PDA

View Full Version : How did you end up where you are now?

Munch
10-27-2009, 5:46pm
Not your life situation but your location.

I am from Michigan and lived there until almost 2 years ago when my wife and I decided to try a new place. I wanted to move to New Mexico so we spent a week in Albuquerque driving around exploring and fell in love with the place. My wife has this job where they have lots of job postings all over the country but wouldn't you know it no openings in New Mexico.:banghead: So we decided on North Carolina and my wife fly down to interview for the position.

Well, while my wife was in NC the head of the eastern region whom she had worked with in New Jersey heard she was applying for said position and flew down to talk to her. Long story not so long he wanted her to work in Virginia Beach, VA. So she called me up and said it was either VA Beach or we stay put. So against my better judgment I now live in Suffolk about 30 minutes outside of VA Beach. I still want to move to NM but we are gonna stay here for a little while (not too long I hope).

We are going to move to Australia in a couple years because my wife is from Australia and wants to move back home. we are waiting for my dog to die cuz he is old and probably couldn't handle the flight and 2 months of quarantine.

That's me story, what's yours?

Entropy
10-27-2009, 5:49pm
I'm a born and bred 'sconi (WI). Hometown is Chippewa Falls. Home of Leinenkugels and Cray Supercomputers. I went to undergrad in Eau Claire, and ended up landing a full ride to Iowa State for grad school. Burned out after 2 years and got out with an MS. Ended up in Stevens Point, but needed a better job. Found the one currently in BFE, i.e. Mason City, IA. I'm looking to get out of here again, and I'm eyeing up Winona, MN right now.

oyealiz
10-27-2009, 5:56pm
I'm a professor and took a position here in the Houston area.

I have moved several times with my work, which has allowed me both to make more $ and to have friends all over! :)

CertInsaneC5
10-27-2009, 5:59pm
Born and raised Hoosier here.

Still live in the same town I was born in. Purdue grad, BSME. Managed to land a great job here and just climbed the ladder through the years.

Most of my family is here. But I would love to relocate to someplace warmer. Not going to happen anytime soon though. Parents are getting older and I want to stay close to them for the next 5-10 years.

snide
10-27-2009, 6:11pm
Some idiot offered me a job in the land of massholes, and I took it. Moved to MA, then the project moved to Cow Hampshire. When the lease was up on the apartment I was renting, I moved to Cow Hampshire.

After 1 1/2 years on the job, I was offered another job, in the consulting business. Worked for that company a few years and bought a townhouse in Cow Hampshire. Then that job went bust. Started working independently, bought another house in Cow Hampshire, out in the country.

Had considered moving to TX earlier this year, but my ex-girlfriend, Liz, found some other dude so there's no point in moving somewhere else right now.

:D

oyealiz
10-27-2009, 6:14pm
Some idiot offered me a job in the land of massholes, and I took it. Moved to MA, then the project moved to Cow Hampshire. When the lease was up on the apartment I was renting, I moved to Cow Hampshire.

After 1 1/2 years on the job, I was offered another job, in the consulting business. Worked for that company a few years and bought a townhouse in Cow Hampshire. Then that job went bust. Started working independently, bought another house in Cow Hampshire, out in the country.

Had considered moving to TX earlier this year, but my ex-girlfriend, Liz, found some other dude so there's no point in moving somewhere else right now.

:smilelol::smilelol::smilelol:

Vet4jdc
10-27-2009, 6:16pm
Moved from the south-western part of Virginia for work in 1986. Landed a job in Norfolk, Virginia. Been living in Virginia Beach ever since!

TR6speed
10-27-2009, 6:18pm
I grew up in Chicago (great city), but while I was overseas in the Navy, in 1968 my parents moved to Clearwater Florida. I was not too sure of following them once I was discharged. I was on a 30 day leave after we returned to the states and I went to Chicago for a week to see some friends. It was January and it was during an extreme cold spell. I was having second thoughts about going down to Florida after my first week, so I decided to call and tell my parents that I was staying in Chicago for another week. Well I asked what they were doing (trying to get the courage to tell them) and my father said sitting out in the Florida room. I asked what that was and when he told me I ask what the temp was. He said about 80. I than told him my flight was due in around 11 am the next day. I thought I would get out of the cold of Chicago and enjoy some warm weather before I went back to my base for my last year. If I did not like the area, then I knew when I was discharged in a year I would simply head back to Chicago.

The decision to follow them down here is what also got me into Corvettes. My father bought a gas station, the old type, where we pumped the gas and did service work. Well as it turns out, one of his customers owned a 1966 Sebring Silver 427/425 roadster and wanted to sell it. My father knowing I was due home in a few months bought it. When I was going through the house, I came to the door that leads to the garage. My father said, "go ahead open it" and there was the vette. I thought it possibly belonged to a customer and asked who’s that is. His reply was the keys are in it if I want it. Did not take me long to think that over. Well needless to say I like the area and besides the vette was there waiting for me and I could drive it year around. So I have been here 40 years.

jeff w
10-27-2009, 6:57pm
Born and raised here in Northern California. Tried out Eugene, OR. from 3/07 to 6/09 and moved back to Nor Cal. Was in Grass Valley, which is in the gold country foothills of the Sierra Nevadas. Now I'm a little NE of Sacramento. I would like to be in the bay area but it's way too freaking expensive.

BuckyThreadkiller
10-27-2009, 6:57pm
The wife wanted to live in the country and raise horses.

I figured it would be cheaper than a divorce. Boy was I wrong.

snide
10-27-2009, 6:58pm
The wife wanted to live in the country and raise horses.

I figured it would be cheaper than a divorce. Boy was I wrong.

:smilelol::smilelol::smilelol::smilelol::smilelol:

Neutron
10-27-2009, 7:04pm
Born on Marine Corps base Camp Lejeune. Moved to Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center in Twentynine Palms, CA. Then Moved to Marine Corps Air Station in Yuma, AZ. Started working Plumb Construction there and then moved to Albuquerque, NM where I got my Plumbing license at 20 and have been working ever since. Getting my Contractors license soon and will be starting a plumbing business soon afterwards. :cool:

Lowcash
10-27-2009, 7:11pm
Grew up in Gloucester
Went to school @ ODU
ODU and I had a mutual understanding that "my grades were not satisfactory to continue my educational goals with them." :rofl:
Got a gov't contract job and clearance in Va. Beach.
Contract ended 2 years later
I was 'requested' to work on a new contract in NoVA ... and this is where I have been since 2002.

oyealiz
10-27-2009, 7:17pm

o wait...Snide??? Is that you? Or someone else??? :skep:

snide
10-27-2009, 7:20pm
****, looks like someone hacked my account. :willy:

oyealiz
10-27-2009, 7:21pm
****, looks like someone hacked my account. :willy:

:lol:

Get control, man!

Stop the hacker!

Hey, let's do dinner and see who leaves this time.

snide
10-27-2009, 7:24pm
:lol:

Get control, man!

Stop the hacker!

Hey, let's do dinner and see who leaves this time.

Excellent plan. Who should be the guest of honor this time?

oyealiz
10-27-2009, 7:26pm
Excellent plan. Who should be the guest of honor this time?

You mean the guest of dis-honor?

Sneaks
10-27-2009, 7:34pm
Born and raised in Kentucky. Joined the Army at 20. After basic and AIT, I got stationed at Fort Ritchie, here in MD.
After 4 years, I got out. Instead of moving back home, I stayed here with my girlfriend(now wife).
Been in this he!!hole of a state ever since. I've made some good friends, but not happy with the state at all. Too many dam liberals here for me! A few more years, and I'm outa here. Arizona, Florida, I don't care. Just somewhere I'll never be cold again. :D

DropTheTop
10-27-2009, 7:38pm
Born and raised in Kentucky. Joined the Army at 20. After basic and AIT, I got stationed at Fort Ritchie, here in MD.
After 4 years, I got out. Instead of moving back home, I stayed here with my girlfriend(now wife).
Been in this he!!hole of a state ever since. I've made some good friends, but not happy with the state at all. Too many dam liberals here for me! A few more years, and I'm outa here. Arizona, Florida, I don't care. Just somewhere I'll never be cold again. :D

Yeah, my state blows as well. Thanks for your service. :flag: Have some Rep on me. :shake:

No fancy story for me. Went to school near home, found first job (still there 13 years later) near home, moved out 6 miles from home. Someday the GF and I want to move to N. or S. Carolina, buy some serious property and just chill. Gotta wait for her Niece to be born (next month) and grow up some! :D

VatorMan
10-27-2009, 7:57pm
Born in BFE Texas (near Dallas). Had a full ride scholarship to Texas Tech and decided to join the Navy when I graduated. Boot in San Diego,A School in Waukegan :banghead: Illinios and Nuclear Power School in Orlando. Decided Nuclear power wasn't my bag-so dropped out and headed to the fleet. Vallejo Ca. was my first port. Spent 11 years on the left coast loving life. Went to C7 school at Waukegan :banghead: Illinios and got transfered to Norfolk Va. Did one year and got the FO of the Navy. Found a job in Baltimore working and inspecting cranes. I guess when I was at Dulles Airport in February at the end of a 170 ft tal,l 70 ft. span tower crane inspecting the sheeve, I decided there were better ways to make a living. Found a position as an elevator mechanic at NIST in Gaithersburg MD,and have been here ever since.

SNEAKS-Frederick county is Texas compared to Montgomery county. They don't call us Kalifornia east for nothing. :cuss:

Defib1961
10-27-2009, 7:59pm
Apparently when I was much younger I committed some horrible crime and I was banished to Stephenville Texas. Home of wanna be cowboys, real cowboys, toothless hillbillies and some say the occasional UFO.

Neutron
10-27-2009, 8:01pm
Apparently when I was much younger I committed some horrible crime and I was banished to Stephenville Texas. Home of wanna be cowboys, real cowboys, toothless hillbillies and some say the occasional UFO.

Great avatar, dude. Pictures of that dog always kill me. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Me2
10-27-2009, 8:15pm
Born and raised in some small town about 30 minutes from Pittsburgh, PA. Moved across the border into Garret County, MD and started working for Bausch & Lomb. When they closed the plant, I transferred to San Antonio then moved to Carrollton, TX to work for my old Ops Mgr who went to a company in Denton. Got layed off there and moved to Bedford for a few years and ended up in Fort Worth. I love it here but the next and final move, once the boy is older and on his own, will probably be to Costa Rica or somewhere near there.

thegreenman
10-27-2009, 8:22pm
Raised in small town in Maine, joined the Air Force and traveled around quite a bit averaging a move every two years. My last assignment was to Virginia where I retired in 2005. My youngest is a Freshman in college now and I will decided what I am going to after he graduates college.

GB Vette
10-27-2009, 8:31pm
Born in KC a long time ago. My Dad was in construction we moved around alot. Spent most of my childhood in KC, Tulsa and a couple of other cities in the Midwest. Been in VA. since my early teens.

Retired Civil Service now working for the government as an IT Senior Consultant.

I like this area and will probably stay right here close to the Barn :D

Neutron
10-27-2009, 8:31pm
Born in KC a long time ago. My Dad was in construction we moved around alot. Spent most of my childhood in KC, Tulsa and a couple of other cities in the Midwest. Been in VA. since my early teens.

Retired Civil Service now working for the government as an IT Senior Consultant.

I like this area and will probably stay right here close to the Barn :D

I knew it. :D

Z51 Silver Surfer
10-27-2009, 8:40pm
Grew up in VA Beach then joined the Marine Corps and was stationed in Hawaii my first enlistment. The second enlistment was stationed at Quantico VA. Seperated in 2007 got a job as a contractor and live in Fredericksburg ever since. Would like to end up back in VA Beach one of these days!!

