PDA

View Full Version : Do you have any honey bees this year?

lspencer534
04-11-2013, 6:08pm
I have seen none, and I haven't for the last several years. I'm relying on mason (carpenter) bees to pollinate my garden and fruit trees, but they don't seem to be as nearly as industrious as honey bees. I see a few of them (mason bees) at various times of the day, not hundreds or thousands as I did with honey bees.

It's been at least 10 years since I've seen a swarm of honey bees around the house, and that was a very small colony that camped on a tree for a few hours before they disappeared. I read that a very few States are offering incentives for people to keep honey bees, but Virginia, for example, is eliminating its program due to budget cuts.

Most of you are familiar with something called "Colony Collapse Disorder", caused by a bacteria or virus that kills the bee colony. It's estimated that we've lost over 60% of our bees. Without honey bees we can't grow fruits and vegetables...simple as that.

OddBall
04-11-2013, 6:09pm
Start a hive.

mrvette
04-11-2013, 6:30pm
Wooden surprise ME one damn bit but that some commie/terrorist groups have figgered out some way to kill off the bees.....

and us too.....

introduce some crap from overseas....maybe some chem, or maybe some home grown virus....

:issues:

carlton_fritz
04-11-2013, 6:46pm
Spring finally arrived and already seen some.

Jeff '79
04-11-2013, 7:31pm
Wooden surprise ME one damn bit but that some commie/terrorist groups have figgered out some way to kill off the bees.....

and us too.....

introduce some crap from overseas....maybe some chem, or maybe some home grown virus....

:issues:

:seasix:

Jeff '79
04-11-2013, 7:35pm
I have as many as you need. Come and get 'em.... They are now officially eradicated from my barn...:hurray::hurray:
Little bastards can suck eggs for all I care.
The north has plenty of bees and honey...:rofl:
We won the Civil War too !!! Suckas !!!:woohoo:

lspencer534
04-11-2013, 8:12pm
I have as many as you need. Come and get 'em.... They are now officially eradicated from my barn...:hurray::hurray:
Little bastards can suck eggs for all I care.
The north has plenty of bees and honey...:rofl:
We won the Civil War too !!! Suckas !!!:woohoo:

25+ years ago I felt the same as you do about honey bees: A colony built a nest in the eaves of my house on the second floor, and the little bastards got everywhere inside my house; their favorite room was the master bathroom. I finally got a beekeeper to move them...and I had a great supply of honey that the beekeeper found.

Now, though, I wish I still had some bees. I worry that they'll become extinct...then we'll be in a helluva mess. Bumble bees are supposedly better pollinators, but they have never been plentiful.

Honey here is very expensive, like $6.00 for 6 ounces. You used to be able to choose which type of honey you wanted: Made by bees who frequented lavender bushes, wildflowers, honeysuckle, etc. Now it's just..."Honey".

Oh...congrats on winning the Civil War. You, too, now have to share in paying for the South's illiteracy rate, obesity, infant mortality, poverty, diabetes, and on and on.

LisaJohn
04-11-2013, 8:16pm
I've seen the big carpenter bees this year. I'll watch closer for the honey bees. The man that had 3 hives on the back of our property moved them a few weeks ago. I have about half a quart jar of honey left from those hives. I wish he would have left them on our property.

JRD77VET
04-11-2013, 8:18pm
25+ years ago I felt the same as you do about honey bees: A colony built a nest in the eaves of my house on the second floor, and the little bastards got everywhere inside my house; their favorite room was the master bathroom. I finally got a beekeeper to move them...and I had a great supply of honey that the beekeeper found.

Now, though, I wish I still had some bees. I worry that they'll become extinct...then we'll be in a helluva mess. Bumble bees are supposedly better pollinators, but they have never been plentiful.

Honey here is very expensive, like $6.00 for 6 ounces. You used to be able to choose which type of honey you wanted: Made by bees who frequented lavender bushes, wildflowers, honeysuckle, etc. Now it's just..."Honey".

