PDA

View Full Version : If you're in a C6, being pursued by LAPD, raise your hand...

NEED-A-VETTE
12-14-2013, 1:23am
Which one of you mofos is being chased in South LA right now? :toetap:

More (http://ktla.com/2013/12/13/pursuit-of-silver-corvette-comes-to-violent-end-in-downtown-l-a/#axzz2nQmO9YfY)

Edit: Added link

Sea Six
12-14-2013, 1:24am
I'm in a C6, in LA, being pursued by LA County Sheriff's Office though... so it's not me.

:)

NEED-A-VETTE
12-14-2013, 1:32am
I'm in a C6, in LA, being pursued by LA County Sheriff's Office though... so it's not me.

:)

Going on over 20 minutes now. Getting into downtown. Idiot.

Edit: Idiot is referring to him, not you. :leaving:

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c343/sandyeas/Mobile%20Uploads/80BE73FB-5E0F-494A-8032-BBCF5CBAAA7A_zpsvokzqnxq.jpg

NEED-A-VETTE
12-14-2013, 1:33am
He wrecked. Olympic and Maple. :willy:

I think they shot him when he hopped out. He's down and not moving.

ConstantChange
12-14-2013, 1:41am
I think they shot him when he hopped out. He's down and not moving.

Don't start none....won't be none.

NEED-A-VETTE
12-14-2013, 1:53am
Don't start none....won't be none.

Pretty much. I'm sure it was probably stolen. He certainly wasn't driving it like he was familiar with it at all.

I was watching the news...they broke in with it. I did a double take...is that a corvette? Yep. It's is. Being chased through DTLA. :willy:

News chopper backed off pretty quick with the picture after he got out. Not sure if he was shot or not.

My contribution...

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c343/sandyeas/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps73fe89c2.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c343/sandyeas/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsf28012af.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c343/sandyeas/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps8dd5925c.jpg

It's all over. He T-boned someone pretty hard, running through an intersection. Hopefully, they're ok. :(

After he wrecked, he was still trying to et the car to move. Reversed and then forward...looked like he rammed an LAPD car.

I'm sure it was stolen.

Bucwheat
12-14-2013, 3:52am
Running from the Law seems to be popular in L.A.:lol:

ApexOversteer
12-14-2013, 3:59am
Edit: Here is KTLA's video on YouTube... wreck is at 20:30...

Pursuit of Silver Corvette Comes to Violent End in Downtown L.A. - YouTube

ApexOversteer
12-14-2013, 4:11am
Dude, might be reckless, running from the cops, but at least he was using his turn signal...

island14
12-14-2013, 5:52am
Dude, might be reckless, running from the cops, but at least he was using his turn signal...

Hate to get a ticket for that too..

Chuck A
12-14-2013, 6:03am
he defenitely looks like he was put down big time

ApexOversteer
12-14-2013, 6:38am
He's dead. LAPD still isn't saying what they shot him with.

Chuck A
12-14-2013, 6:46am

defenitely looked like they were real bullets, cause no one is going down that quickly on rubber bullets, very sad, indeed

Torqaholic
12-14-2013, 7:43am

I'd have to say odds favor a 12 ga considering how fast he stopped flopping around.

NEED-A-VETTE
12-14-2013, 7:44am

Can never be too careful.

Torqaholic
12-14-2013, 8:08am
Can never be too careful.

Yeah you can. The reason he crashed was because he wore out the brakes before he got to that intersection... And I'm still wondering why he bothered to black out his lights if he was going to ride the brakes all the way :slap:

Broken Wind
12-14-2013, 8:10am
Why did they shoot him?

ApexOversteer
12-14-2013, 8:17am
Why did they shoot him?

An interesting question, that.

One could look at the video and make the argument that he appeared unarmed and had his back to them when they shot him.

But the video was shot from a considerable distance, from an aircraft, at night, with no audio on the situation.

So...

GS Ragtop
12-14-2013, 8:20am
Here's a comment from a reader at the LA Times site: PmnaTown at 1:44 AM December 14, 2013

Wow! They should have let a dog loose on him or used non lethal force on him since he didn't get down immediately. But shooting a firearm at him? We just witnessed murder.

