PDA

View Full Version : 95 Pace car vert- cool or not?

mike100
01-16-2011, 9:25pm
So I was at starbucks getting an ice tea (because it's pretty warm here) and this guy rolls up in a really clean 95 pace car. I gave him a compliment and told him I was looking for another C4, but nicer than the one I used to have and he tells me he has been thinking about selling it.

1) It's super clean
2) I still have a set of 95 FSM manuals
3) I've had a purple C4 so I'm already ok with that.
4) initial asking price seems to be in the ballpark and is a lot cheaper than other C4's I have been interested in.

The real question I have is:

Are automatics sporty enough? I know it's a vert, but still, asking people who have had both, is it something I will hate after I get one.

I might point out I have a C6 with an LS3 so I got the track day thing covered.

Taurus
01-16-2011, 9:28pm
So I was at starbucks getting an ice tea (because it's pretty warm here) and this guy rolls up in a really clean 95 pace car. I gave him a compliment and told him I was looking for another C4, but nicer than the one I used to have and he tells me he has been thinking about selling it.

1) It's super clean
2) I still have a set of 95 FSM manuals
3) I've had a purple C4 so I'm already ok with that.
4) initial asking price seems to be in the ballpark and is a lot cheaper than other C4's I have been interested in.

The real question I have is:

Are automatics sporty enough? I know it's a vert, but still, asking people who have had both, is it something I will hate after I get one.

I might point out I have a C6 with an LS3 so I got the track day thing covered.

I do like them, they really stand out. My 93 had an automatic and it was good by me. I would buy one if the price was right.

RedLS1GTO
01-17-2011, 2:03am
I'm not a fan of automatic Vettes but I have wanted a 95 pace car since the first time I saw one.

I was driving with my dad to dinner and saw a car hauler 18 wheeler with an entire load of the "real" ones on it's way to Indy for the race.

IMO those are among the small group of C4s that will undoubtedly become very sought after.

If you don't want it... I might just take it off of his hands!

:cheers:

mike100
01-17-2011, 4:18pm
So I love the graphics and two-tone color scheme, but I want to ditch the pace car text on the door. Problem is the 95 graphics kit is insanely expensive- like 2 grand. I'm trying to figure out if you can just get the lettering separately.

I guess I'm thinking about calling the guy tomorrow.

PLRX
01-17-2011, 4:55pm
Mike, in my book that car is a hit or miss. I've never like it, not even when it was new but, if you like the color combo and if it is a good deal go for it!!

The advantage is that you already know how to work on a 95 LT1 engine. My 92 Vert rattled but, the few times I dropped the top it was fun.

Frizlefrak
01-17-2011, 5:31pm
The Pace Car is not my cup of dogwater, but I can see where some would like it. As for the auto vs standard question, all a matter of preference. Get stuck in bumper to bumper traffic a few times and the auto starts to reign supreme. I can't imagine owning a standard.....getting lazy in my old age and hate shifting.

I drove my 5 speed Fiero last weekend....it was fun the first 20 minutes, and I was thoroughly sick of it by the time I got home.

DropTheTop
01-17-2011, 7:46pm
This what you're talking about?

http://www.corvetteblogger.com/images/content/042208_3.jpg

Personally, I've always thought of getting one of these beauties:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b4/1986_Corvette_pace_car.jpg

Probably the only car I'd ever consider in yellow.

Frizlefrak
01-17-2011, 8:17pm
Personally, I've always thought of getting one of these beauties:

Probably the only car I'd ever consider in yellow.

It's nice....but allow me to be the first. The front wheel is on backwards. :)

socalman
01-17-2011, 8:37pm
I've always liked those cars. Love to add to my collection someday.

mike100
01-17-2011, 9:30pm
yeah, it's the purple and white one...looks just as good too. Really I'm interested in it just because of the condition- not because it is the exact combination I have been looking for.

I'll have to decide to pick it up or just hold on and see if I'm gonna do a $20k car. Once you get into ZR-1 pricing though, there's a lot of other cars I start thinking about and some of you wouldn't like them I'm sure.

I've always wanted a 99 Porsche 911 water-cooled...

PLRX
01-17-2011, 10:01pm

The strongest reason I own C4 Corvettes is that SOB right there. I saw a yellow Vert in 1986, it was brand new and I followed it for miles, I was just admiring it over and over again.

...I wanna cry, good memories http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee166/benzo_013/ThumbsUp.gif

DropTheTop
01-18-2011, 9:20am
The strongest reason I own C4 Corvettes is that SOB right there. I saw a yellow Vert in 1986, it was brand new and I followed it for miles, I was just admiring it over and over again.

...I wanna cry, good memories http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee166/benzo_013/ThumbsUp.gif

When I was a kid, my Pop-Pop took us down the shore every year, for two weeks in the summer. One year, the house next door had that shiny new addition in the driveway. I just about shit myself, and came close to dehydrating slobbering over that car. It just stuck with me all these years. I think that car was the first model i put together, and probably still have it somewhere tucked away in a box from when I moved out of my parents house 12 years ago! There's just something about them. :o_o:

RedLS1GTO
01-18-2011, 10:00am
The strongest reason I own C4 Corvettes is that SOB right there.

I still remember as a kid (I wsa a whopping 5 at the time) getting to meet Gen. Yeager at Indy Motor Speedway the year he was driving that pace car.

As for the 95... I personally think the paint job is ugly as hell, but what it represents makes it one of my all time favorite C4s (just like the purple/yellow pace car is one of my favorite C5s). There is no more special place to me than Indy. I basically grew up and developed my love of cars and racing at that track. I have been to at least 1 race at the track every year since I was 2 years old with the 2 exceptions of being deployed on the other side of the Earth. Even then, I was on a satellite phone with my dad and listened to the first lap of the Brickyard 400 both years.

NB2K
01-18-2011, 10:05am
Autos depend on the rear gear set.

2.73s suck azz/
3.15s are tolerable.

My guess is that it has the 3.15s.

mike100
01-18-2011, 10:08am
They do have the same size wheels front and rear with 275's all around...don't know if it has Z07-like spring rates or not. gears are 3:07. I've never driven an automatic LT1 so that's one thing I'm really not sure about.

527 Indy Pace Car replicas were produced. The specifications for these replicas are1:

* Convertible
* Dark Purple Metalic over White Two-Tone paint
* Special Indy Decal Package and Special Indy Emblems
* 5.7L Engine (LT1)
* 4-Speed Automatic Transmission
* Performance Axle Ratio (3.07:1)
* 9.5" Front and Rear Argent ZR-1 Wheels
* P275/40ZR17 B/W Tires
* Coated ZR-1 Rotors
* Black Interior
* Black Leather Adjustable Sport Bucket Seats with purple Insert and Indy Logo on Headrest
* Electronic Air Conditioning
* Delco/Bose Music System with electronically tuned AM/FM Stereo Radio, Cassette Tape and CD Player
* Power Driver & Passenger Seats

NB2K
01-18-2011, 10:35am
Performance Axle Ratio (3.07:1)

That's good.

Maybe they didn't even have the 2.73 in '95?