PDA

View Full Version : Cold Comfort: Funeral Home Offers Drive-thru Viewing

onedef92
06-27-2013, 8:58am
Funeral Home Offers Drive-Thru Viewing

Posted June 26, 2013

FARMVILLE, Va. (WTVR)—The drive-thru itself was an innovative concept, but at this one, it’s unlikely you can order any fries or a shake.

Carl Eggleston of Farmville believes in innovation when it comes to his funeral business. After 30 years in the business, he’s seen some changes and he’s tried to be one who keeps up with the times and needs of families.

Next month he’ll have cameras installed in the chapel, so services can be viewed online for family out-of-state. He’s already seen many grieving families choose to have their loved ones fingerprints made into rings, pendants and ear rings.

But now he’s leading the way in Virginia with a new service, the drive-thru. “You can stay in your car and ride by this window, see your loved one–also see when the place and time of service is going to be held, on this board here–without leaving your car,” Eggleston said from the Oliver and Eggleston Funeral Establishment.

Eggleston said he sees the drive-thru option as something some will chose during inclement weather and that will be used by those with disabilities but he adds it won’t replace the traditional chapel service.

“You can have a regular viewing, in a regular room and then at night, if you want us to roll you over here and put you in here, we can put the person in here,” Eggleston said, as he stood beside a casket in the room.

Three windows on the side and two in front allow views from those passing by in the parking lot.

Jobaka
06-27-2013, 10:39am
Great idea. I'd like to pay my respects to the deceased by demonstrating my unwillingness to get out of my car.

I guess I'm old fashioned. Or maybe it's a cultural thing. A good old fashioned Irish wake and a drive-through seem like a dangerous combination.

DukeAllen
06-27-2013, 11:15am
I heard of that a few years ago. Sounds pretty lame to me. I hope if my family ever tries it, the strip me naked and flip me over so I can go out mooning :D

Kerrmudgeon
06-27-2013, 11:22am
At first when I read that I thought "omg, how f'ing lazy can you get" and no wonder the average north american is FAT!.......:toetap:

Then I thought that a lot of old people go to the funerals of their old friends. Let's face it, more old people pass away than young. And a lot of those who wish to attend can't get around that easy, so I'm thinking it does serve a purpose. :yesnod:

mrvette
06-27-2013, 11:28am
:rofl: NOW if the deceased is a black gang banger, it makes a whole new meaning to drive by......

:issues::dance::lol:

onedef92
06-27-2013, 12:08pm
:rofl: NOW if the deceased is a black gang banger, it makes a whole new meaning to drive by......

:issues::dance::lol:

There are several funeral homes operating in crime-ridden neighborhoods that have added the drive-thru feature.

Drive-Thru Funeral Home in the Ghetto - YouTube

Sea Six
06-27-2013, 3:21pm
Maybe they could
Launch a smartphone app for the viewing

Jobaka
06-27-2013, 3:24pm
Maybe they could
Launch a smartphone app for the viewing

:funny: He lived a good life, as evidenced by the 732 likes at has virtual funeral.