PDA

View Full Version : Harmonic Balancer...take 2

zz4vetteguy
03-30-2013, 7:12pm
Last year I just had the harmonic balancer replaced in my 01....literally almost exactly a year March 16. So while having my oil changed the dealership told me it was squeeking, and I told them that I just paid ya'll to fix it and it should not be bad already.

Since it was just over a year, and a car with over 100K they had to refer to GM about what to do. They came up with a pretty good comprimise as far as I think, GM pays a 1/3, the dealership pays a 1/3, and I pay a 1/3 for everything.(since it was past the 12 month mark they could have said..too bad)

My question is, should I let them put another GM part on there, or go out and buy a better one and negotiate on my percentage of the labor since I would be suppling my own part?

thegreenman
04-04-2013, 9:09pm
Hey Joe,

I would think the cheapest route would be the 1/3 option.

It is a PITA to change the balancer, I have upgraded mine twice (long story). I am wondering if you got a bad balancer or if your engine is out of balance enough to destroy the balancer.

I wouldn't install another GM balancer, the rubber in the GM balancer is know to be susceptible to failure due to torque or oil contamination.

I installed an ATI balancer, solid aluminum, no rubber.

Many shops will not install parts purchased by the individual for liability reasons.

zz4vetteguy
04-10-2013, 5:10am
They would not let me go aftermarket, but I only paid $150, so I guess I can't complain all too much