Oh...congrats on winning the Civil War. You, too, now have to share in paying for the South's illiteracy rate, obesity, infant mortality, poverty, diabetes, and on and on.

You forgot about the elephant medical expenses :yesnod:
the one that got shot in a driveby shooting

Jeff '79
04-11-2013, 8:21pm

Ya, what a bunch of poor, dumb, fat, unhealthy bastards they are, south of the Mason Dixon line.:rofl:
BTW...A bunch of us were sitting around at work today mocking southerners out because we kicked their asses so bad in the Civil War.
We do this almost daily because we are so proud of ourselves...:seasix:

Jeff '79
04-11-2013, 8:23pm
I've seen the big carpenter bees this year. I'll watch closer for the honey bees. The man that had 3 hives on the back of our property moved them a few weeks ago. I have about half a quart jar of honey left from those hives. I wish he would have left them on our property.

The guy next door has bee hives in boxes on our property line...
We get a large canning jar of great honey for $8.00..:seasix:

LisaJohn
04-11-2013, 8:25pm
We got free honey. And it was local.

Jeff '79
04-11-2013, 8:27pm
We got free honey. And it was local.

Free is good ! Ours is local too...:seasix:

LisaJohn
04-11-2013, 8:30pm
Honey is supposed to help with allergies when it's local. I hate that he moved the hives.

Jeff '79
04-11-2013, 8:31pm
Honey is supposed to help with allergies when it's local. I hate that he moved the hives.

I never heard of that....Interesting.

LisaJohn
04-11-2013, 8:34pm
Supposed to help build up immunity to the pollens. That's why local honey is better.

lspencer534
04-11-2013, 8:37pm

True. Honey has great healing power. Plus, it's the only food that never "goes bad". It's sterile, and it keeps forever. Even honey found in the tombs of Pharaohs can be eaten. Watch out for the scarabs, though.

Bill
04-11-2013, 8:39pm
I saw a sign advertising local honey for sale. They looked at me funny when I asked what she looked like.

Bingo Fuel
04-11-2013, 8:55pm
I've noticed a big decline around here in the last several years.

A local guy had 7 live hives through the fall and harvested 300 lbs of honey last year.
He is currently down to 3 hives.
The State dept of Agriculture is going to investigate to see if they can
determine whether the die-off was caused by suspected garden insecticides
or mites.

onedef92
04-12-2013, 11:44am
They seem to be as scarce as hen's teeth locally, too. A lot of our seasonal wild bird residents like Brown Thrashers and Catbirds seem to be on the wane, too.

99 pewtercoupe
04-12-2013, 11:53am
Dear EarthTalk: What is causing the dramatic decline in honeybee populations in the U.S. and elsewhere in recent years, and what is being done about it?
-- James Harris, Akron, Ohio

Kids everywhere may revel in the fact that bees are no longer stinging them as frequently on playgrounds and in backyards, but the decline in honeybee populations in the U.S. and elsewhere signals a major environmental imbalance that could have far-reaching implications for our agricultural food supply.

The Importance of Honeybees
Brought here from Europe in the 1600s, honeybees have become widespread across North America and are bred commercially for their abilities to produce honey and pollinate crops—90 different farm-grown foods, including many fruits and nuts, depend on honeybees. But in recent years honeybee populations across the continent have plummeted by as much as 70 percent, and biologists are still scratching their heads as to why and what to do about the problem which they have termed “colony collapse disorder” (CCD).

Chemicals May Be Killing the Honeybees
Many believe that our increasing use of chemical pesticides and herbicides, which honeybees ingest during their daily pollination rounds, are largely to blame. Commercial beehives are also subjected to direct chemical fumigation at regular intervals to ward off destructive mites. Another leading suspect is genetically modified crops, which may generate pollen with compromised nutritional value.

It may be that the build-up of both synthetic chemicals and genetically modified crop pollen has reached a “tipping point,” stressing bee populations to the point of collapse. Lending credence to this theory is that organic bee colonies, where chemicals and genetically modified crops are avoided, are not experiencing the same kind of catastrophic collapses, according to the non-profit Organic Consumers Association.

