PDA

View Full Version : We're gonna need a bigger batch...Candied Walnuts Recipe

NEED-A-VETTE
11-17-2013, 11:53am
Made these to top a salad, with blue cheese and homemade raspberry vinaigrette. Everyone was grabbing them up and eating them as is...I should've made a second batch. :funny:

Candied walnuts recipe

Ingredients:
1/3 cup dark-brown sugar
2/3 cup white granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
Generous pinch of cayenne pepper (more if you want them spicier)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 pound walnut halves (pecans and hazelnuts also can be used)
1 egg white, room temperature
1 tablespoon water

Directions:
Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
Mix sugars, salt, cayenne, and cinnamon, making sure there are no lumps; set aside.
Beat egg white and water until frothy but not stiff. Add walnuts, and stir to coat evenly.
Sprinkle nuts with sugar mixture, and toss until evenly coated.
Spread sugared nuts in a single layer on a cookie sheet fitted with parchment paper.
Bake for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Remove from oven, and separate nuts as they cool.
When completely cool, pour the nuts into a bowl, breaking up any that stick together.
Use over salads or eat as is.

These go well over salad with the grilled watermelon (http://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/whats-cooking/59218-youll-like-grilled-watermelon-slices-honey-lime-syrup.html#post1071593), topped with raspberry vinaigrette (http://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/whats-cooking/59219-raspberry-vinaigrette-grilled-watermelon-candied-walnut-salad.html#post1071597) and blue cheese crumbles.

MrPeabody
11-17-2013, 4:18pm
Does it make any difference if the walnuts are fresh or roasted? I have plenty of fresh ones from the neighbors trees, but I wonder if I should roast them first.

NEED-A-VETTE
11-18-2013, 7:56pm
Does it make any difference if the walnuts are fresh or roasted? I have plenty of fresh ones from the neighbors trees, but I wonder if I should roast them first.

I'm not sure. :nonod:

MrPeabody
11-18-2013, 11:07pm
I'm not sure. :nonod:

Okay, I'll just use them fresh when I make them and I'll let you know how it turns out.:seasix:

NEED-A-VETTE
11-18-2013, 11:18pm
Okay, I'll just use them fresh when I make them and I'll let you know how it turns out.:seasix:

Cool. :cheers:

I've only used the store bought. From the bag. :funny:

Should be tasty starting with fresh, though.