PDA

View Full Version : Hmmmm...May have to make this one

VatorMan
04-30-2013, 5:53am
Of course, like any technical institution we have regular Colloquiums. Most are far above my head and I pass on them. This Friday looks very interesting.

Dear Colleagues,
I am pleased to announce that Tony DeRose, Senior Scientist and Research Group Lead at Pixar Animation Studios, will be our Colloquium Speaker this Friday at 10:30 AM. Dr. DeRose will speak to us about the revolution in film driven by advances in computer technology, geometry, and applied mathematics. Using numerous examples drawn from Pixar's feature films, Dr. DeRose will provide a behind-the-scenes look at the role that math is playing in the revolution. With a background in computer science and physics, Dr. DeRose has major achievements in computer graphics and surface representations for film. He will also discuss his involvement in several initiatives to inspire students in math, science, and engineering disciplines.
Due to high interest in Dr. DeRose’s talk, this week’s colloquium has been moved to the Red Auditorium (VTC to Boulder 1-1107 and HML B120) to ensure that there will be room for everyone who wants to attend.
This talk will not be archived. So you’ll need to come out in person to hear about “math in the movies”!
Looking forward to seeing you there on Friday.

Bingo Fuel
04-30-2013, 8:44am
Interesting that a symposium regarding such a highly technical subject
would not take advantage of existing simple webcast and video archiving technology.

It almost sounds like they're more interested in making money selling tickets rather than sharing the presentation
with a wider audience that could watch from anywhere in the world, (after the live presentation).
I'm sure most of the deep math would go over my head, but I'd be interested in viewing his talk.

RenderMan is Pixar's existing animation rendering software that integrates into Maya (3D animation software).
If you had $3,600 for Maya, and an additional $2000 for RenderMan Studio, you could theoretically make some pretty cool
'Pixar like' animation at home.

I'm surprised that the software is that reasonably priced.

VatorMan
04-30-2013, 8:48am
Interesting that a symposium regarding such a highly technical subject
would not take advantage of existing simple webcast and video archiving technology.

It almost sounds like they're more interested in making money selling tickets rather than sharing the presentation
with a wider audience that could watch from anywhere in the world, (after the live presentation).
I'm sure most of the deep math would go over my head, but I'd be interested in viewing his talk.

RenderMan is Pixar's existing animation rendering software that integrates into Maya (3D animation software).
If you had $3,600 for Maya, and an additional $2000 for RenderMan Studio, you could theoretically make some pretty cool animation at home.

I'm surprised that the software is that reasonably priced.

This is a free Colloquium-no ticket needed. We have entire buildings and groups dealing with Physics, Math, and pretty much every science. They have these discussions all the time.

National Institute of Standards and Technology (http://www.nist.gov/index.html)

xXBUDXx
04-30-2013, 9:13am
That will be an incredible experience!

C5SilverBullet
04-30-2013, 9:16am
That will be an incredible experience!

:iagree: