PDA

View Full Version : Inrternet sales tax question

Burnt C6
06-27-2013, 12:26pm
So I'm on line trying to buy a couple of BCG's from a manufacture in another state. I go to check out and there is a 8.075 sales tax added to them each. I thought that the tax didn’t pass. I know these guys don’t have a store front in Texas. I’ve bought from them before and there was no tax. Anyone know WTF is going on? :confused5:

C5SilverBullet
06-27-2013, 12:30pm
If you have a warehouse, store, office, or sales person in Texas, you have to charge sales tax.

NeedSpeed
06-27-2013, 12:37pm
If you have a warehouse, store, office, or sales person in Texas, you have to charge sales tax.

:iagree:

Sea Six
06-27-2013, 12:47pm
Why are you trying to buy birth control glasses in the first place?

jda67gta
06-27-2013, 12:48pm
http://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-get/I0000vm2RjA9CJzU/s/650/650/030123-1858-BW.jpg

Stangkiller
06-27-2013, 12:50pm
Why are you trying to buy birth control glasses in the first place?

Bolt Carrier Groups :yesnod:

Burnt C6
06-27-2013, 12:57pm

I know that Tony. Thing is they don't thats why its pissing me off.

C5SilverBullet
06-27-2013, 1:00pm
I know that Tony. Thing is they don't thats why its pissing me off.

They probably have a sales person here.

Doug28450
06-27-2013, 1:00pm
I believe that some states have already passed laws requiring that the tax be collected. This could be one of those states.

Mike Mercury
06-27-2013, 1:02pm
I know that Tony. Thing is they don't

I believe that some states have already passed laws requiring that the tax be collected. This could be one of those states.

we now charge sales tax on all purchases; even though we're located in just one state.

Though, our sales tax rate is just 6.5%

Burnt C6
06-27-2013, 2:00pm
They probably have a sales person here.

It’s a small shop unless grand mother lives here. By the way I still have ammo in my car for you.

Yea been on line reading and seems there are some that are doing it. They weren’t going to wait for the feds. Most were not starting till July 1st.

mrvette
06-27-2013, 3:35pm
I buy shit on ebay, I could care less about 7% of a ~40-50 buck purchase....what pisses ME off is a 15 buck shipping/handling fee....

SOME folks offer FREE shipping, and that's more important than any sales tax BS.....

:seasix::seasix:

lspencer534
06-27-2013, 4:20pm

Yep, regardless of whether there is a store, warehouse, sales rep or whatever of the seller in the State collecting the tax. I think these laws are going to have a tough time in the Courts. Even if the tax itself passes legal muster, enforcement (collection) of the tax faces a huge hurdle. The U.S. Constitution prevents a non-resident of a State from being subject to the jurisdiction of another State absent certain "minimum contacts" in the other State.

In other words, the non-resident must maintain a physical presence in the other State, enter into a contract with a resident of the other State that is performed partly or fully in the other State (a sale to a resident of that State doesn't meet the test), or commit a tort in the other State against a resident of the otter State in order to be sued in the other State. Unless one of these tests is met, the other State simply has no jurisdiction over the non-resident. Though not neccesarily the wise thing to do, the non-resident can simply ignore the suit and challenge any Judgment when the non-resident tries to enforce it in the non-resident's State.

And, collection of sales taxes by a State is easy enough withing that State: Sellers have to maintain and furnish records of their sales to that State to prove they're collecting and remitting sales tax. How is a State going to force a non-resident of that State to do that? Hell, that State won't even know a sale hasd been made to a resident.

States think they have uncovered a new way to raise vast amounts of revenue. I think the revenue is going to be practically non-existent.

lspencer534
06-27-2013, 4:23pm
I buy shit on ebay, I could care less about 7% of a ~40-50 buck purchase....what pisses ME off is a 15 buck shipping/handling fee....

SOME folks offer FREE shipping, and that's more important than any sales tax BS.....

:seasix::seasix:

Some sellers are notorious for exorbitant shipping/handling fees. I've seen thousands of small, light weight items priced at <$20 but with a $15-$20 shipping charge.

Torqaholic
06-27-2013, 4:41pm
... I think the revenue is going to be practically non-existent.

Yup. They were getting taxes from manufacturing profits which was built into the original product price. Kiss that goodbye without any sales. I quit buying online 2 years ago when it became obvious this was going to become law based on principle, I don't contriibute to thieves.