PDA

View Full Version : It could have been MUCH worse

WKMCD
12-07-2013, 3:22pm
My good friend Brandon - The Dingo - on CF gave me a ride down to Va Speed to pick up the Cruiser. Tons of traffic on the way home. We stopped in Fredericksburg to gas up and it had just started lightly raining. Coming back onto 95N I had just moved over from the merge lane and doing maybe 50, the car suddenly made a hard left turn traveling at a 90 degree angle across an empty lane. The last thing I remember was a windshield full of tractor trailer wheels and thinking that this was the end and I was going to get run over by an 18 wheeler. I hit the rear tractor wheels dead on. Loud noise, the airbags went off and I spun around but still managed to beat the airbag out of the way and steer the car to the shoulder. Either something broke or I hit an oily patch. A couple behind me pulled over to make sure I was OK and told the LEO that I was not speeding or doing anything froggy and that the car just turned left. I called Brandon right away and he came back to help.

The Tiger Shark nose is gone and the MCM hood also. Even if it can be fixed - doubtful - those parts are no longer available. Front fenders also gone. The front cross piece is toast along with the radiator and who knows what else.

It had just started drizzling and I think the rain lifted oil out of the asphalt and may have even pooled. That makes the most sense to me at this time.

Oh well, it's just a thing and after thinking that semi was going to part my hair differently, I'm actually pretty cool to it all. Some abrasions on my arms and chest and my upper back and neck are tightening up. Nothing major here.

I'll know more early next week but it certainly looks totaled.

Norm
12-07-2013, 4:28pm
Sorry to hear, glad you're not that banged up, close one, could have been your last ride. Someone was looking out for you.

wwomanC6
12-07-2013, 8:49pm
That sucks! Sliding under a 18 wheeler is bad!

The important part is your ok! Glad to hear that! :hurray:

WKMCD
12-09-2013, 11:44am
I just ran down to look at the car in the gray light of day we have here today. The wheels look fine. The bulk of the damage was absorbed by the front cross piece of the frame. I had laid down the radiator and it didn't get pushed back into the engine which also looks OK. The left and right frame rails look straight. The custom radiator cradle is pretzeled on right side.

Here are a couple pics. I think it's 50/50 whether they will want to total it.

vettecrash1.jpg Photo by WKMCD | Photobucket

vettecrash2.jpg Photo by WKMCD | Photobucket

Not sure why the pics are only showing a link.

Norm
12-09-2013, 11:49am
Looks bad, but looks fixable. Good luck with the insurance company.

wwomanC6
12-09-2013, 11:55am
Ouch!! :ohnoes:

:sadangel:

WKMCD
12-09-2013, 12:41pm
Looks bad, but looks fixable. Good luck with the insurance company.

I'm thinking 50/50. The frame rails appear to be straight. I have told the towing company not to release the car to Nationwide until I am done "talking" with them.

DropTheTop
12-09-2013, 12:47pm
Wow man, glad you're ok!

Damn, that was one of my favorite Vettes on these forums. :(

WKMCD
12-09-2013, 3:03pm
Wow man, glad you're ok!

Damn, that was one of my favorite Vettes on these forums. :(

Mine too

Sneaks
12-12-2013, 12:21am
Damn Kevin! Glad you are OK man. I sure hope the Cruiser isn't totaled. If it is, buy it back from the insurance company. There is WAYYYY money in it than they will ever give you for it.
And I got first dibs on the coilovers this time! :D

Sneaks
12-12-2013, 12:21am
Damn Kevin! Glad you are OK man. I sure hope the Cruiser isn't totaled. If it is, buy it back from the insurance company. There is WAYYYY money in it than they will ever give you for it.
And I got first dibs on the coilovers this time! :D

WKMCD
12-14-2013, 10:03am
It's been totaled. I've collected an embarrassing amount of receipts for most of the major mods over the years. Brian - Cobra4B - used to be an adjuster for Geico - I believe - and says they may pay $.30-$.40 on the dollar for the mods. That will very easily double the settlement $$$. Fingers crossed on that. The I have to figure out how much they will want if I salvage the car. Even discounted, I can come up with $25k worth of stuff to sell from the car.

I will be ordering a C7 next week. It will be a Night Race Blue coupe with 3LT and Z51. Interior will be the Kalahari setup. It will also have yellow calipers, Bi-mode exhaust. I'm even thinking the A6 since this car will be left a driver and my right knee isn't getting much better.

wwomanC6
12-14-2013, 1:57pm
I'm waiting and dying to see a Night Race Blue C7. So please post up pics of it once you receive it Kevin! :seasix:

allthrottleandsomebottle
12-14-2013, 2:47pm
Sorry to see this Kevin, glad your mostly ok
The A6 would be good after a tune
If you buy it back, I may need some parts........
Last year, I bought my 99' gmc back for a 1/5 of the settlement ...
G/L

WKMCD
12-21-2013, 8:50am
I am keeping the car and it was towed to Rick Kim's - RKTPerformance - in Frederick. We'll be working together on parting it out.

73sbVert
12-21-2013, 10:26am
I love those valve covers and fuel rails!

They are pretty, would go well on a Monterey Red 'vert I think...

;)

Sneaks
12-21-2013, 3:49pm
Working together my ass. Ricks shop in only a half hour from me. I'm raiding that bitch tonight! :D