PDA

View Full Version : The ‘60s Best Film Chases...

lspencer534
12-12-2013, 7:36pm
The Great Escape
The coolest action sequence of this iconic 1963 film happens when WWII POW “Cooler King” Hilts (played by Steve McQueen) tries to evade his Nazi captors on a German military motorcycle. Making a bid for the Swiss border, he leaps the bike over a six-foot barbed-wire fence — pretty spectacular stuff back in the day. The motorcycle was actually a Triumph TR-6 Trophy 650CC made to look like a German-made BMW. Although McQueen was a skilled rider, driver and racer, the studio insisted using a stuntman named Bud Ekins who also doubled for McQueen behind the wheel of the Mustang GT in Bullitt five years later.
Steve McQueen Motorcycle Jump in The Great Escape - YouTube

Goldfinger
The third film in the James Bond series introduced a new car for 007 — an Aston Martin DB5 tricked out with all sorts of super cool secret agent gadgetry. In the most memorable chase sequence from this 1964 film, Bond uses everything from smokescreens to the car’s iconic ejection seat to elude Goldfinger’s henchmen who, it should be noted, are all driving 1956 model Mercedes-Benz 220s.
Goldfinger Car Chase - YouTube

Bullitt
No computer-generated imagery here and 45 years later the movie still stands up. This 10-minute sequence filmed in 1968 with hand-held cameras on the hilly streets of San Francisco is today known as “the granddaddy of all car chases.” In it, police lieutenant Frank Bullitt (Steve McQueen) drives a Highland Green, 1968 four-speed Ford Mustang Fastback GT; the bad guys, a 1968 four-speed Dodge Charger 440 R/T.
Bullitt - Steve McQueen Famous Car Chase - YouTube

The Italian Job
The original 1969 film that made the Mini Cooper even more iconic that it already was,The Italian Job is one of the best motoring films of all time. In the movie’s climatic car chase, three little Cooper S’s (painted red, white and blue and loaded with 4 million in Chinese gold) navigate the crowded streets of Turin, Italy. Up and down steps and through sewer pipes, the gang led by mobster Charlie Croker (played by Michael Caine) even does a lap around Fiat’s famous Lingotto factory rooftop test track.
Mini-Cooper Chase - The Italian Job (6/10) Movie CLIP (1969) HD - YouTube

Upstate
12-12-2013, 7:45pm
The epitome of cool...

http://www.biography.com/imported/images/Biography/Images/Profiles/M/Steve-Mcqueen-9394602-2-402.jpg

Fasglas
12-13-2013, 12:04am
A few others:

The Seven Ups

French Connection

Duel

Vanishing Point

Honorable mention Blues Brothers, (original)

Norm
12-13-2013, 12:21am
I've seen all four several times, with each viewing just seems more enjoyable.

While seeing Bullitt when it first came out, sitting in the theater, I become nauseas while watching the chase scene. When we visited SF last May, I stepped out of the GS to get a picture on one of the hilly streets, I lost my equilibrium for a second or two and became nauseas.

Never been car sick, been on ships, underway on damn near every kind of vessel under 110', in all weather, never got seasick. Flew around the world, never got airsick...........must be something about SF, I don't know........

http://s30.postimg.org/w891aw9pt/WP_20130514_050.jpg

courtesy postimage.org

ApexOversteer
12-13-2013, 12:53am
A few others:

The Seven Ups

French Connection

Duel

Vanishing Point

Honorable mention Blues Brothers, (original)

Great chases... but none of them are in the 60's...

Nor is the single greatest car chase of all time, the 40+ minute third act of Gone In 60 Seconds (1974)...

Action starts at 54:08...

Gone In 60 Seconds (1974) Full Movie English SD - YouTube