors quality of life. It's not like he is in a house a few hundred feet away in a subdivision. The only thing that seperates you guys are studs, sheetrock and maybe some insulation. If he's home when you are not, he may be trying to sleep as he works a night shift. Put yourself in his shoes..

:iagree: 100% my boxer was always barking and ready to mplay, even in a back yard these type of dogs just always need something to do, and yes annoying your neighbors is not a good thing, good luck

Mike Mercury
12-16-2013, 10:58am
No pictures of the fiancée but I can offer up this for your troubles.

http://healthyceleb.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/rosie_jones_sexy.jpg

for that, you get a :thumbs:

but for the issue; your dog, your responsibility, your effort. The neighbor seems to be nice at this point; their only effort need be reporting it you... and nothing further.

Maybe the dog is not compatile with your living arrangement; and might be best served by allowing the animal to go to a home where his barking won't be a bother to any neighbors.

...Whitepower...
12-16-2013, 11:01am
Bark collars are not cruel IMHO.

They have settings to adjust the level of correction. The dog will learn VERY quickly (pretty much immediately) how to avoid the correction.

You may also find that after a short time it isn't necessary for him to wear it any longer.

I agree.. I just know some don't feel as we do which is why i put the disclaimer in.

A friend of mine got one with a remote to correct his dog of some bad behaviors. After two months it was completely different dog. Ironically enough it's a boxer too.

Here's a pic of him from his FB page with the collar on.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1231490_10201210985414097_1303884326_n.jpg

Sea Six
12-16-2013, 11:05am
I used a bark collar with several dogs. One was allergic to the metal on the electrodes though. Caused a skin rash and irritation... had to remove it.

DropTheTop
12-16-2013, 11:08am
Boxers are a handful, and require a lot of attention and exercise. Unfortunately your heart may be bigger than the gesture of adoption. It's really not fair to the neighbor to suffer with the barking when you're not home. I'd say find a better home for the dog, and rescue some nice quite kitties. I'd absolutely LOVE to have a Jack Russell, but I know it's not fair to leave it home alone while I'm at work. I do have 4 cats that just love sleeping all day, and don't miss me at all!

...Whitepower...
12-16-2013, 11:13am
Best Dog Breeds | Compare Adult and Puppy Pictures, & Sizes (http://dog-breeds.findthebest.com/)

onedef92
12-16-2013, 11:15am
I agree.. I just know some don't feel as we do which is why i put the disclaimer in.

A friend of mine got one with a remote to correct his dog of some bad behaviors. After two months it was completely different dog. Ironically enough it's a boxer too.

Here's a pic of him from his FB page with the collar on.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1231490_10201210985414097_1303884326_n.jpg

Love those bracychephalic breeds Brother! :seasix:

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m111/onedef92/1379981_4897497654447_1090033104_n_zps843e2a30.jpg

Hoog
12-16-2013, 11:38am
I'd sit down with the neighbor and explain the dogs history and everything you're doing to remedy the problem. I'd also explain to him that banging on the wall is making the problem worse, not better.

What do you call "kennel training"?
Is the dog in a crate while you are home at all? At night?
How long is the dog alone during the day?
Can you break that time up into smaller chunks somehow?
Do you excercise the dog well before crating it up for the day?
Do you trust your neighbor to walk the dog during the middle of the day (do they sleep every day?)
Is there a doggie day care near you?

Does the dog bark when the tractor isn't running?

No offense, but there are breed specific attributes that you should be well aware of before getting a dog, not after.

FasterTraffic
12-16-2013, 11:44am
I'd sit down with the neighbor and explain the dogs history and everything you're doing to remedy the problem. I'd also explain to him that banging on the wall is making the problem worse, not better.

What do you call "kennel training"?
Is the dog in a crate while you are home at all? At night?
How long is the dog alone during the day?
Can you break that time up into smaller chunks somehow?
Do you excercise the dog well before crating it up for the day?
Do you trust your neighbor to walk the dog during the middle of the day (do they sleep every day?)
Is there a doggie day care near you?

Does the dog bark when the tractor isn't running?

No offense, but there are breed specific attributes that you should be well aware of before getting a dog, not after.

All good questions and comments. Also, you might look for a professional trainer in your area who can work with you and the dog. Also, if they do boarding, they might work with the puppy during the day. This will not be inexpensive but, if you're a condo owner with a boxer, you might consider it part of the cost of ownership.

RedLS1GTO
12-16-2013, 11:46am
I have a rescue mutt that was abandoned and had a rough early life (to say the least) that was exactly the same way... BAD separation anxiety which meant that as soon as I left, he made as much noise as possible. Luckily I was in a house so it didn't cause much trouble. Although, he did manage to destroy a few crates along the way.

I switched to 1 of the plastic crates that isn't as open as the metal ones so that it was more of a "cave" for him. A sheet over top would probably do the same thing. That helped a little. I worked and worked on his anxiety with a couple of different methods. The 1 that finally seemed to work was putting him in the crate when I was there and "acting" like I was leaving. I'd stay outside or in the garage for 5-10 minutes, come in and let him out. I slowly added 5-10 minutes at a time. He got used to it and in not much time at all realized that it didn't mean I was leaving him forever. Now, when I get ready to leave he walks in his crate and lays down... not a peep.

