PDA

View Full Version : Woodworkers, question about Miter saws...

8Up
06-25-2013, 8:54am
I borrowed a miter saw from a friend on Sunday and now I want to buy one just like it. It was a 12" DeWalt miter but it also rotated and could tilt on an angle. I used it for cutting crown moulding and it was perfect, had the correct degrees marked out and everything, One chop and you got both angles. The problem is, I dont know what its called, I looked at compound miter but apparently they only swivel but dont tilt, Is there a special name for the kind that tilts too? I even looked at 'double bevel' but the description just says it has 90deg swing left or right but said nothing about the tilt. is there a name for the tilting feature or somthing?

DAB
06-25-2013, 8:58am
Lots of options depending on your budget. Have a 12" dewalt that only tilts one way. Have also used a 10" ryobi that had a slide function so you could cut up to 12" wide. It was only $200. Worked great.

8Up
06-25-2013, 9:00am
This?

Shop DEWALT 12-in 15 Amp Dual Bevel Slide Compound Miter Saw at Lowes.com (http://www.lowes.com/pd_357285-70-DWS780_0__?productId=3441818&Ntt=dewalt+miter&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Ddewalt%2Bmiter&facetInfo=)

Not unless Im misunderstanding what the bevel is, is that what they call the tilt angle? So a 'double bevel' means for example 45 degrees on the swivel and then 45deg on the tilt?

DAB
06-25-2013, 9:03am
Miter - horizontal
Bevel - vertical

8Up
06-25-2013, 9:04am
Miter - horizontal
Bevel - vertical

OOHHHhhhhh! That explains it. I thought all angled cuts were considered 'bevels'. Now I understand.

Thanks!:seasix:

This one should fit the bill then. If I were a pro I would go dual bevel.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-15-Amp-12-in-Heavy-Duty-Single-Bevel-Compound-Miter-Saw-DW715/100384715#.Ucmj0vnVCE8

Sea Six
06-25-2013, 12:04pm
A compound miter saw means it cuts two angles at the same time, allowing you to cut crown molding.

A miter saw only cuts one angle. No crown molding with this saw

mrvette
06-25-2013, 12:10pm
A compound miter saw means it cuts two angles at the same time, allowing you to cut crown molding.

A miter saw only cuts one angle. No crown molding with this saw

NOT quite true, I took a 2x4 on my small table saw, it's only 7.5" blade, and ripped a foot long piece on a 45 miter......took the two pieces and used them as holding pieces for the crown in my LR/HALL.....perfect fits....

but my chop saw is only a 10" both of my saws are about 30 years old, most of the new shit is much better and cheaper....but at my age, I not upgrading to do shit.....:leaving: