PDA

View Full Version : To the fatty running on the track this afternoon...

lspencer534
06-23-2013, 7:01pm
You, whose feet barely lift off the ground as you trudge around the track. You, who keeps to the outside track, footslogging in the wrong direction. You, who stops for water breaks every lap and who would probably stop twice if there were bleachers on both sides. You, whose gaze drops to your feet every time we pass. You, whose sweat drenches your body, after completing only a single, 20-minute mile.

There's something you should know: You ****ing rock.

Ever shallow step you take, you carry the weight of more than two of me, begging to be shaken off. Each lap you run, you're paying off the debt of another snack, another dessert, another beer. It's 93 degrees outside, and you haven't let that stop your regimen. This isn't your first day out here, and it won't be your last.

You run without music, and I can only imagine the mantras running through your mind as you heave your mass around the next lap. Let's go, feet. Shut up, legs. **** off, fat. If you'd only look up from your feet the next time we pass, you'd see my gaze has no condenscenscion in it. I have nothing but respect for you.

carlton_fritz
06-23-2013, 7:06pm
I'll look at you next time.:leaving:

99 pewtercoupe
06-23-2013, 7:10pm
What is the old saying... a journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step. Kudos to anyone that gets out there and takes that first and second and third and.....step. Everyone starts somewhere and people need encouragement not ridicule

John Wiz
06-23-2013, 7:18pm
:seasix::cert:

lspencer534
06-23-2013, 7:19pm
What is the old saying... a journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step. Kudos to anyone that gets out there and takes that first and second and third and.....step. Everyone starts somewhere and people need encouragement not ridicule

I have a neighbor who was just obese. She's in her 50s. Last Summer she started walking on my street. I'd see her, and she'd be red in the face and struggling to breathe. Many times I saw her sitting by the road catching her breath. I worried that she might die. She kept at it through that Summer, then the Fall, and Winter. Her walks got longer, her pace picked up, and the pounds began to shed.

Today, she's no skinny, but she has lost >100 pounds and still going at it. She just added many years to her life, and I'm proud of her.

Steve Austin
06-23-2013, 9:51pm
Reminds me of last winter after I got my leg rebuilt. Went to the mall to walk. 1/2 way into my lap a lady at least 75 years old passed me. About 10 minutes later she lapped me. I only made one lap that day.:banghead::banghead:

DAB
06-23-2013, 9:56pm
Last fall I was 291 and couldn't do 1/2 mile walking. I'm 238 and me and doggie do 4-7 walks a day.

FasterTraffic
06-23-2013, 10:28pm
I have tons more respect for people getting off their butts and doing something than those making excuses as to why they can't. :seasix:

This. :iagree:

Aerovette
06-23-2013, 10:50pm

Unfortunately for me, it starts with the turn of a key....and just when I thought there was hope, I find out Twinkies are coming back !!

73sbVert
06-24-2013, 12:14am
I was 190 about 3.5 months ago, now I'm at 158 (heading to 150 or so), running 2-3 times per week, weights, better diet, etc.

Almost 50 and in the best shape I've ever been in.

'77Babe
06-24-2013, 12:57am
Well said. Now go let him know in person. I'm sure it would really give him a boost. :seasix: