PDA

View Full Version : Parkinson's disease symptoms vanish with the push of a button

Wathen1955
06-29-2013, 12:28am
Amazing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=uBh2LxTW0s0

In 2009, Andrew Johnson, 35, was diagnosed with early onset Parkinson's disease. Last November, and again in February, he underwent a procedure, during which surgeons implanted a device in his brain that controls his tremors. Today, you'd never guess he suffers from Parkinson's – but watch what happens when he turns his new implant off.

Johnson flips the switch on his device at the 2:00 mark, but for the full effect you'll want to watch from the beginning. When his hands and head are at rest, you're witnessing the stunning effects of a procedure known as deep brain stimulation (DBS). The surgery involves the implantation of a brain pacemaker. Like the artifical pacemaker you might find attached to someone's heart, a brain pacemaker is used to generate electrical impulses, only instead of targeting heart muscles it targets specific regions of the brain. In patients suffering from Parkinson's disease, DBS is used to treat motor symptoms when other forms of therapy fail.

As Johnson points out on his blog, DBS is not a miracle cure – it's an FDA-approved surgical procedure that's been cleared for the treatment of Parkinson's disease for over a decade now. That being said, Johnson has responded to the treatment extraordinarily well, as you can clearly see in the video above.
Man's Parkinson's disease symptoms vanish with the push of a button (http://io9.com/mans-parkinsons-disease-symptoms-vanish-with-the-push-596699696)

RED-85-Z51
06-29-2013, 12:38am
MJ Fox should get this, and bring back "Spin City" and do some BACK T OTHE FUTURE films...

73sbVert
06-29-2013, 12:49am
Guaranteed that MJF's money is in there somewhere!

kingpin
06-29-2013, 3:14am
Good Canadian kid. Spin city had so many hotties during it's on air period.

mikeg826
06-29-2013, 6:42am
Guy i've known a couple years professionally , recently told his story about Parkinson's and DBS. Never knew he had Parkinson's till he revealed it in his last speech at our leadership meeting( he was acting president and his term was up ). Great guy , and the DBS unit allowed him to do a lot of "normal " things without Parkinson's ruling his life.

There is an E:60 story about a MLB player going through it.

RED-85-Z51
06-29-2013, 1:41pm
BTTF rumored to be in talks of getting a reboot.

I couldn't care less about MJ Fox.

Got to admit though..BTTF with any other actor..wouldnt have been as awesome..would it.

I was into BTTF before I was into Star Wars, BBTF is one of those things..I dunno, im addicted.

Kerrmudgeon
06-29-2013, 1:53pm
Sooooo....if the wife wanted you to go to vibrate mode, you know, to flick the bean, she could use the remote? :D

DukeAllen
06-29-2013, 2:57pm
Damn...my dad had Parkinsons, but he's been gone over 10 years.