PDA

View Full Version : Right and Left Hands

Norm
06-28-2013, 10:57am
We generally favor one side or the other, and use the hand on that side the most. Hand orientation is developed in fetuses, most commonly determined by observing which hand is predominantly held close to the mouth.

Is there any significance to the way we named these two sides? No doubt about it: our language sends the message that "right" is right. The majority not only rules, it rubs it in. Ninety percent of the adult population is right-handed, and the word for that side, "right," is derived from a variety of sources, all of which suggest strength (The correct side).

Left, on the other hand, comes from the Old English, lyft, for useless, weak. The left side is often associated with awkwardness and clumsiness. If you're a klutz, you don't dance as if you had two left feet or getting out of the wrong side of the bed. On the plus side for lefty's, A 2006 study at Johns Hopkins University found that left-handed men are 15 percent richer than right-handed men for those who attended college, and 26 percent richer if they graduated.

Well how 'bout that.......

Why Is One Hand Called Right And The Other Hand Left: | Fun Facts & Stuff | Fun Facts & Stuff (http://weirdfacts.com/Fun-Facts-Stuff/left-and-right.html#ixzz2XWieQicK)

8Up
06-28-2013, 10:59am
We generally favor one side or the other, and use the hand on that side the most. Hand orientation is developed in fetuses, most commonly determined by observing which hand is predominantly held close to the mouth.

Is there any significance to the way we named these two sides? No doubt about it: our language sends the message that "right" is right. The majority not only rules, it rubs it in. Ninety percent of the adult population is right-handed, and the word for that side, "right," is derived from a variety of sources, all of which suggest strength (The correct side).

Left, on the other hand, comes from the Old English, lyft, for useless, weak. The left side is often associated with awkwardness and clumsiness. If you're a klutz, you don't dance as if you had two left feet or getting out of the wrong side of the bed. On the plus side for lefty's, A 2006 study at Johns Hopkins University found that left-handed men are 15 percent richer than right-handed men for those who attended college, and 26 percent richer if they graduated.

Well how 'bout that.......

Why Is One Hand Called Right And The Other Hand Left: | Fun Facts & Stuff | Fun Facts & Stuff (http://weirdfacts.com/Fun-Facts-Stuff/left-and-right.html#ixzz2XWieQicK)

I can use both.....wait, what are we talking about?

Bucwheat
06-28-2013, 11:02am
I'm a Klutz with both Norm.:slap:

DukeAllen
06-28-2013, 11:10am
I can even write with my feet. Why am I not a billionaire, partying with the Kennedys and ignoring you poor people?

C5Nate
06-28-2013, 11:25am
That information could come in......handy.

jaxgator
06-28-2013, 12:58pm
Phil Mickelson is naturally a right-handed person. I heard that the reason that he golfs left-handed is because he learned how to swing a club facing his father that was swinging a club. Therefore, a mirror image and left-handed golf swing.

Ms.Gem
06-28-2013, 1:05pm
What about people who are ambidextrous??

DukeAllen
06-28-2013, 1:31pm
What about people who are ambidextrous??

It's cool as long as you send pics :D