He still has spells where his anxiety kicks in, especially when he sees me packing a bag for a work trip. he knows I'll be gone for an extended period and freaks out a little, but overall not bad considering where he was not too long ago.

onedef92
12-16-2013, 11:48am
He still has spells where his anxiety kicks in, especially when he sees me packing a bag for a work trip.

Have you considered doggie dope (benzodiazepines)?

RedLS1GTO
12-16-2013, 11:58am
Have you considered doggie dope (benzodiazepines)?

For mine I haven't. It's not bad enough to warrant something like that. Kind of like with kids, I'm not much for trying to medicate behavior in dogs.

AU Eagle
12-16-2013, 12:10pm
I know about the boxer breed and being hyper. While I do not discount that, we also have another boxer mix in the house and other than being hyper, he does not bark excessively.

The only time he barks is when a car door shuts or there is a knock at the door.

I have a lot of opinions and suggestions to look through. I appreciate them. This dog is well mannered for a puppy and is already taking well to training with basic commands. It's just when we are out if sight that she goes ballistic.

FasterTraffic
12-16-2013, 12:30pm
I have a lot of opinions and suggestions to look through. I appreciate them. This dog is well mannered for a puppy and is already taking well to training with basic commands. It's just when we are out if sight that she goes ballistic.

Videotape yourself and play it on the TV when you leave.

wicked_c6
12-16-2013, 12:34pm
Have you looked into puppy day care. There are a few place here in Ann Arbor that offer drop off care. Its not that expensing - I think maybe $50 a week. Added benefit is they get some socializing time in with other dogs.

I can understand where your neighbor is coming from. Nothing is so grating as hearing a dog/puppy bark for hours on end. Sounds like they are trying to be reasonable...thats cool.

onedef92
12-16-2013, 12:40pm
For mine I haven't. It's not bad enough to warrant something like that. Kind of like with kids, I'm not much for trying to medicate behavior in dogs.

Me, either. But I have a former neighbor whose Jack Russell become so wiry at separation time, she had to put him on doggie dope to ease his anxiety. Eventually, she was able to leave him in the house un-crated.

...Whitepower...
12-16-2013, 12:46pm
Have you looked into puppy day care. There are a few place here in Ann Arbor that offer drop off care. Its not that expensing - I think maybe $50 a week. Added benefit is they get some socializing time in with other dogs.

I can understand where your neighbor is coming from. Nothing is so grating as hearing a dog/puppy bark for hours on end. Sounds like they are trying to be reasonable...thats cool.

You are misinformed.

A friend of mine does it 5 days a week and it's $500 a month on average ($25 a day). I can't remember if its Petsmart or Petco he uses.

onedef92
12-16-2013, 12:52pm
You are misinformed.

A friend of mine does it 5 days a week and it's $500 a month on average ($25 a day). I can't remember if its Petsmart or Petco he uses.

You can't write it off for taxes either, can you? :confused5:

FasterTraffic
12-16-2013, 12:52pm
You are misinformed.

:iagree:

A colleague of mine used a local doggy daycare and it is $30 per day. You could get a discount if you paid for 10 or 20 days at a time (instead of per day).

wicked_c6
12-16-2013, 1:04pm
You are misinformed.

Wow...that's steep...I pay $30 a day for overnight boarding when I go on vacation. It's a local place though.

I suppose this would be cheaper...

Its an inexpenisive, quick procedure done under anasthesia. Our local vet charges $150 for the procedure.

If anyone would like to read about it and educate themselves here is an article with facts....

By Charlotte McGowan
Charlotte McGowan is the author of The Shetland Sheepdog in America and is an honorary Life Member of the American Shetland Sheepdog Association. She has bred dogs for over 40 years. She has been an AKC dog show judge for over 30 years.

There is a move around the country by animal rights interests to outlaw the practice of debarking dogs. So much misinformation about this procedure abounds that it is truly time to set the record straight. As a dog breeder for over 40 years, I can tell you that debarking in the hands of a well trained veterinarian is a very useful tool for breeders and owners and it saves lives. I have had a lot of dogs debarked over the years and the usefulness of this procedure should not be ignored. I know friends who have used debarking for decades with no ill effects on the dogs.

Q: What is debarking?
A: This is a surgical procedure to reduce tissue in the vocal chords. Some vets use a punch to remove tissue. Other surgeons make cuts of varying sizes and I have heard of some using a laser. The goal of the surgery is to lower the volume of the dog's bark and the ability of the bark to carry over a wide area.

Q: Does debarking remove the dog's ability to bark?
A: No. Debarked dogs continue to bark. What debarking does is to lower the volume of the bark so that it does not carry for miles around.

Q: Is the surgery always successful?
A: Sometimes scar tissue forms and heavy barkers will become louder than when first debarked. The skill of the veterinarian is also a factor.

