PDA

View Full Version : Z-51 vs Base Coupe

GentleBen
08-31-2013, 6:43pm
Had an interesting discussion with a Corvette engineer today and during the discussion on the forthcoming C7 Z-51 package he indicated that the gearing for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gears in manual transmission cars would be lower for the Z-51 than for the base transmission similar to the 2005 C6. The difference being that the gear ratio for third is something new for the C7 line.

This, coupled with the increased rolling resistance of the larger tires and increased air intake through the front of the car would slightly lessen fuel economy for Z-51 equipped cars. Since the Corvette's fuel economy for the Federally mandated CAFE rating is based upon the more fuel efficient base car, Chevrolet legally must sell more non-Z-51 equipped cars than those with the package. When I asked if we would potentially see the return of production constraints on orders with Z-51 he stated that he thought we would see this taking effect before the end of the year as virtually every order is coming in with this option.

He further stated that he would anticipate a "significant increase" in the current option price of $2,800 for the package if demand continued next year the way it is going this year.

BigJoe
11-30-2013, 7:12pm
Interesting theory of why Z51 are constrained. I would think that the difference in MPG is so small that it wouldn't be the primary reason, though. And yes I wouldn't be surprised if the Z51 package on the 2015 will cost double or more.

C7
01-17-2014, 6:10pm
Pfadt coil overs ftw. :hurray:

WKMCD
01-29-2014, 7:00pm
Pfadt coil overs ftw. :hurray:

The Z51 is the deal of the century. Dry sump engine, bigger shocks and sway bars, bigger wheels, trans and diff coolers, electronic limited slip differential, bigger brakes and probably a few more things I forgot.

All for $2,800. :seasix: