PDA

View Full Version : Kitchen Flooring Input Needed

StaticCling
06-23-2013, 10:05am
Long and Short, the wife and I are making some changes to our house...

We are re-flooring our Master Bedroom with a Laminate Wood type Floor (currently carpeted) and remodeling our Master Bathroom. Those two rooms are without a doubt the worst in the house, but we will have a little bit of extra cash to half arse the kitchen floor with linoleum (what it is currently), current kitchen floor is pretty bad.

Most of the house is original White Oak Hardwood Flooring, with the exception of our Main Living Room, which is Tiled. Somewhat of a Dark Brown Tile.

For the Kitchen, my wife likes a linoleum that matches (somewhat) the hardwood flooring in the rest of the house, it looks surprisingly like wood floor, but I am against this because I think a wood 'look' floor would be stupid looking for the kitchen. I am leaning toward a linoleum that looks more like tile.

Our budget is as follows:
6k for Bathroom Remodel
3k for Master Bedroom Flooring
1k for Kitchen Linoleum

I guess the question is what do you guys and gals think of a wood 'looking' floor for the kitchen? I personally don't like it.

FasterTraffic
06-23-2013, 10:10am
For the kitchen? Tile.

Cybercowboy
06-23-2013, 10:12am
Totally hate the wood-looking linoleum. I had that in my first house (came with the house), got rid of it and never looked back. Also ripped down the awful country-looking blue wallpaper with ducks.

We're doing a master suite remodel starting in about 5 weeks. It will suck very much having to live in our spare bedroom and being forced to use the small 2nd bathroom during this time. What will it cost? I'm afraid to think about it too much. We are replacing the carpet in the bedroom with high-quality engineered wood flooring. Make sure your flooring has a hardness number of at least 2000. You don't want stuff that gets scratched easily.

I despise linoleum, I'd recommend tile if you can swing it.

Mike Mercury
06-23-2013, 10:13am
Long and Short... Wood ...Hardwood ... like wood ... wood 'look' ... wood 'looking'

I think it best if you have Knooger stop by :leaving:

mrvette
06-23-2013, 10:30am
Linoleum will be fine over a wood/plywood floor, but if you going over concrete, I recommend ceramic tile....the reason is that down here in Florida anyway, the vinyl will shrink and peel up on the edges, come apart at any seams, and is about useless, lasts about two years at most....save up and do ceramic when time comes.....

simpleman68
06-23-2013, 10:41am
If you have oak in the kitchen as well it might be worth salvaging.
A good drum sander with multiple passes can fix a pretty fecked up floor.

If it's rotted then it wouldn't be worth it. Then again, you'd have to remove the rot and install a new subfloor to use with the vinyl.

If the wood is cupped you can cut across it at a 90 degree angle for the first pass. Then do a 45 degree pass and finish with the drum parallel to the boards.
I've saved some really bad floors with that method.

Feel free to give me a shout if you want to toss around any ideas.

I'm not a big fan of vinyl unless it's a rental property.
Scott

73sbVert
06-23-2013, 11:36am
I just replaced most of the floors in my house with Bedrosians tile, looks fantastic!

Here's what I installed:

Barrique : Vert - Bedrosians (http://www.bedrosians.com/catalog/m=Porcelain/s=Barrique/c=Vert)

It looks like real hardwood, but is a porcelain tile! Gorgeous!

A couple of pics of MY floor, even though I suck as a photographer!! It's hard to tell, but the surfaces of the tile are textured like wood is too, very realistic.

http://i475.photobucket.com/albums/rr112/PonchoTA/IMG_20130623_095652_182_zps3f10ff2c.jpg

http://i475.photobucket.com/albums/rr112/PonchoTA/IMG_20130623_095634_667_zpsb684628e.jpg

StaticCling
06-23-2013, 11:47am
I just replaced most of the floors in my house with Bedrosians tile, looks fantastic!

Here's what I installed:

Barrique : Vert - Bedrosians (http://www.bedrosians.com/catalog/m=Porcelain/s=Barrique/c=Vert)

It looks like real hardwood, but is a porcelain tile! Gorgeous!

That's really cool!

StaticCling
06-23-2013, 11:49am
I'm not a big fan of vinyl unless it's a rental property.
Scott

Which is a distinct possibility in the future. We might be moving back east to take care of the wife's folks within the next couple of years...

We have two other rental houses (one in Texas and one in North Carolina), considering our current LA,CA house is still worth about 60k less than what we paid for it, we might just rent it out. We aren't upside down though, so we might just unload it and take the hit. Cross that bridge when we get there...

'77Babe
06-24-2013, 1:29am
:waiting:

We just started remodeling the kitchen in the new house. First, I just wanted a new backsplash, but since we are at it and we noticed that the cheap tile is showing nicks (apparantly they are just coated with something to make them look like stone) I figured I'd rather spend a little more now and get it done.

I know that laminate can be used in kitchens, but somehow I just don't trust myself with it. Real wood flooring I feel would be too risky. We already fell in love with the wood imitation tile, but for the upstairs bath. Now I don't know if the coating might not start coming off. Bathroom should be ok, but the kitchen is a high traffic area. Linoloeum I really don't like.
I'm leaning towards tile. Easy to clean and I don't have to worry about spills. The kitchen countertops will be wood, so I've got my wood element already.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v249/Flapss/IMG_0477.jpg
The wallpaper is all gone now, will be making room for clay paint. The ugly ass tiles with the even uglier assed blue grout and silicone around the window is gone, will be replaced with a beige marble mosaik tile. The ceiling trim needs to at least be painted (it is now blue and pink!).
The only things we thought we were leaving was the ceiling (which I didn't really like) and the floor tiles (which he didn't like).

Cybercowboy
10-10-2013, 7:46am
Have you done anything yet?