PDA

View Full Version : When did you fall in love with a C4?

RedLS1GTO
01-18-2011, 10:23am
Let's face it... none of us own C4s because they are the fastest, most prestigious, most valuable, most comfortable, or to be brutally honest... the most anything. We own them because somewhere along the way we fell in love with them and decided that we had to have one. A C4 isn't a car that you own "just because" so... what's your story?

From the time I was born I had pretty much always loved cars and was destined to be a gearhead. I practically grew up at Indy Motor Speedway.

In 1988 (I was 7) my dad and I ventured away from the oval and went to our first road course race at Mid Ohio. The first time that I ever got to watch a full bodied car on a road course was the Corvette Challenge race before all of the "main events". That was the beginning of a very expensive addiction.

...and why my track car has the decals on it that it does. If you look closely, the decals (for the most part) on my car today are the required logos for the 1988 Challenge Series, most of the companies aren't even in business any more. I didn't for one second put them on there as a copy, but more as a tribute to the cars that made me fall in love with road course racing. My goal when I got into racing myself was to turn at least 1 lap in a Corvette at Mid Ohio. I plan on accomplishing that this year.

OK... enough with the sentimental crap. It's your turn mofos.

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p90/botch1980/Race%20Car/VIR%20TrackDaze%202010/IMG_3997.jpg

Sweet 90
01-18-2011, 10:27am
Let's face it... none of us own C4s because they are the fastest, most prestigious, most valuable, most comfortable, or to be brutally honest... the most anything.

They're not, WTF!!:leaving::D
I bought mine cause chicks dig them:D

RedLS1GTO
01-18-2011, 10:30am

True dat kittah. Chicks dig the longball... errrr... I mean the C4.

Sweet 90
01-18-2011, 10:51am
True dat kittah. Chicks dig the longball... errrr... I mean the C4.

:rofl:
To be honest the C4 was the last gen that reminds me of the Corvettes that I grew up with, mainly rough, noisy and ill mannered.:D I have driven my BILs C6, and it will out perform my C4 in every way imaginable, but there just seemed to be something missing. I will get a C6 or maybe a C7 one day, but I will keep the '90 for a long time yet:cheers:

mike100
01-18-2011, 11:06am
The C4 was, actually, for all practical purposes, the fastest car you could buy in 1990 and my first ever corvette I ever drove was a 91 ZR-1: brand spankin' new at the time.

My dad would let me drive it, but he said if something happened to it, don't come home- he meant it too. He sold it for $35k or something like that- still out of my price range at the time. My street-strip 69 Camaro was actually faster in a drag race so I wasn't overly in awe of the power- just the civility of the total package.

Taurus
01-18-2011, 11:21am
I fell in love with it that day when I was three years old and my Dad let me pick it out. I looked over the lot and pointed to one and said "I want the gold one"............. oh wait, that wasn't me.

I fell in love with it the day my Dad bought it and showed me the brochure the previous owner had that said it was a one of a kind L88 equipped gold 1987 Corvette, I thought.................... oh wait, that wasn't me either.

I just wanted one, it was a vette and the next step up from my C3s.

RedLS1GTO
01-18-2011, 11:38am
I fell in love with it that day when I was three years old and my Dad let me pick it out. I looked over the lot and pointed to one and said "I want the gold one"............. oh wait, that wasn't me.

I fell in love with it the day my Dad bought it and showed me the brochure the previous owner had that said it was a one of a kind L88 equipped gold 1987 Corvette, I thought.................... oh wait, that wasn't me either.

:leaving:

Sweet 90
01-18-2011, 11:39am

I just wanted one, it was a vette and the next step up from my C3s.

Classic Jon:rofl:

C4fan
01-18-2011, 12:00pm
I fell in love with mine when I realized I could actually buy it. Before then it was just a hint of a dream. It was like being a virgin. I knew chicks were out there and I would love to have one, but it wasn't until one of them actually fell for that BS line that I got one and fell in love.

OK, here is the unedited version:

I knew chicks were out there and I would love to have one, but it wasn't until I could actually afford one that I got off and fell in love.

RetiredSFC 97
01-18-2011, 12:20pm
the first vette I recall seeing was a split window sitting on a lot in Garnett, Ks. I would stop everyday, on my way home from school and look at it along with a 69 Roadrunner that was on the lot.

I always said I would have one of those one day, not necessarily a split window but a vette or a RoadRunner.

i got my RoadRunner and due to some BS Military issues I was forced to make a decision and left it in Germany, sold it for 500 bucks.:toetap:

Then life didn't allow me to have a vette for years, again because choices had to made.

So there came a time that I made a decision to forgoe responsibility, as I was sick of it, and started looking for a Harley. Wife said she wouldn't get on it so I said OK, let's look at vettes.

Wanted a C3 but when I discovered I could have a C4 I was hooked. I like them. They were the fastest thing on the road in their day and had plenty of power for me. During this time I also fell for the FRC and Z06. So now I leave my C4 behind and go to the FRC.

But the C4 will always be special to me. My first vette and even to this day, they can hold their own with 75% of what's on the road. Amazing!

Frizlefrak
01-18-2011, 12:30pm

Like this one, for example?

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm228/stem50/SexyCat.jpg

To be honest the C4 was the last gen that reminds me of the Corvettes that I grew up with, mainly rough, noisy and ill mannered.

Yeah....that about sums it up. I was blown away by the 84 when it was new, but I was a broke college kid and it was waaaay out of reach. Then a buddy in college got one new (spoiled kid) and I drove my first C4. I knew someday.....

My buddy totaled it 6 months later. I could have killed him. :toetap:

C4Fanatic
01-18-2011, 12:34pm
When the dealer dropped the top and told me to "take her for a spin".
Just a block or so up the road from the lot I was hooked.

Had always wanted a C3, but when I found a convertible and it was in my price range, I was sold.
Thought I wanted to move up to a C5, looked at a few, drove a Z06, but when I found the ZR-1 I knew I had to stay with a 4th gen.

Sweet 90
01-18-2011, 12:36pm
Like this one, for example?

I said chicks, not puzzy,...............oh wait???:o_o:

NEVRL8T
01-18-2011, 12:36pm
I turned 16 in 1985. From the time I turned 16 I worked in a grocery store and a lady working there had a silver '84. I fell in love with the car then. I couldn't afford one so over the next twenty years I bought Mustang GT's, a Mustang 5.0 LX, a Firebird Formula, and a few clunkers. I had a heart attack at the age of 36 in 2005. It changed my whole perspective on life and I thought, "Hell, you only live once" and I bought my '92. Several thousand dollars later and a few thousand dollars to go, I still love the car.

drmrman
01-18-2011, 6:15pm
I was always told that a "corvette" was a "10 foot dick exstension".... No one said which corvette though...!

Blue 92
01-18-2011, 6:38pm
After being vetteless for a fair # of years my wife decided to replace my long gone 71 as a birthday present.

With C5s out for only two years there was no way I'd spend the $$ for a weekend good time car so after driving 5 or 6 C4s I took the 92 home.

:drivingskid:

Blue 92
01-18-2011, 6:43pm
In 1988 (I was 7) my dad and I ventured away from the oval and went to our first road course race at Mid Ohio. The first time that I ever got to watch a full bodied car on a road course was the Corvette Challenge race before all of the "main events". That was the beginning of a very expensive addiction.

I believe NASA runs at Mid Ohio in August. Some of the SE region guys come up from TN so I usually try to go up and watch them run. :cheers:

YorkL8apex
01-18-2011, 7:15pm
Actually the C4 was my least favorite Vette when I was looking for rmy first Vette. I really loved the C2 and bought one, cool, you betcha but I got the e Autocross bug and C4's were the bomb back then.

A couple of friends had ZR-1's and I finally found one too. Lots of Vettes have cycled through my garage but the C4 Z is here to stay. I like "wearing" it vs sitting in the newer Vettes but don't get me wrong, a C5 or 6 Z anything would be nice in addition to the C4-Z:o_o:

RedLS1GTO
01-18-2011, 7:15pm
I believe NASA runs at Mid Ohio in August.

That's the date I have penciled in to get up there. Mid Ohio doesn't seem to have many opportunities to run and unfortunately for the last couple of years Uncle Sam has not let my schedule line up... fingers crossed for this one.

PLRX
01-18-2011, 7:31pm