According to the site, the bad guy was taken to the hospital - no mention he was deceased.

DukeAllen
12-14-2013, 8:32am
:sadangel: for the wrecked C6

Cybercowboy
12-14-2013, 8:34am
Wait! LA cops shooting at an unarmed person? Unpossible! Just ask those two ladies delivering newspapers last year.

Every time I'm in SoCal one of these car chases is on TV. Hilarity ensues.

LisaJohn
12-14-2013, 8:59am
Any news on the people in the car that he hit?

ApexOversteer
12-14-2013, 9:11am
Here's a comment from a reader at the LA Times site:

According to the site, the bad guy was taken to the hospital - no mention he was deceased.

NBC LA has it.

Driver Killed in Downtown LA After Hour-Long Police Pursuit

The pursuit ended at the intersection of Los Angeles Street and Olympic Boulevard when the suspect crashed into another vehicle and an officer-involved shooting occurred.

A man who led police on a high-speed pursuit through Los Angeles for more than an hour Friday night has died after he crashed into another car and was shot by police.

The chase began before 9:30 p.m. as sheriff's deputies pursued the silver Corvette for reckless driving, officials said.

"There was great concern that he was going to hurt someone severely," LAPD Lt. Andy Neiman said.

Deputies abandoned the chase and left a helicopter over the car as it sped through surface streets in Huntington Park. Minutes later, CHP officers began pursuing the driver as it drove with it lights off through neighborhoods.

The LAPD then picked up the pursuit, adding to the multitude of squad cars chasing the Corvette, which eventually turned its headlights back on as it sped through South Los Angeles.

By 10:30 p.m., the pursuit moved into downtown Los Angeles when the Corvette slammed into another car as it drove westbound through the intersection of South Los Angeles Street and East Olympic Boulevard.

"It did look like a very violent collision, very traumatic," Neiman said.

The second car sheared a fire hydrant after it was slammed into by the Corvette. The drivers of that car ran out of the car and were later taken to the hospital with non-life-threatening injuries, police said.

The Corvette slid and stopped, and the driver stumbled out of the car.

"The suspect got out of the vehicle and at that point, something occurred that prompted the officer-involved shooting," Neiman said.

Medics could be seen appearing to try to revive the suspect by performing CPR. His body was then taken from the scene. Police have confirmed to NBC4 that the suspect has died.

Neiman said that the officers involved in the shooting still need to be interviewed, and at this time, it is still early in the investigation.

Source (http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/police-pursuit-friday-13-huntington-park-235835961.html)

ApexOversteer
12-14-2013, 9:12am

Non-life threatening injures, per NBC LA.

Torqaholic
12-14-2013, 9:13am

I wonder if he will get a ticket for speeding? Dude was hauling about twice the speed of the desperado.

...Whitepower...
12-14-2013, 10:36am
Why did they shoot him?

Exactly my question.. It's not like he was black or mexican.

NEED-A-VETTE
12-14-2013, 11:57am
Yeah you can. The reason he crashed was because he wore out the brakes before he got to that intersection...

Facetious. Look it up.

You're making it look like Michiganders lack a sense of humor. :toetap:

On a side note, someone mentioned that, if you look at the video in slow motion, the vette actually had the green at the intersection. The black car ran the red, which is strange.

NEED-A-VETTE
12-14-2013, 12:06pm
An interesting question, that.

One could look at the video and make the argument that he appeared unarmed and had his back to them when they shot him.

But the video was shot from a considerable distance, from an aircraft, at night, with no audio on the situation.

So...

Yep. :yesnod:

Not sure what led up to it or whether there was anything to lead them to believe he may be armed, etc., etc.

I'll be the first to admit that LAPD isn't perfect, but they do a good job in a city that's not easy to work in. With 10,000 officers, the number of questionable incidents is relatively low, when you think of the number of encounters they have with the public in just one day.

Then again, I don't commit crimes and then run from the police, so I have a tendency not to get shot at by the PoPo. Weird how that works.

1911fool
12-14-2013, 12:11pm
Then again, I don't commit crimes and then run from the police, so I have a tendency not to get shot at by the PoPo. Weird how that works.

Oh hell! Where is your sense of adventure?:D

Cybercowboy
12-14-2013, 12:11pm
"The suspect got out of the vehicle and at that point, something occurred that prompted the officer-involved shooting," Neiman said.

Yeah, something happened. He got out of the car. :rofl:

NEED-A-VETTE
12-14-2013, 12:17pm
Oh hell! Where is your sense of adventure?:D

Hmmmmm. Well, I do have some time to kill this morning...

NEED-A-VETTE
12-14-2013, 12:25pm
Exactly my question.. It's not like he was black or mexican.

:rofl:

Strange thing, though...

We have plenty of Mexicans, of course. However, Los Angeles doesn't have a huge black population, relatively speaking. Less than 10% in the city proper, according to wiki. Lower if you look at the entire Metro area. As opposed to almost 23% in the overall Metro Detroit area, where I grew up (suburb).

Torqaholic
12-14-2013, 12:28pm
Facetious. Look it up.

You're making it look like Michiganders lack a sense of humor. :toetap:

Naw, I figured the spirit of your comment was obvious and anyone thinking I lacked a sense of humor could only prove they lacked intelligence. You know us Michiganders :seasix:

NEED-A-VETTE
12-14-2013, 12:46pm
Naw, I figured the spirit of your comment was obvious and anyone thinking I lacked a sense of humor could only prove they lacked intelligence. You know us Michiganders :seasix:

Since I grew up there, I do.

The Michigander comment? Toungue in cheek, since I was raised there. I'm sorry that you're not recognizing non-serious, toungue-in-cheek replies. I'll add sarcasm tags or disclaimers from now on.

Does that mean you lack intelligence, assuming that your comment about intelligence and not recognizing the spirit of comments applies equally?

NEED-A-VETTE
12-14-2013, 1:14pm
NBC LA has it.

Source (http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/police-pursuit-friday-13-huntington-park-235835961.html)

Yeah. They had a sheet over him (on the street) not long after the paramedics arrived. I noticed that a lot of the news organizations cut off their replays of the videos of the pursuit/crash right after he hopped out of the car, but before he went down. I figured it was because it was actual vid of him being shot.

Anyone watching the chase, as it happened, saw the guy getting shot and go down, though. Even before they announced it was an officer-involved shooting, you could see that he rolled from his side to his stomach and then was not moving at all. Once he was down, it took the camera guy (in the chopper) a minute to realize what had transpired. As soon as it registered with him, he panned out pretty quickly.

I just happened to have the news on and looked up and thought, "Interesting. I wonder if this is someone we know, or if the car was stolen from someone we know." :willy:

Bill
12-14-2013, 1:47pm
Yep. :yesnod:

Not sure what led up to it or whether there was anything to lead them to believe he may be armed, etc., etc.

I'll be the first to admit that LAPD isn't perfect, but they do a good job in a city that's not easy to work in. With 10,000 officers, the number of questionable incidents is relatively low, when you think of the number of encounters they have with the public in just one day.

So, you are saying that you do not deliver newspapers. Got it.

Delivering Newspapers, Then Caught in a Hail of LAPD Bullets | KTLA 5 (http://ktla.com/2013/02/09/delivering-newspapers-then-caught-in-a-hail-of-lapd-bullets/#axzz2nTbV4wJ4)

NEED-A-VETTE
12-14-2013, 1:57pm
So, you are saying that you do not deliver newspapers. Got it.

Delivering Newspapers, Then Caught in a Hail of LAPD Bullets | KTLA 5 (http://ktla.com/2013/02/09/delivering-newspapers-then-caught-in-a-hail-of-lapd-bullets/#axzz2nTbV4wJ4)

That incident was terrible, but statistically, that does not prove that delivering papers will get you shot by LAPD.

You can cherry pick sh!t all day. However, those incidents, compared with the number of people they serve through contact per day without incident, shows that LAPD is a pretty damn good department.

Nice try, though. :funny:

Bill
12-14-2013, 2:09pm
Chris Rock - How not to get your ass kicked by the police! - YouTube

The Vette driver clearly did not have a white friend.

