PDA

View Full Version : RCMP seize ‘substantial’ number of firearms from evacuated homes in High River

NeedSpeed
06-28-2013, 6:21pm
High River flood: Guns seized by police as angry residents confront RCMP | Canada | News | National Post (http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/06/28/high-river-residents-furious-after-rcmp-seize-substantial-number-of-firearms-from-evacuated-homes/)

:willy:

Kerrmudgeon
06-28-2013, 6:29pm
Better the cops take them for safe keeping than looters and gang bangers. If they're legal they'll get them back from the :polis:
:thumbs:

JRD77VET
06-28-2013, 6:39pm
Better the cops take them for safe keeping than looters and gang bangers. If they're legal they'll get them back from the :polis:

And if they find one line not marked correctly on any form, they'll keep them.

How much bullshit and cost is it going to take to get their own possesions back?

VatorMan
06-28-2013, 6:40pm

So....you trust your .gov to do the right thing ?

Kerrmudgeon
06-28-2013, 6:43pm
And if they find one line not marked correctly on any form, they'll keep them.

How much bullshit and cost is it going to take to get their own possesions back?

You can't use American standards when talking about our country. Apples to oranges. Judge not........:canada:

JRD77VET
06-28-2013, 6:51pm
You can't use American standards when talking about our country. Apples to oranges. Judge not........:canada:

You had a national registration that was a multi BILLION dollar failure. :yesnod:

Your own people didn't stand for it. :hurray:

Kerrmudgeon
06-29-2013, 6:06pm
You had a national registration that was a multi BILLION dollar failure. :yesnod:

Your own people didn't stand for it. :hurray:

Let's put that in the correct context. That was a long gun registry, and had nothing to do with prohibited weapons or hand guns, and yes, I'm glad I didn't have to register mine. I held out until it was overturned. like I said I'd rather have my legal rifles in the hands of the RCMP temporarily than stolen by looters in a flood situation. :seasix:

Knooger
06-29-2013, 7:03pm
He did confirm that officers relied on forced entry to get into numerous houses during the early stages of the flood because of an “urgent need.”

Sounds like they kicked their doors down to take the guns. I'd probably be alright with that.

...Whitepower...
06-29-2013, 7:13pm
It's Canada... WGAF.

slewfoot
06-29-2013, 7:23pm
Canadians, the other "white meat!" :rofl:

Ironic though, everything you like or don't like about Obama or our government is not as fked up as that is.

FasterTraffic
06-29-2013, 7:38pm
He did confirm that officers relied on forced entry to get into numerous houses during the early stages of the flood because of an “urgent need.”

As in, "we urgently need to steal these firearms while the owners are still away."

Did they know which houses had firearms or did they break into all the houses?

Topham said the confiscated firearms had been inventoried and were secure at an RCMP detachment. He was not at liberty to say how many firearms had been confiscated.

"If we tell you how many we confiscated, someone will count how many were returned and notice the numbers don't match."

“We have seized a large quantity of firearms simply because they were left by residents in their places,” said Topham.

The recommendation here is clearly to take all your firearms with you when you leave the house.

The guns will be returned to owners after residents are allowed back in town and they provide proof of ownership, Topham added.

What a load of horse s**t. The RCMP should return everything unless they can prove the firearms aren't owned by the resident. In everything government does, the citizen always bears the burden of proof to unf**k whatever situation government created.

snide
06-29-2013, 7:53pm

Sorry Robbie, but if the police illegally entered my home, with out a warrant or probable cause, and took my possessions without my permission or knowledge, there would be hell to pay.

JRD77VET
06-29-2013, 7:58pm
Let's put that in the correct context. That was a long gun registry, and had nothing to do with prohibited weapons or hand guns, and yes, I'm glad I didn't have to register mine. I held out until it was overturned. like I said I'd rather have my legal rifles in the hands of the RCMP temporarily than stolen by looters in a flood situation. :seasix:

I'd rather not have "legal authorites" breaking into my house to take what is mine.

I am glad to hear you did hold out.

Kerrmudgeon
06-29-2013, 8:31pm
Sorry Robbie, but if the police illegally entered my home, with out a warrant or probable cause, and took my possessions without my permission or knowledge, there would be hell to pay.

I'd rather not have "legal authorites" breaking into my house to take what is mine.

I am glad to hear you did hold out.

Most of those houses were full of water and open, some floating.... no breaking in period. So you guys would rather have aholes in boats ripping you off? :crazy:

JRD77VET
06-29-2013, 8:37pm
Most of those houses were full of water and open, some floating.... no breaking in period. So you guys would rather have aholes in boats ripping you off? :crazy:

Safe is thru bolted to two walls and the floor. A boat isn't going to have enough "umph" to move it.

Kerrmudgeon
06-29-2013, 8:52pm
Safe is thru bolted to two walls and the floor. A boat isn't going to have enough "umph" to move it.

And the cops wouldn't get them either. The ones they took were not in gun safes, just lying around, where anyone could steal them. Windows were all blown out from the water pressure as well. We saw it all on the news. :seasix:

Knooger
06-29-2013, 9:02pm
And the cops wouldn't get them either. The ones they took were not in gun safes, just lying around, where anyone could steal them. Windows were all blown out from the water pressure as well. We saw it all on the news. :seasix:

That's less offensive than what I was picturing.

sanchez
06-29-2013, 9:05pm

Is it common for people to leave fire arms just sitting around, out in the open?

kingpin
06-29-2013, 10:37pm
This is a useless thread isn't it.
:rofl:

FasterTraffic
06-29-2013, 11:40pm
That's less offensive than what I was picturing.

I don't see how that jives with, "He did confirm that officers relied on forced entry to get into numerous houses." Also, guns don't float, so it's not like all these firearms are floating out the broken window and drifting all over town.

island14
06-30-2013, 3:08am
What a load of horse s**t. The RCMP should return everything unless they can prove the firearms aren't owned by the resident. In everything government does, the citizen always bears the burden of proof to unf**k whatever situation government created.

I don't know anything about Canada laws, but in the US the burden of proof is on the State.

To be fair all the owners should have to do is provide proof that it was their home.

But you can believe all gun numbers will be checked before being released.

Meanwhile... I have to wonder what all else was confiscated that they would later claim to have seen in plain view, while doing their warrantless searches.

A few Bongs maybe? and wonder if they will try to file charges.. :island14:

“People have a significant amount of money invested in firearms … so we put them in a place that we control and that they’re safe.”

So this was to protect the peoples belongings? did they also collect any Jewelry, or cash for safe keeping? :confused5:

Kerrmudgeon
06-30-2013, 6:32am
I don't know anything about Canada laws, but in the US the burden of proof is on the State.

To be fair all the owners should have to do is provide proof that it was their home.

But you can believe all gun numbers will be checked before being released.

Meanwhile... I have to wonder what all else was confiscated that they would later claim to have seen in plain view, while doing their warrantless searches.

A few Bongs maybe? and wonder if they will try to file charges.. :island14:

So this was to protect the peoples belongings? did they also collect any Jewelry, or cash for safe keeping? :confused5:

Oh please, this is Canada, not the Philippians. Duddley Dooright and all that rot! :roll:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_AcBUSVxs82w/TMxGhgLJ4cI/AAAAAAAAiu4/NJqSiHJfO7I/s1600/Dudley-Do-Right-Cartoon-Photos.JPG

OddBall
06-30-2013, 6:55am
The guns will be returned to owners after residents are allowed back in town and they provide proof of ownership, Topham added.

Also, all that you have to do to "prove" that they were your's, would be to show your name and address. Like a drivers license.
If they didn't record what they took from what home, then they have no intention of returning anything.

Kerrmudgeon
06-30-2013, 6:59am
Also, all that you have to do to "prove" that they were your's, would be to show your name and address. Like a drivers license.
If they didn't record what they took from what home, then they have no intention of returning anything.

They had to record what came from where by law. :doh:

OddBall
06-30-2013, 7:06am
They had to record what came from where by law. :doh:

Is that the criteria for getting them back? Or are they going to insist on serial numbers?
Also records, as well as property, tend to get "lost".

The only thing that is certain is that they got the guns, and the owners don't.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Kerrmudgeon
06-30-2013, 7:38am
Is that the criteria for getting them back? Or are they going to insist on serial numbers?
Also records, as well as property, tend to get "lost".

The only thing that is certain is that they got the guns, and the owners don't.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Don't forget that this is Calgary, home of the Canadian Cowboy, the Canadian Dallas, where shotguns and rifles are part of most urban homes. If they didn't give them back, there would be serious repercussions.

Burnt C6
06-30-2013, 9:01am
Just to remind everyone the New Orleans police did basically the same thing to citizens when Katrina hit. They took them from people who were leaving town and those staying to protect their property.

DJ_Critterus
06-30-2013, 2:04pm

I've heard that same argument when Katrina gave NOLA and enema.