Y2Kvert4me
10-27-2009, 8:45pm
I knew it. :DWhat, that Gary is not a native east-coaster? :D

I grew up 10 mins away from where I live now. Never moved around much.
Still employed at the place I got a PT job at when I was in high school. That was 23 years ago. Never really found a reason or the ambition to leave I guess.

:cheers:

Neutron
10-27-2009, 8:46pm
What, that Gary is not a native east-coaster? :D

I grew up 10 mins away from where I live now. Never moved around much.
Still employed at the place I got a PT job at when I was in high school. That was 23 years ago. Never really found a reason or the ambition to leave I guess.

:cheers:

Lucky. I have to admit I miss Yuma, AZ alot. :(

pat balch
10-27-2009, 8:53pm
Wife and I were both born and raised in tx. We moved to Castle Rock, CO for my work and I fell in love with it. My wife did NOT. After 2 years she decided I wanted to move back to texas so we are in Grapevine near family and friends.

Could be worse.

Woody
10-27-2009, 10:06pm
I was born and lived in northern Louisiana until i was 5 y.o. We moved to Columbus Ohio where I lived until 3 years ago when we moved to Hawaii. No plans of moving back to the mainland any time soon.

Cobra4B
10-27-2009, 10:20pm
1. Born in Walnut Creek, CA

2. Moved to Warren, NJ at the age of 4

3. Moved to Fairfax Station, VA at 12

3. Went to William & Mary in Williamsburg, VA and graduated in 2003.

4. Moved to Va Beach because thats where a few of my college friends grew up and I liked it when I visited. Had no job lined up and was going to sell cars and live w/ my friends. Ended up getting a good position w/ GEICO in Va Beach before graduation.

I've lived in Va Beach ever since and bought a house in 2004. Changed jobs a few times. Sometimes I wish I hadn't saddled myself w/ a car payment and a mortgage so early in life and had traveled more, but everytime I travel I realize the grass is alway greener.

Not sure what I want to do next... maybe get an MBA.

Firevette
10-27-2009, 11:22pm
Nothing exciting here.

I made it as far as the south side of town (Texas City) then moved back to north Houston, then back to Spring. Im now on the north side of Spring,Tx.....5 min from the house I grew up in, my dad still lives there.

boracayjohnny
10-27-2009, 11:39pm
I grew up in Northern La where you can disappear from the face of the Earth very easily. I figured I wanted more in a town than a Sonic (drive in) and a video store. Hello USAF. I've travelled a pretty good bit including living in the Philippines for four years. A t-d-y (temporary duty) to Holland was also a fun time. The flip side is a vacation to places on everyones list; Oman, Saudia Arabia, Iraq, and Afghanistan. Along the way, I met a pretty cool lady and the wife and I currently put our shtuffs in Vegas. We got tired of the cold in Northern Utah. We might stay here a while....unless we get a hankering for somewhere else. :D

Zed16
10-27-2009, 11:50pm
Born in Caldwell, TX. 5th Generation Texian and all that stuff.

Graduated and moved north to the Greater Forth Worth / Dallas area to make a livin', and found found my lovely, car obsessed, bride. Nonstop excitement ever since... :party::party:

Neutron
10-27-2009, 11:52pm
Born in Caldwell, TX. 5th Generation Texian and all that stuff.

Graduated and moved north to the Greater Forth Worth / Dallas area to make a livin', and found found my lovely, car obsessed, bride. Nonstop excitement ever since... :party::party:

Welcome Zed, quality first post. :cheers:

I think I recognize you from BCF. :cool:

MYSCZ06
10-28-2009, 12:49am
I only have one person to blame for where I am now and that is Uncle Sam!!!

WKMCD
10-28-2009, 5:46am
I was born in Mass but the family moved to the DC area when I was very young. I was raised in Northern VA and so was my wife. Went away to school in NY and NM and we lived in Annapolis for 10 years after we got married. We moved back to the Fairfax area when the kids got to be school age - schools in Annapolis suck. Six years ago we built a house on a golf course out a little farther still in NoVa.

If I had to do it all over again, I would have left this area before I got my career going and business started. I can't wait to retire and move south.