NEED-A-VETTE
12-14-2013, 2:09pm
Chris Rock - How not to get your ass kicked by the police! - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj0mtxXEGE8)

:lol:

87 Ragtop
12-15-2013, 1:43am
So do the hazzard lights just come on automatically due to the accident? I can't believe after all that he would have taken the time to turn them?

That was a crazy chase!! The video in the thread still shows the shooting..

Torqaholic
12-15-2013, 4:20am
Since I grew up there, I do.

The Michigander comment? Toungue in cheek, since I was raised there. I'm sorry that you're not recognizing non-serious, toungue-in-cheek replies. I'll add sarcasm tags or disclaimers from now on.

Does that mean you lack intelligence, assuming that your comment about intelligence and not recognizing the spirit of comments applies equally?

You can stop telling me things I already know any time you're ready :lol:

Why do you think I said "You know us Michiganders"? Somebody is definitely confused here and it ain't me :rofl:

NCC-1701
12-15-2013, 4:56am
Why did they shoot him?

Because he is an asshole for endangering police as well as civilians and pissing off the police in general...:D

NCC-1701
12-15-2013, 5:03am
THAT was a lame ending let me show you how a real pursuit ends here in MIAMI....

WSVN-TV 7NEWS Video (http://www.wsvn.com/video/player/?clipId=9618364&clipFormat=flv&topVideoCatNo=#?autoStart#?autoStart)

NEED-A-VETTE
12-15-2013, 6:53am
You can stop telling me things I already know any time you're ready :lol:

Why do you think I said "You know us Michiganders"? Somebody is definitely confused here and it ain't me :rofl:

Find someone else to argue with you for the sake of arguing. I'm sure one of the boys will be happy to accomodate you somewhere.

Craig
12-15-2013, 8:30am
...in the overall Metro Detroit area, where I grew up (suburb).

Where we're you? I did some time in Madisn Hieghts.

NEED-A-VETTE
12-15-2013, 11:28am
Where we're you? I did some time in Madisn Hieghts.

Bloomfield Hills.

Torqaholic
12-15-2013, 12:22pm
Find someone else to argue with you for the sake of arguing. I'm sure one of the boys will be happy to accomodate you somewhere.

If we're not in disagreement about anything how do you figure that's arguing? :lol:

NEED-A-VETTE
12-15-2013, 5:54pm
If we're not in disagreement about anything how do you figure that's arguing? :lol:

Fine. Whatever. We're awesome.

Let's go get a mani/pedi.

Hoog
12-15-2013, 6:21pm

Fine. Whatever. We're awesome.

Let's go get a mani/pedi.
This sounds just like my family.

(they're all from Michigan)

Sea Six
12-15-2013, 6:34pm
Joe Versus the Volcano - YouTube

...Whitepower...
12-15-2013, 7:02pm

Strange thing, though...

We have plenty of Mexicans, of course. However, Los Angeles doesn't have a huge black population, relatively speaking. Less than 10% in the city proper, according to wiki. Lower if you look at the entire Metro area. As opposed to almost 23% in the overall Metro Detroit area, where I grew up (suburb).
LAPD scared off all the minorities. They were tired of getting shot at by both the bangers and the PD

NEED-A-VETTE
12-15-2013, 7:58pm
Joe Versus the Volcano - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnLDMqPBeKQ)

I'm not arguing that with you!!!

LAPD scared off all the minorities. They were tired of getting shot at by both the bangers and the PD

Hispanics drove them out. At least that's what my friend (who lives in Inglewood) told me. :funny: She said the house next door to her is up for sale. Said she's praying for Asians. :rofl:

Craig
12-15-2013, 9:54pm
Bloomfield Hills.

So, how old were you when your first bike was stolen?

NEED-A-VETTE
12-15-2013, 10:17pm
So, how old were you when your first bike was stolen?

Not following. :confused5:

Craig
12-15-2013, 10:22pm
Not following. :confused5:

In my neighborhood, is was a Right of Passage to have your bike stolen, I was at John R and 11 Mile, you were obviously in a better part of town.

NEED-A-VETTE
12-16-2013, 2:23am
In my neighborhood, is was a Right of Passage to have your bike stolen, I was at John R and 11 Mile, you were obviously in a better part of town.

