PDA

View Full Version : XM Radio

DAB
06-25-2013, 5:24pm
my new truck came with a 3 month trial subscription to XM Radio. i don't drive a lot, maybe 2-3 days a week, and of that, only one day is more than 40 miles total driving (about 3 hours of on and off driving, stops along the way). only found a few channels that interest me so far.

so today i get a mailer from XM asking me to sign up for a longer period.

thoughts? favorite channels i haven't tried yet?

GRN ENVY
06-25-2013, 5:35pm
I listen to the country it's usually good. They have a 6 month subscription for 30. If you do get it, you will need to request an invoice or they will keep the credit card on file and automatically renew you at the highest subscription price.

My next subscription will most Likly be pandora one.

DJ_Critterus
06-25-2013, 5:37pm
my new truck came with a 3 month trial subscription to XM Radio. i don't drive a lot, maybe 2-3 days a week, and of that, only one day is more than 40 miles total driving (about 3 hours of on and off driving, stops along the way). only found a few channels that interest me so far.

You'll get those mailers for the next year at a minimum unless you sign back up. I always liked the comedy channels, the Squizz, Liquid metal, and the 60s station. Not worth paying for though unless you do a shit ton more driving.

C5SilverBullet
06-25-2013, 5:40pm
I love it, wish I had it in the BMW, but we have it in the wife's Kia.

GM is lame with their 3 month subscription though, my new 300 came with a year, and my F150 had 6 months.

Sea Six
06-25-2013, 5:47pm
I've had more than one XM radio account. At present, I have two.

I pay $77/yr for each radio. That's less than $6.50 per month. I mostly only listen to one station, but occasionally I'll flip over to the 70's or 80's channel. I don't mind the fact that I only listen to one channel. It's worth it to me.

C5Nate
06-25-2013, 6:02pm
My next subscription will most Likly be pandora one.

:iagree:

XM came free for a year on my '03.

Kept XM for almost 7 years until I found Pandora One.

Have not looked back since. I seldom even use their free weeks of XM when they offer it about twice a year.

Stangkiller
06-25-2013, 6:52pm
I've been using pandora 1 for a few years now, it's awesome. We have free xm in my wife's car, I don't even in if she listens to it all that much anyways.

Giraffe (He/Him)
06-25-2013, 6:54pm
I love XM. Won't be without it.

Norm
06-25-2013, 7:22pm
Have XM in two vehicles, every year I have to do the "I'm going to drop you if I can't get a better rate" shuffle, and I always do get the "introductory rate"........again. Getting tired of that. Listen to a variety of stuff quite often, but I could live without it.

Seems some of you are quite pleased with Pandora 1? I'll have to check into that.

Stangkiller
06-25-2013, 7:26pm
Have XM in two vehicles, every year I have to do the "I'm going to drop you if I can't get a better rate" shuffle, and I always do get the "introductory rate"........again. Getting tired of that. Listen to a variety of stuff quite often, but I could live without it.

Seems some of you are quite pleased with Pandora 1? I'll have to check into that.

yup, but be warned, you can use a lot of data...if I stream Pandora 4 or 5 days a week at work, I'll easily burn through 2-3gb more than normal

MikeB
06-25-2013, 7:29pm
I still get the mailers, at least 2 per month, sometimes more.
6months for $25.00, then auto billing at full price (quite pricey). I don't drive long enough (15 minutes one way to work) to enjoy it.

Once you sign up, you need to "talk" to them to cancel, otherwise it's auto-bill from your checking acct or CC acct. Some will chime in and say they pay cash, but the only way you get the cheap rates is to give an acct number.

slewfoot
06-25-2013, 7:36pm

Whatever you do, do not pay with a credit card. Got get a money order and a stamp.

Also if you have an expiration date of service, you must call. It will not expired automatically as percieved. My two favorites were the joke channel and bluegrass channel

Been there, done that

Norm
06-25-2013, 7:39pm
I still get the mailers, at least 2 per month, sometimes more.
6months for $25.00, then auto billing at full price (quite pricey). I don't drive long enough (15 minutes one way to work) to enjoy it.

Once you sign up, you need to "talk" to them to cancel, otherwise it's auto-bill from your checking acct or CC acct. Some will chime in and say they pay cash, but the only way you get the cheap rates is to give an acct number.

I don't have a problem getting the cheaper rate, but it's a hassle, and I request a bill by mail, and send a check only.

RedLS1GTO
06-25-2013, 7:59pm
I spend a sh*tload of time on the road for my job and love my XM. I'll switch back and forth between some of the music stations, comedy, some ESPN, the sports channels if there is a game on that I am interested in, and even some talk radio.

It makes trips a lot better when you don't have to spend half of the time hitting the scan button.

Bill
06-25-2013, 8:09pm
I cancelled XM a few years back, not because I didn't enjoy the service, but because of the billing. Damn. I don't think a company could be any worse or try to **** you any more than XM.

Having said that, not to hijack, but does anyone have any input on getting a deal with Sirius? I know it's one company, but Sirius doesn't seem to have any promotional rates. You pay the rack rate or you go home. If anyone has tips, I'm all ears.

Z06David
06-26-2013, 7:41am
I cancelled XM a few years back, not because I didn't enjoy the service, but because of the billing. Damn. I don't think a company could be any worse or try to **** you any more than XM.

Having said that, not to hijack, but does anyone have any input on getting a deal with Sirius? I know it's one company, but Sirius doesn't seem to have any promotional rates. You pay the rack rate or you go home. If anyone has tips, I'm all ears.

I pay for the music only package which is 9.99 a month.

DJ_Critterus
06-26-2013, 10:32am
yup, but be warned, you can use a lot of data...if I stream Pandora 4 or 5 days a week at work, I'll easily burn through 2-3gb more than normal

It's good to have the unlimited data plan :D

6spdC6
06-26-2013, 10:44am
Whatever you do, do not pay with a credit card. Got get a money order and a stamp.

Also if you have an expiration date of service, you must call. It will not expired automatically as percieved. My two favorites were the joke channel and bluegrass channel

Been there, done that

:seasix: For sure the above post tells you the truth!

onedef92
06-26-2013, 11:22am
:seasix: For sure the above post tells you the truth!

I hear the same advice applies to the Pro Active Skin Care peeps, too. They will bill the ever-lovin' stool' outta' you and continue to ship products if you use a credit card, right?

6spdC6
06-26-2013, 11:36am
I hear the same advice applies to the Pro Active Skin Care peeps, too. They will bill the ever-lovin' stool' outta' you and continue to ship products if you use a credit card, right?

Could be, but Im not familar with that, but I had my fun with XM clowns and told them to cram it!

C5Nate
06-26-2013, 3:33pm
It's good to have the unlimited data plan :D

Yes, yes it is :D

Red Neck Comedy on Pandora :thumbs:

Yamma
06-27-2013, 5:14am
I'm hooked on mine. XM is basically all I've listened to in a car for the past 6 years or so. When my free trial expired in the v-dub, I was bummed. Tried Pandora, but it freezes up entirely too much - drove me crazy. Right now I'm on the 6 months for $25 deal. When that expires I'm afraid I'll cave. :D

I'm a fan of Sirius XM U, Lithium, Alt Nation, 60's on 6, 90's on 9, Margaritaville, Joint, etc......on long trips I turn on the Book channel to keep me awake.

Thunder22
06-27-2013, 5:28am
No complaints on the service, but they are the biggest scam artists I've ever encountered when it comes to billing/customer service. I had 3 radios, called 2 weeks in advance of renewal date (they're all co-termed), cancelled 1 and renewed the other 2 at $77/year. I asked for an email confirmation of what we agreed to, they refused saying they couldn't do that but don't worry, it's all taken care of. I demanded an email saying the 3rd radio was cancelled, they refused that too, same excuse.

Fast forward 3 weeks and I get a bill in the mail saying I owe for 3 radios at full price. It took me over an hour with customer service to straighten it out, all the while they were giving me the company line of "we don't have a record of that sir". If it weren't for the fact that the 2 radios that I renewed were for my parents who don't get local radio stations where they live, I would have cancelled all 3.

Be very careful with them, their business practices suck.