PDA

View Full Version : Bit the bullet. Bought reloading press

SnikPlosskin
06-26-2013, 8:42pm
Picked up a Lee progressive 1000 today. $199.

I've heard it's a piece of shit but it is priced accordingly. What is retarded is it doesn't come with assembly instructions. It took me about half an hour to figure out where the handle goes. Apparently it does not go up my ass.

I see there is a lot online about setting it up. But wouldn't you think Lee would have thought it handy to put an assembly sheet in the box?

Even just a sheet that tells you WTF some of the parts are. :confused5:

Now I need to scrounge some components. Cabelas was out of primers. I gave most of my used brass to an organization that works with vets to reload for therapy.

I think it will work to get started.

AU Eagle
06-26-2013, 8:46pm
I went with the Lee Classic Turret Press myself...been very pleased with it.

Stangkiller
06-26-2013, 8:48pm
sweet! Can you start making me some .300blk please!?

Jeff '79
06-26-2013, 8:48pm
U-Tube for the set up.. There's tons of videos on it.

JRD77VET
06-26-2013, 8:53pm
Congrats :cheers:

http://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/off-topic/10147-how-reloading-center-fire-rifle-ammo.html

http://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/off-topic/10149-how-reloading-center-fire-pistol-ammo.html

Reloading data at Cartridge Loads - Hodgdon Reloading Data Center - data.hodgdon.com (http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp)
~~~~~~~~~

iirc, he needs some 9mm, .40S&W and some .223 brass plus components

Anybody want to help him out? :D

Jay13
06-26-2013, 8:55pm
What is retarded is it doesn't come with assembly instructions. It took me about half an hour to figure out where the handle goes. Apparently it does not go up my ass.

I've got some instructions I can send you, but I regret that they're pretty much gonna tell you to shove it up your ass after all. Let me know. :cert:

StaticCling
06-26-2013, 8:58pm
I went with the Lee Classic Turret Press myself...been very pleased with it.

The Lee Classic Turret is a GREAT press. I used one for a few years and had no issues with it.

Here is my current Humble Little Setup. :)

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d186/Air1070/DSCF0058.jpg

Harrell's Precision Turret Press with a Lee Single Stage. I also have a Harrell's Powder Measure, machined by Linwood Harrell himself.

1911fool
06-26-2013, 8:58pm
I have a Pro 1000. It works decently well, however you have to get into a rhythm. I can do about 150 rounds an hour. Which isn't much but faster than a single stage. I have mine set up now if you need pictures or have questions let me know.

C5Nate
06-26-2013, 9:02pm
My BIL is big into reloading, and has one. I just don't have the time but have used his stuff on occasion. I broke his bead chain trying to adjust the powder measure. Keep your primer chute clean (powder flakes from accidental spills when setting up).

Its not a Dillon but for the $$$ its a decent press. Still better than a single stage.

Jeff '79
06-26-2013, 9:03pm
Alcohol & Reloading.... What could go wrong?

Lee Pro 1000 Intitial Set Up - YouTube

1911fool
06-26-2013, 9:05pm
Here is a friends Dillon 1050 that he automated and wrote a PLC for. In this video it is running at 1250 RPH.

Automated Dillon 1050 - YouTube

OddBall
06-26-2013, 9:12pm
Post up some pics of it when you've got it set up.

...not the one with the handle up your ass though.

SnikPlosskin
06-26-2013, 9:17pm

http://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/off-topic/10147-how-reloading-center-fire-rifle-ammo.html

http://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/off-topic/10149-how-reloading-center-fire-pistol-ammo.html

Reloading data at Cartridge Loads - Hodgdon Reloading Data Center - data.hodgdon.com (http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp)
~~~~~~~~~

I have those threads bookmarked!

Do need brass. Gonna take some planning to get things rolling.

This is all your fault, you know. :issues:

SnikPlosskin
06-26-2013, 9:19pm
Post up some pics of it when you've got it set up.

...not the one with the handle up your ass though.

Will do. Might be a week or two. Got the handle out but I think I lost one of the dies up there.

JRD77VET
06-26-2013, 9:21pm
I have those threads bookmarked!

Do need brass. Gonna take some planning to get things rolling.

This is all your fault, you know. :issues:

After the cash outlay, it does end up being cheaper per round. :yesnod:

Plus, you can tailor the load to work perfectly with your firearm :seasix:

Using RL 22 powder and 165 grain Nosler ballistic tips in my .300 win mag, I've shot .593 groups at 100 yards

SnikPlosskin
06-26-2013, 9:29pm
Here is a friends Dillon 1050 that he automated and wrote a PLC for. In this video it is running at 1250 RPH.

Dillon 1050 PLC 45ACP - YouTube (http://youtube.com/watch?v=1UEXjB-nceE)

Holy shit! That is badass!

ft laud mike
06-27-2013, 4:20am
Congrats on your new endeavor!... Too bad there are no components to be found for sale anywhere....:leaving:
:cert:

Torqaholic
06-27-2013, 5:05am
... I also have a Harrell's Powder Measure, machined by Linwood Harrell himself.

I see you keep your investments locked in the safe :lol:

Torqaholic
06-27-2013, 5:13am
Holy shit! That is badass!

Wonder how many rounds he had to disassemble after finally getting that set up running.

SnikPlosskin
06-27-2013, 10:38am
Congrats on your new endeavor!... Too bad there are no components to be found for sale anywhere....:leaving:

They can be had. Gunbot is your friend.

AU Eagle
06-27-2013, 12:09pm

My local shop has had a steady supply for the last couple of months...powder has finally has caught up too for the most part.

They actually have 1 lb cans of Varget...

JRD77VET
06-27-2013, 6:26pm

~~~~~~~~~

Sending a little bit of brass your way. One of the small priority boxes, half filled with 9mm and half with .40sw brass. ( it's range pick up, needs cleaning)

:seeya: Jeff

SnikPlosskin
06-27-2013, 7:03pm
Sending a little bit of brass your way. One of the small priority boxes, half filled with 9mm and ahlf with .40sw brass. ( it's range pick up, needs cleaning)

:seeya: Jeff

Noice!

Got some primers and hollow points (all they had)' some powder and I have some .223 brass. I'm using my kids rock tumbler to clean it!

I need to get a case trimmer and a deburring/chamfer tool.

I think I'll attempt set up on Sunday. I think I'll attach to a piece of plywood that then I will clamp to a table. Don't want to do it in the garage due to heat. Kitchen table will work nicely but wife insists I can't leave it set up. :confused5:

JRD77VET
06-27-2013, 7:08pm
Noice!

Got some primers and hollow points (all they had)' some powder and I have some .223 brass. I'm using my kids rock tumbler to clean it!

I think I'll attempt set up on Sunday. I think I'll attach to a piece of plywood that then I will clamp to a table. Don't want to do it in the garage due to heat. Kitchen table will work nicely but wife insists I can't leave it set up. :confused5:

You'll need cleaning media. The rock tumbler is a little slower but it works great.

1911fool
06-27-2013, 7:58pm
Noice!

Whatever you set it up on needs to be rigid. Right now mine is set up on a workbench I built. It is double 1/2 plywood with 2x4 legs in front and bolted to the wall. This set up isnt rigid enough. I added a couple 2 x 4s under the press and on top of the plywood.

The best setup Ive had it on was like the one currently, but with double 3/4 plywood.

Most of the issues Ive had with the Pro 1000 were due to a lack of rigidity. It seems with this press if it flexes at all it will do stupid crap and not be reliable.

SnikPlosskin
06-27-2013, 8:24pm
You'll need cleaning media. The rock tumbler is a little slower but it works great.

Using corn media and brass polish. Definitely slow. Thinking of giving it a shot of water from a spray bottle just to see if it helps.

Whatever you set it up on needs to be rigid. Right now mine is set up on a workbench I built. It is double 1/2 plywood with 2x4 legs in front and bolted to the wall. This set up isnt rigid enough. I added a couple 2 x 4s under the press and on top of the plywood.

The best setup Ive had it on was like the one currently, but with double 3/4 plywood.

Most of the issues Ive had with the Pro 1000 were due to a lack of rigidity. It seems with this press if it flexes at all it will do stupid crap and not be reliable.

My table is 2" thick maple. Its massive and ugly as shit. But it was free. I did read that the Lee is persnickety. I may set up a small table just for this. I think my office is a good place...

But I'll need to build it. None of my desks or work surfaces are up to snuff.

Jay13
06-27-2013, 8:27pm
Noice!

:toetap:

So, how'd it go?

SnikPlosskin
06-27-2013, 8:32pm
:toetap:

So, how'd it go?

Won't know until Sunday. Brass looks good except the drum keeps opening up and dumping out...

Jay13
06-27-2013, 8:44pm
Won't know until Sunday. Brass looks good except the drum keeps opening up and dumping out...

Yeah, well a rock polisher labeled "Discovery Channel" probably wasn't intended for polishing brass. :funny:

Seriously. Let me know how it goes. Been thinking of going this route and am kicking myself for the thousands of rounds of brass that I not only left for my friendly Middle-Eastern range owner to harvest, I actually obeyed the fcking sign and swept the damn things up for him. :ulan:

JRD77VET
06-27-2013, 8:47pm
Yeah, well a rock polisher labeled "Discovery Channel" probably wasn't intended for polishing brass. :funny:

Seriously. Let me know how it goes. Been thinking of going this route and am kicking myself for the thousands of rounds of brass that I not only left for my friendly Middle-Eastern range owner to harvest, I actually obeyed the fcking sign and swept the damn things up for him. :ulan:

~~~~~~~~~

Bookmark those link Jay :yesnod:

Jeff '79
06-27-2013, 8:52pm

I just started reloading recently and it's worth it. Custom tailoring your ammo for each gun you own is awesome and believe it or not; Once you get a recipe dialed in for a certain gun, you make every bullet the same and you actually shoot better groups..

SnikPlosskin
06-27-2013, 9:59pm

:rofl: it did polish rocks pretty well!

I'll post up my saga. Jeff's threads are very handy. I too, cringe thinking of all the brass I've left behind. Damn.

1911fool
06-27-2013, 10:40pm
Also when you mount the press it helps to have a hole in the table beneath the press. The old primers fall to the bottom of the base casting. With no hole in the table to fall out of they will build up and jam up the works. I have a small bucket hanging under mine to catch the spent primers.

SnikPlosskin
06-28-2013, 8:47pm
Aaaaagggg!

I have spent 3 hours trying to get this press set up. Every time I try it, the brass gets stuck in the primer pin/resizer die.

The ram doesn't seem to be attached tightly, it just comes out and the shell holder assembly stays up.

It looks like the deprimer pin isn't long enough. The shoulder of the pin has to go lower than the shoulder of the case so it gets stuck. I lubed the piss out of it too.

WTF.!

paging Jeff to the courtesy phone.

JRD77VET
06-28-2013, 8:55pm
Pictures would be a big help.

Is the rim on the brass tearing out of the holder?

Is the die set so it almost touches the holder on the ram?

Is the decapping pin adjustable? Can it be lowered?

SnikPlosskin
06-28-2013, 9:22pm
Pictures would be a big help.

Is the rim on the brass tearing out of the holder?

No

Is the die set so it almost touches the holder on the ram?
Yes

Is the decapping pin adjustable? Can it be lowered?
Yes

Turns out the screw holding the ram was not tight enough. Now it seems to be working. Although it sometimes doesn't deprime.

Now the powder die is mashing the tops. I screwed it down until it touched the holder, then backed it off 3/4 turn. Might need to back off a bit more.

Lee's instructions are the worst I've ever seen.

Finally got the powder dispenser working. Tomorrow I'll work on the bullet crimper.

I see what people were talking about the set up. What a bitch. Plus, it is sort of a POS.

but I think it will work.

One thing I'm noticing is the pin slips. Seems like the collar isn't tight enough. It should stay put, right?

JRD77VET
06-28-2013, 9:27pm
Turns out the screw holding the ram was not tight enough. Now it seems to be working. Although it sometimes doesn't deprime.

Now the powder die is mashing the tops. I screwed it down until it touched the holder, then backed it off 3/4 turn. Might need to back off a bit more.

Lee's instructions are the worst I've ever seen.

Finally got the powder dispenser working. Tomorrow I'll work on the bullet crimper.

I see what people were talking about the set up. What a bitch. Plus, it is sort of a POS.

but I think it will work.

.223? make the die a higher ( away from the case so it smash the shoulder )

Once you have ONE done, check for fit in your firearm. You can deform the case where it doesn't show to the eye but won't chamber.

Also make sure your primers are flush or slightly below. They should NOT rock when set on flat surface.

ft laud mike
06-29-2013, 1:09pm
My local shop has had a steady supply for the last couple of months...powder has finally has caught up too for the most part.

They actually have 1 lb cans of Varget...

Good to know, got a co-workerb bitching a storm because he can't find primers

SnikPlosskin
06-29-2013, 2:10pm
Having hard time finding 55 grain FMJ boat tails. Did find some hollow points at midway.