Yeah, we didn't have to worry about that too much, thankfully. :dance:

GentleBen
12-20-2013, 11:49am
LAPD officers fired 22 shots at unarmed driver after Corvette chase, review says

By Andrew Blankstein, NBC News

Three LAPD officers have been temporarily relieved of patrol duty after a departmental review found they fired 22 shots and killed the unarmed driver of a Corvette after he led them on a high-speed chase Friday night.

“After hearing the preliminary briefing, I am very concerned about the circumstances that led up to and resulted in this Officer Involved Shooting,” said LAPD Chief Charlie Beck. “Because of those concerns I have directed that the three involved officers be assigned home pending the final results of the investigation. Determinations regarding training or possible disciplining of the involved officers will be made at that time.”

The crash and the shooting were captured by local TV helicopters that had been following the Corvette during an hour-long chase through crowded city streets. Police opened fire at Brian Newt Beaird, 51, after he slammed his silver sports car into a Nissan at a downtown L.A. intersection, drove the vehicle onto the curb and hit a tree, and then got out and tried to walk away from the vehicle. Beaird was pronounced dead at a local hospital from multiple gunshot wounds. “No weapon was recovered” at the accident scene, said Chief Beck.

The LAPD did not immediately say how many shots hit Beaird, or offer an explanation for why deadly force was employed. Chief Beck made his decision to send the officers home, with pay, after the results of an initial review known as a “72-hour briefing.” Criminal and administrative investigations are continuing and could take months to complete.
The incident raised questions about the decision by LAPD officers and their supervisors to pick up the chase, their tactics and communications at the end of the pursuit, and the decision by officers to employ deadly force.

Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department deputies began the chase southeast of Los Angeles in the City of Cudahy. The chase, which took place mostly on surface streets, sometimes at high speeds, was picked up at one point by the California Highway Patrol. CHP later stopped pursuing the car.

Officers with the LAPD’s Newton Division took over the chase when it reached city limits just after 10 p.m. The LAPD’s involvement in the pursuit lasted about seven minutes before Beaird plowed into the Nissan at the intersection of Olympic Boulevard and Los Angeles Street. After impact, the Nissan slammed into a fire hydrant. One of the two occupants of the vehicle was seriously injured. No officers were injured in the incident.

Video footage showed that the Corvette ran up on the curb and appeared to hit a light standard and a tree. Beaird tried without success to drive away in the vehicle. He then walked around back and to the passenger’s side when he was hit by the barrage of gunfire.

Earlier this week, Chief Beck told the Los Angeles Police Commission there were 43 officer-involved shootings thus far in 2013 compared with 36 for the same period last year. But he also noted that the number was in line with the department’s five-year average and below the total of 58 officer-involved shootings registered in 2011.
<=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=>
Looking at the video tape I cannot understand (a) why the officers decided that deadly force was warranted, and (b) why they took 22 rounds to put him down.

ApexOversteer
12-20-2013, 12:08pm
Yup.

Had a feeling this was coming.

...Whitepower...
12-20-2013, 12:53pm
Yup.

Had a feeling this was coming.

What's sad is if it didn't play out on national TV it probably would have been a "good shoot.":spdchk:

Norm
12-20-2013, 5:16pm
You knew this was coming. A couple John Wayne types may be doing some serious time.

Family of unarmed man shot dead by LAPD wants $20 million - Investigations (http://investigations.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/12/20/21956357-family-of-unarmed-man-shot-dead-by-lapd-wants-20-million?lite)

Craig
12-20-2013, 5:57pm
Sorry, but he was fully in control, and capable of not getting himself shot to death. His choice; his consequences.

NeedSpeed
12-20-2013, 6:19pm
How come when officers get investigated they are rewarded with paid vacation?

ApexOversteer
12-20-2013, 6:47pm
How come when officers get investigated they are rewarded with paid vacation?

Innocent Until Proven Guilty + Union Contracts = Paid Leave While under Investigation

NeedSpeed
12-20-2013, 7:06pm
Innocent Until Proven Guilty + Union Contracts = Paid Leave While under Investigation

They should at least make their asses do paper work or something.