Radiation May Push Honeybees Off Course
Bee populations may also be vulnerable to other factors, such as the recent increase in atmospheric electromagnetic radiation as a result of growing numbers of cell phones and wireless communication towers. The increased radiation given off by such devices may interfere with bees’ ability to navigate. A small study at Germany’s Landau University found that bees would not return to their hives when mobile phones were placed nearby. Further research is currently underway in the U.S. to determine the extent of such radiation-related phenomena on bees and other insect populations.

Global Warming May Be Partly to Blame for Honeybee Deaths
Biologists also wonder if global warming may be exaggerating the growth rates of pathogens such as the mites, viruses and fungi that are known to take their toll on bee colonies. The unusual hot-and-cold winter weather fluctuations in recent years, also blamed on global warming, may also be wreaking havoc on bee populations accustomed to more consistent seasonal weather patterns.

Scientists Still Searching for Cause of Honeybee Colony Collapse Disorder
A recent gathering of leading bee biologists yielded no consensus, but most agree that a combination of factors is likely to blame. “We’re going to see a lot of money poured into this problem,” says University of Maryland entomologist Galen Dively, one of the nation’s leading bee researchers. He reports that the federal government plans an allocation of $80 million to fund research in connection with CCD. “What we’re looking for,” Dively says, “is some commonality which can lead us to a cause.”

Bingo Fuel
04-12-2013, 12:19pm

The Importance of Honeybees
Brought here from Europe in the 1600s, honeybees have become widespread across North America and are bred commercially for their abilities to produce honey and pollinate crops—90 different farm-grown foods, including many fruits and nuts, depend on honeybees. But in recent years honeybee populations across the continent have plummeted by as much as 70 percent, and biologists are still scratching their heads as to why and what to do about the problem which they have termed “colony collapse disorder” (CCD).

:yesnod: :cert:

About 75% of all crops require pollination of some sort.
Some parts of China have seen their bee populations decimated.
They've resorted to manually pollinating apple and pear crops with brushes.
There's no way humans could attempt to replicate what bees and other
insects do on a large scale.
I better stock up on MREs :Jeff '79:

island14
04-13-2013, 2:38am
The guy next door has bee hives in boxes on our property line...
We get a large canning jar of great honey for $8.00..:seasix:

I can't remember ever seeing any bees around here, but every now and then a guy comes by the house with a bucket full of honey, and sells it for 80 peso for a empty Rhum bottle full :seasix:

(about $2)

I ran out of nestea a few weeks back, so made myself a few Rhum and Honey mixes.. not bad!.. :yesnod:

78SA
04-13-2013, 6:11am
Monsanto.

carlton_fritz
04-13-2013, 5:52pm
http://i47.tinypic.com/969gd3.jpg

lspencer534
04-13-2013, 6:05pm
http://i47.tinypic.com/969gd3.jpg

I'm glad to see that your dandelion has been pollinated....:leaving:

xXBUDXx
04-13-2013, 6:37pm
No honey bees, but the carpenter bee population is out of control.

mrvette
04-13-2013, 6:56pm
No honey bees, but the carpenter bee population is out of control.

Last summer not so bad on the carpenter bees, and they easy to kill off....

IF you catch them going into the hole....or just getting lucky and spraying a hole....

:dance:

BuckyThreadkiller
04-13-2013, 7:12pm
Still around here - Posted today on the local news site. -

Pickup Truck on Highway Creates Buzz | NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth (http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/weird/Pickup-Truck-on-Highway-Creates-Buzz-202796591.html?_osource=SocialFlowFB_DFWBrand)

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/536518_10151423758352690_228950218_n.jpg

carlton_fritz
04-13-2013, 7:13pm
I'm glad to see that your dandelion has been pollinated....:leaving:
that was at a state park. Temps in the 50's and windy, but the bees were out pollinating.