Q: Is this a "cruel and barbaric procedure?"
A: No. People with little or no experience raising naturally noisy and talkative breeds may tell you this. People with breeds like Shetland Sheepdogs (Shelties) can tell you that this procedure is simple and that it saves lives of dogs that might otherwise be dumped in the pound for their barking. Debarking is a more simple procedure than removing the uterus in spaying or removing testicles in neutering.

Q: Do dogs suffer emotionally from debarking?
A: It is a huge myth to suggest dogs are emotionally disturbed by debarking. Debarked dogs can bark. Even if reduced sound comes out of their mouths, they don't seem to notice at all! Debarked dogs that are not being constantly disciplined for barking, in fact, tend to be much happier dogs!

Q: Is it true that only criminals and drug dealers debark dogs?
A: This is the biggest myth about debarking! The majority of people who debark dogs are responsible dog owners at the end of their rope with dogs whose bark is so piercing that they can be heard for miles around. To be breed specific, Sheltie, Collie and other herding breed owners are the people most apt to do this. Herding breeds, by nature can be very vocal in their work. They also are joyful in their barking. They bark at squirrels, strangers, in play. They bark just to bark. Sheltie and Collie breeders are not criminals and drug dealers!

Q: Is it true you can train any dog not to bark?
A: I defy some of the so-called new wave of dog behaviorists to train a group of Shelties not to bark! Shelties in numbers larger than one love to do group barking. It is part of who they are.

Q: Isn't debarking a hazardous procedure?
A: Any procedure that requires anesthesia, whether it is a dental cleaning, spay, or debarking has intrinsic risks. The key to success is good veterinary skill in all these procedures.

Q: Do people debark just to avoid training their dogs?
A: The majority of people who debark have run out of options and are trying to be good neighbors. We are not talking about people who are irresponsible and leave their dogs out all night or ignore chronic barking. We are talking about people who understand that the piercing bark of a Sheltie, even on limited occasions, can be enough to cause a war in built up residential neighborhoods. Animal rights interests have painted debarking as a cruel quick fix when in fact it is something no owner does lightly.

Q: Is excessive barking due to bad breeding?
A: Here's another myth. Shelties kept birds of prey away from lambs on the remote Shetland Islands. They also kept livestock out of the crofters meager gardens and protected fish drying on the beach from eagles and other raptors. Barking is a useful tool for this work. It also helps let the owner know where the dog is. Unfortunately, in modern life, neighbors are not impressed when Shelties bark at birds!

Q: Anti debarking legislation is being put forth around the country as part of anti dog fighting bills. Isn't this a good idea?
A: Criminals pay not attention to laws. They are not going to license their dogs in the first place, let alone report any that may be debarked. The people impacted by anti debarking laws are responsible owners, especially people with Shelties and Collies. Animal rights interests want to outlaw any procedures they deem unnecessary. Responsible and compassionate veterinarians should understand that debarking can save lives by keeping dogs out of shelters and in homes. While some dogs, especially when they are the only dog in a home, can be trained to reduce their barking, others cannot be trained to the point where neighbors will not be annoyed.

Q: Do you debark ALL your dogs?
A: No. Some dogs are less noisy than others. I do debark the dedicated squirrel chasers because they can be extremely noisy and the squirrels are always going to be out there. I wish I could train the squirrels to move to another neighborhood but that's just about as hard as training a sheltie not to bark.
Source(s):
I know at least a DOZEN bark softened dogs, they all have their vocal chords.

Bill
12-16-2013, 1:05pm
I like the doggie daycare idea.....a lot. Just consider it the cost of unconditional love.

mrvette
12-16-2013, 1:07pm
I am not a pet person, really, never had one on my own, always the family/wife wanted them things around.....for ME, it's too much hassle and expense.....

back when I moved in here, the guy behind me had an annoying barking boxer type dawg, all day long never shut up, trapped in the back yard....I put a note in his mail box, HE gets all pissed off and turns me into the cops as some stupid law makes that illegal....what EVER, so a cop shows up and does nothing, essentially....but the barking did stop after that.....

:issues:

Kevin_73
12-16-2013, 1:13pm
Get one of these:

Amazon.com: PetSafe Anti-Bark Spray Collar, Citronella: Pet Supplies@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Wp30EZGOL.@@AMEPARAM@@41Wp30EZGOL

It sprays a little burst of citronella when the dog barks. Most dogs do not like it and they soon learn to be quiet to keep from getting sprayed.
You just have to be sure you don't leave it on all the time. I think a full charge will give you about 20-25 sprays, if you leave it on the dog for too long they will eventually learn that they can endure the spray until it runs out and then do whatever they want.

...Whitepower...
12-16-2013, 1:22pm
Wow...that's steep...I pay $30 a day for overnight boarding when I go on vacation. It's a local place though.

:iagree:

My vet used to charge me $25-30 for boarding when we were out of town. Half the time we would coincide it with checkups so it was convenient too. Best part about it is that one of the vet's there was into doing pit rescue work so they loved bully breeds and my dog was one of their favorites. One time i went there to pick her up and the staff couldn't find her. Reason why is because the vet had her hanging in her office with her while she caught up on paperwork.