PDA

View Full Version : Favorite morning Oatmeal recipe......?

Kerrmudgeon
01-16-2011, 10:49am
As we all know by now oatmeal lowers blood cholesterol and is a perfect remedy for constipation and colon problems like diverticulitis. BUT it's boring.....! What's your favorite pick me up for old faithful?
BTW, the Scots have traditionally started their day with it, and they also love fried and fatty foods, and yet have one of the lowest heart attack rates in the world. Hmmmm?

Here's my current fave: First, forget about instant or one minute oatmeal, you have to use steel cut or whole rolled oats for max benefit.
Start with cold water, oats. (2to1), pinch salt, tablespoon of crunchy peanut butter,(stir as you heat to dissolve PB) and bring to a boil for about 30 seconds covered. Remove from heat, and let sit, covered, for 5 minutes. Slice a banana into it and stir, return to heat for 30 seconds covered and remove. let sit for a couple more minutes. Done. Tastes like a peanut butter and banana sandwich with a crunch.:thumbs:

Another fave is sliced apple, cinnamon, and nutmeg.

1911fool
01-18-2011, 1:27am
add cruched up bacon to your recipe and you'd have a winner!! serious

Olustee bus
01-30-2011, 5:43pm
gonna try the pnut butter/banana. I Bet you could do the same with jelly too.

Mrs. Colleen
01-30-2011, 7:17pm
That sounds so good. :cheers: I love this section! :above:

I recently tried Warm Honey Oats...

Bring 1/2 to 3/4 cup water to a boil; add 1/4 cup oats and 1/2 cup chopped pear (I tried it with apple instead and it is equally as delicious.) Reduce heat and cook oats according to the package direction (I just bought bulk oats so I had to wing it. Took about 5 minutes max.) Top with 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed, a dash of ground ginger and 2 teaspoons honey.

Also good to add some of the fresh fruit at the very end so you get a little extra crunch/texture. :cheers:

Kerrmudgeon
01-30-2011, 11:58pm
If you're not worried about fat, try the traditional Scot's way with brown sugar and butter, with a splash of table cream. Oh my aching arteries.:lol:

Olustee bus
01-31-2011, 11:46am
Wacky. I tried it and liked it!

khblair
02-01-2011, 6:41pm
wish i liked oatmeal

Mrs. Colleen
02-01-2011, 7:04pm
After chopping my apple and throwing my oatmeal into boiling water this morning, I remembered this peanut butter recipe. Since I did not remember it exactly and I did not have time to look it up I just grabbed a scoop of peanut butter and about a dozen mini chocolate chips :D into the oatmeal with the apple. It was really good! :cheers: Cannot wait to try it with the banana! :dance:

Mrs. Colleen
02-01-2011, 7:06pm
wish i liked oatmeal

Have you tried making your own...not instant...and adding lots of fruit?

Poog
02-01-2011, 7:59pm
Have you tried making your own...not instant...and adding lots of fruit?

A good dose of cinnamon helps too.

Tinkerbell in Texas
02-01-2011, 9:33pm
cooked oatmeal with a generous portion of maple syrup. :thumbs:

FRISKY
02-02-2011, 3:23am
I cook the oatmeal and add butter, two slices of bread that I tear into small pieces and a couple packets of nutrasweet that I pour on the bread pieces before I stir them into the oatmeal.

Olustee bus
02-02-2011, 6:18am
wish i liked oatmeal

You may really like steel cut oatmeal. It is better.

Kerrmudgeon
02-02-2011, 8:07am
After chopping my apple and throwing my oatmeal into boiling water this morning, I remembered this peanut butter recipe. Since I did not remember it exactly and I did not have time to look it up I just grabbed a scoop of peanut butter and about a dozen mini chocolate chips :D into the oatmeal with the apple. It was really good! :cheers: Cannot wait to try it with the banana! :dance:

If you start with the oats in cold water you end up with a creamier result....:thumbs:
I've even turned the pb and banana, and the apple-cinnamon-nutmeg recipes into muffins....Mmmmm good.

awbig
05-10-2011, 9:16pm
Just a little honey and or diced fruit.

prospero63
05-16-2011, 12:04pm
I get the Brown Sugar and Maple and add honey and cinnamon, or I get the cinnamon flavor and add maple syrup (real, not that corn syrup crap) and honey. I think the real key is the honey...

Oh, and I never use water. Milk only.