Yamma
10-28-2009, 6:21am
Born in New Jersey and lived there a few years until my dad was transferred to the metro Atlanta area. Lived in GA for about 22 years. Then I met Dixie and he talked me into moving to Nashville.

Atlanta blows.

NikiQ
10-28-2009, 6:35am
Born a fifth generation St. Louis, Missourian, then as a child was moved to Ogallala, Nebraska, then Minnesota. I returned to Missouri to go to college, then after graduation, started my career teaching in a little town in the Ozarks. A friend of mine from school helped me move to Texas, where I met my non-car obsessed husband who supports my habit. I realize I am a Texan, I just wasn't born here.

09CTSV
10-28-2009, 8:12pm
Born in Bay City MI, lived in Belleville MI, Lake Orion MI until 81 when I joined the Navy and moved to VA Beach. Spent 22 years in the Navy all stationed in Norfolk. Left VA Beach in 04 for a job in the great state of Indiana. Currently we reside outside a small town called Boonville which is attempting a hostile take over of our small part of the county.

thegreenman
10-28-2009, 8:42pm
Born in Bay City MI, lived in Belleville MI, Lake Orion MI until 81 when I joined the Navy and moved to VA Beach. Spent 22 years in the Navy all stationed in Norfolk. Left VA Beach in 04 for a job in the great state of Indiana. Currently we reside outside a small town called Boonville which is attempting a hostile take over of our small part of the county.

I am assuming you joined the Nave when 18, not 81. :lol:

Skia
10-28-2009, 8:48pm
Carolinan buy birth and southern by the brace of Gawd.

Parents moved from Hickory NC when I was 2 to the little burg in BFE Piedmont area of The tarheel state. I was never smart enough to leave.

Cobra4B
10-29-2009, 8:44am
I am assuming you joined the Nave when 18, not 81. :lol:
I think he meant 1981.

thegreenman
10-29-2009, 9:58am
I think he meant 1981.

That would make sense also.

zz4vetteguy
10-29-2009, 7:59pm
Born and Raised right here in Virginia Beach, as was my father. Went to the same HS that my father went to...and had some of the same teachers my father had (and my father said they were old when he was there)

Went to ODU to study Instrumental Music Education, then changed my major to Computer Science, then Mass Communication, then Vocal Music Education, the a duel major in Vocal & Instrumental Music Education...until I noticed that the number of performance classes I was taking was FAR out numbering my educational classes (my last semester I was taking 19 hours worth of performing ensembles and no "regular" classes), and decided to bow out gracefully and stopped before I spent a fortune paying to do something that I could get paid to be doing.

So here I am, still living in Virginia Beach, working in Chesapeake, leaving my mark on a lot of roads in Hampton Roads. :D

DropTheTop
10-29-2009, 8:03pm
Born and Raised right here in Virginia Beach, as was my father. Went to the same HS that my father went to...and had some of the same teachers my father had (and my father said they were old when he was there)

Went to ODU to study Instrumental Music Education, then changed my major to Computer Science, then Mass Communication, then Vocal Music Education, the a duel major in Vocal & Instrumental Music Education...until I noticed that the number of performance classes I was taking was FAR out numbering my educational classes (my last semester I was taking 19 hours worth of performing ensembles and no "regular" classes), and decided to bow out gracefully and stopped before I spent a fortune paying to do something that I could get paid to be doing.

So here I am, still living in Virginia Beach, working in Chesapeake, leaving my mark on a lot of roads in Hampton Roads. :D

But how does your day job fit in to all of that?

zz4vetteguy
10-29-2009, 8:09pm
But how does your day job fit in to all of that?

With all the military bases here and the Military School Of Music based out of Little Creek, it is hard to find a regular paying music gig without a teaching degree.

I used to be a Collections and Repo Manager before the company I worked for outsourced it and cut my department, and I knew NOTHING about transportation before I started, but 14 months later, here I am a department head...:bilmem:

Munch
10-29-2009, 8:23pm
Thanks everyone for the cool storys. Nice to know a bit about you all.