PDA

View Full Version : Flash

Grey Ghost
04-14-2013, 8:30pm
So, I dug out my Canon 540ez flash unit. I've never used it on a DSLR. Any tips for setup ? Anything I need to do in the custom menu functions ? My main reason is the opportunity to shoot some cars cruising at night. They should be cruising fairly slow and with the aid or not of street lights. I doubt it will have enough range to be useful. Just want to try it out on the DSLR.

Giraffe (He/Him)
04-15-2013, 4:56am
Find the menu for second curtain sync. You're gonna want it for moving subjects. Aperture Priority is OK, but your dealing with very little light here so you'll have to run your film speed up a bunch.

Second curtain sync is the big thing here. You want the light trails AFTER the car.

Or? Full manual mode on flash and camera WITH second curtain sync. (I'd go this route personally)

Giraffe (He/Him)
04-15-2013, 3:32pm
Here's an example. I was trying this out one night.
http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj280/Dilemma_1962/Corvettes-SCS_zps5782eb4c.jpg

:cert:

Grey Ghost
04-15-2013, 4:46pm
Thanks. I looked up the info and I can change to 2nd curtain. on the flash itself.

My other problem is getting good auto focus with the low light and hand held.

Nice capture. I like the 'motion'. :seasix:

Giraffe (He/Him)
04-15-2013, 5:34pm
My other problem is getting good auto focus with the low light and hand held.
I had the 20D. The newer camera's have REALLY addressed the low light focusing. (I know that doesn't do you a lot of good)

Grey Ghost
04-15-2013, 7:34pm
I hope to upgrade to a 30d someday :D