PDA

View Full Version : AmTrak

VatorMan
11-10-2013, 7:59am
I'm pretty impressed with the whole experience. Trains haul ass, free wifi and a booze car to boot. Price to NYC and back were cheaper than flying. The seats in economy rival business class on a plane. Can't say I'd want to do this across country, but it's an option on the table for any NE corridor travel from now on.

Extra plus- NO TSA.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y21/vatorman/null_zpse2d013f8.png

GS Ragtop
11-10-2013, 9:59am
What app is that?

Parkrat
11-10-2013, 10:23am
I wish there were more train options in the US. I had to take the ICE train from Frankfurt to Amsterdam and it was great. Looked at taking a train from DFW to Vegas and I think it would take like 2 weeks. :lol:

Thunder22
11-10-2013, 10:33am
Amtrak within the NE is great. I take it between NY and Boston frequently and it's significantly more convenient and less expensive.

Cybercowboy
11-10-2013, 10:56am
What app is that?

You are not allowed to know that! :issues:

Whatever it is, I'm certain it taint free.

Cybercowboy
11-10-2013, 10:59am
I took AmTrak from Boston to Westerly Rhode Island (where my brother and sister used to live) back in the late 80's. When they dropped us off in Westerly, that had to be the most decrepit train station there is. A little platform, a broken hand rail, the stairs down from the platform were broken so you had to kinda climb down. And nothing at all except a few industrial-type buildings around. Essentially a mugger's paradise. Fortunately my sister pulled up a few minutes after we got there, I was getting nervous.

VatorMan
11-10-2013, 11:23am
What app is that?
Harry's Laptimer. Works on planes too ! Of course they are doing rail maintenance on the Metro in DC- cost us $40 taxi ride home. :kick:

99 pewtercoupe
11-10-2013, 11:29am
Amtrak within the NE is great. I take it between NY and Boston frequently and it's significantly more convenient and less expensive.

In the NE corridor, Amtrak operates on its own track (runs on freight lines elsewhere).

Woody
11-10-2013, 11:33am
I love train travel. Working in France was great. High speed train from Paris to Lille, then a slow train up to Dunkirque. runs 180 mph or so. The rail line ran next to the freeway in a few spot. Traffic looked liked it was in slow motion.

I'd love to take a month and ride trains all over Europe. :seasix:

C5SilverBullet
11-11-2013, 11:35am
I did my best to try to ride the Empire Builder from Chicago to Seattle before I moved to Texas, but I just couldn't work out the schedule. I was going to get the private room for the long trip.

Empire Builder Train - Chicago - Big Sky Country - Pacific Northwest | Amtrak (http://www.amtrak.com/empire-builder-train)