Torqaholic
04-13-2013, 7:17pm
Still too early here to see any bees. We had snow and ice day before yesterday.

We've had a lack of bees the last few years. I've been pollinating by hand. Need to do this anyway if you don't want cross-pollination. Otherwise there's no telling what your seeds will produce the next year.

That's not always a bad thing though. I grew some patty pan squash crossed with honeydew melon (as near as I can tell) last year. That was pretty good stuff.

lspencer534
04-13-2013, 8:22pm
Still too early here to see any bees. We had snow and ice day before yesterday.

We've had a lack of bees the last few years. I've been pollinating by hand. Need to do this anyway if you don't want cross-pollination. Otherwise there's no telling what your seeds will produce the next year.

That's not always a bad thing though. I grew some patty pan squash crossed with honeydew melon (as near as I can tell) last year. That was pretty good stuff.

I do understand that you can get some "interesting" combinations from hand-pollination, but I don't think the grocery store crowd will be pleased....

VatorMan
04-13-2013, 8:59pm
$9 for medium jar of local honey. About 12 oz. it's getting pretty serious here about the bees.

carlton_fritz
04-13-2013, 9:39pm
$9 for medium jar of local honey. About 12 oz. it's getting pretty serious here about the bees.
Picked up a quart for $9.50 today.

Mrs. Colleen
04-13-2013, 9:50pm
We have lots of honey bees here! At preschool we have to warn the kids to wear shoes in the area of the lawn that has little clover flowers.

My friend just recently did some bee keeping locally and gave me some of the honey...so delicious!!! Best I have ever had!

Still around here - Posted today on the local news site. -

Pickup Truck on Highway Creates Buzz | NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth (http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/weird/Pickup-Truck-on-Highway-Creates-Buzz-202796591.html?_osource=SocialFlowFB_DFWBrand)

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/536518_10151423758352690_228950218_n.jpg
I just learned recently that if you have a problem with bees you can post it up on Craigslist and a local beekeeper will gladly come collect them. Makes sense but something I had never thought about.

Ms.Gem
04-14-2013, 12:10am
I saw a total of one just the other day when I was in N.C.

Will
04-14-2013, 7:05am
Carpenter Bees don't sting. The males (the ones who spend all day flying around near their nest) have no stinger. The females are less outgoing, and will only sting if you purposefully provoke them or catch them in your hand. Leave them alone. They're nothing but beneficial. The males may seem aggressive, but it's just curiosity. They will always investigate anything strange/new, including people wandering by.

lspencer534
04-14-2013, 8:31am
Carpenter Bees don't sting. The males (the ones who spend all day flying around near their nest) have no stinger. The females are less outgoing, and will only sting if you purposefully provoke them or catch them in your hand. Leave them alone. They're nothing but beneficial. The males may seem aggressive, but it's just curiosity. They will always investigate anything strange/new, including people wandering by.

Did not know that the males don't sting. I view carpenter bees as a pest, although they're now a necessary pest. I don't like their boring into any unpainted wood to make their home, particularly the way they make 5-10 starter holes before finding their "sweet spot".

Montehall
04-14-2013, 9:43am
I've got them angry bastards living in a tree adjacent to my driveway. If you want them, come get them.

63C2splitter
04-14-2013, 10:12am
Bee keepers around here move the hives to South Texas for the winter. They are just now bringing them back for the Spring and Summer.

78SA
04-14-2013, 11:37am
I saw a couple while mowing today.

MikeB
04-14-2013, 11:51am
None around here yet.
Had to shovel off the walkway this morning (snow flurries).

Montehall
04-14-2013, 4:07pm
We have lots of honey bees here! At preschool we have to warn the kids to wear shoes in the area of the lawn that has little clover flowers.

My friend just recently did some bee keeping locally and gave me some of the honey...so delicious!!! Best I have ever had!

I just learned recently that if you have a problem with bees you can post it up on Craigslist and a local beekeeper will gladly come collect them. Makes sense but something I had never thought about.
As long as the hive is readily accessible.